New Camaro - Views - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
New Camaro - Views

OK, being a relative newcomer to any old rivalry between Mustang & Camaro I proceed with caution - make no mistake I AM a Stang man.

Been following the long time developing news on the 2009 Camaro launch & read very good article in latest "Road & Track" where chief designer made some VERY derogatory remarks about the Mustang ( Well he would , wouldn't he !). So what do we all think given the fairly wide knowledge base that now exists for the much vaunted launch.

Me, well I have to say I think the SS will be a heck of a car, all models look very well appointed & certainly rate fairly high in the "Looks" & "Performance "department. Can't say as a new & proud Shelby owner they scare me one bit, & as for you guys who actually know how to make your stangs REALLY perform you could probably care less, especially as stats are very much on paper only @ this point.

I thought the new Challenger looked good certainly cosmetically UNTIL I saw one in the flesh & was very disappointed, maybe the Camaro will turn out the same. Sure we will see some loaded comparative tests against the Mustang, just like recent tests I have viewed "Challenger versus Shelby & Bullet , both with seemingly a distorted anti Mustang perspective. Don't the motoring press like "Mustangs or Ford ?
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: New Camaro - Views

My wife begged me to wait for the new Camaro to come out but I said "nay woman, you know not what you speak of" OK, maybe I didn't say that (my wife has a rolling pin) but I showed her the rear end of the new Camaro and all I have to say is that they (GM) missed it by that much. I'm sure that I'll probably have a mudhole stomped in my a** by one of these things in the future, but then it all goes back to what a person likes.
I look at it like this, one of my favorite cars from the old'n days is a 66 fastback Mustang which could have came with a smallblock Ford engine. Was it the fastest car back then...hardly, but it doesn't keep me from loving that car, just like it won't keep me from loving my Bullitt when my dealer finally comes around to my way of thinking.

As far as the motoring press, they can sit on it and spin.
Mustangs have put both the Camaro and Challenger in the grave and now that they are having a "resurrection" the motoring press can't help wetting themselves like a pup that's happy to see you (the're probably thinking of the extra "ad" income if the truth be told).
Just my opinion though.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: New Camaro

I'm glad the rivalry is back - viva' USA cars!

Though the Camaro & Challenger are surely nice cars -
NO one gets the pony car thing like Ford.

Over nine million+ sold.

The S197 is the best Mustang ever.

GO Ford.

Vaya con Dios.
4thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

*sn95 you mean...
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Like the song says "please don't let me be misunderstood", I will gladly welcome the new Challenger and Camaro , it will be a pleasure seeing either of these cars compared to the mind numbing amount of "butt ugly", "all looks the same" cars on the road. (no offence to the ugly car drivers out there, my wife drives an 05 Accord, IMO one of the ugliest cars ever made, but well made nevertheless)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well English Paul, I thought this was a brilliantly written & thought provoking post that showed sensitivity to the aged rivalry between both Camaro & Mustang owners without being particularly cloying to either.

I am sure that the dearth of replies @ this stage bears no reflection on the skilled & clearly knowledgeable piece you have presented. Perhaps this response may draw a wider audience to your points & further comment.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

@ English Paul
It's because secretly everyone on this forum are diehard Chrysler enthusiasts sent here by the powers that be to snuff out new threads that don't tow the party line.

No I'm just kidding, it could be because the new Camaro's engine is going to be killer and it makes people uncomfortable to think about it (not you because, well, you have a GT 500), just my opinion though.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

& a very good opinion & perhaps very pertinent - good thought
Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVII View Post
@ English Paul
It's because secretly everyone on this forum are diehard Chrysler enthusiasts sent here by the powers that be to snuff out new threads that don't tow the party line.

No I'm just kidding, it could be because the new Camaro's engine is going to be killer and it makes people uncomfortable to think about it (not you because, well, you have a GT 500), just my opinion though.
Meh, it's engine before was, and still is, considered killer but that didn't help save it from dying off....so, I'm not overly concerned with this newer offering either. It look terrible to me, and that is the only thing that bothers me...just means I have to look at that ugly thing in my rear view.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Saw this...made me think of this thread and my views of the camaro...

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Regular

Region: Tennessee

That's awesome

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Holy crap, that is one butt ugly interior.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
It's ok, it matches the exterior and the owner's hair do.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
you really think so. that was the one thing i liked a bit. Its funny MY wife has been begging me to wait till the camaro comes out. she likes the way it looks. But......stangs are so easily upgradable. Moding our cars is so much fun and easy to understand. Not to mention how much of an option we have when it comes to parts. EVERYONE makes parts for mustangs. It is the an american iconic car. Its a car that everyone can own is some shape way or form.

i will wait to see what they say about the way the camaro rides. As for the challenger, ive sat in one...im sorry that is one ugly interior! What a turn off. The outside is nice but more can be done to it.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i think the power and price of the new camaro is impressive.

however, i think it is one fugly car.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

hahahahahaha

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
i think the power and price of the new camaro is impressive.

however, i think it is one fugly car.
why, what do you find fugly about it. man i really intrested. you dont like the body lines? i have to admit i really dont like the front at all, but the rear looks nice, wide, good flares.

what is it you dont like?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

He probably doesn't like the same stuff I don't like. The body lines flow about as well as frozen water. The contours, lines, everything about the exterior suck. It looks like something you would find in a lego box.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
He probably doesn't like the same stuff I don't like. The body lines flow about as well as frozen water. The contours, lines, everything about the exterior suck. It looks like something you would find in a lego box.
Man i dont love it either but really thats what you think of it venom? your right the lines dont flow well....but you dont like the rear end?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So question. this is a pick of the new challenger that i took a ride in at lake George this Sept. do you like the body lines of this. cause i LOVED the exterior of this. But hated the inside. What do you think?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I think the new challenger is pure tits...and I would love to park one in my carport next to the cobra. I about broke my neck each time one of the 3 I saw in Lake George went by...and it would have to be orange.

But to answer your other question, yes, I think the *** end of the craparo looks hoorible too. Looks like a flattened triangle. It looks like they took the 70's split grill and stuck it on the back and replaced the grill with tail lights. lol
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I just think we are all a little worried that the new camaros will be stompin on your mustangs come summer, the V6 is rated at 300hp and i think it was 425 for the SS. It makes our **** look weak.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ Nope, not really all too worried myself.

Besides, 300 hp + ~4000+ pounds <> fast car. I submit the charger as exhibit A.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^^^ Nope, not really all too worried myself.

Besides, 300 hp + ~4000+ pounds <> fast car. I submit the charger as exhibit A.
yah dont need to be worried about that. a supercharged v8 usally goes near 500 hrs. so for less cost of a camaro SS youll have a better stang.
v8 stang goes for about 32. 32 plus 5 grand (supercharger and intercooler) adds up to 37, add a grand for install your now at 38 grand.

that is the cost of an ss camaro (base price) who knows how much they will actually cost, thats what they say.

and if you go my way, in 2010 the price of the 05-09 stangs will drop significantly, so you buy a used 05 gt, supercharge it and call it a oh so happy day!! probebly get 500 hrs for the cost of 25 grand in total!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:48 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

id rather drive a 89 crx thats 5 colors than that camaro.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by modular2valve View Post
id rather drive a 89 crx thats 5 colors than that camaro.
wow thats the harshest thing i have ever heard said lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion