2014 GT Muffler Delete - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
2014 GT Muffler Delete

I was having problems deciding on an exhaust system. My son talked me into trying a muffler delete. Took the Stang to a local exhaust shop and had them replace the mufflers with straight pipe. Kept the stock tips. Has a really good sound to me. Very little drone in the car...only a little around 2K RPM but not bad.

Black with Black Interior, Brembo Front Brakes, 19x9 Wheels, MMD Hood Strut Kit, Sound Pipe Delete, Muffler Delete...Long Mod Wish List!
FivePointO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePointO View Post
I was having problems deciding on an exhaust system. My son talked me into trying a muffler delete. Took the Stang to a local exhaust shop and had them replace the mufflers with straight pipe. Kept the stock tips. Has a really good sound to me. Very little drone in the car...only a little around 2K RPM but not bad.
Get cat deletes lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Get cat deletes lol
He is probably just fine with muffler delete. He will leave no cats for me.
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Merican5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Now you need to get some nice 4" tips to fill in the gap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1062787633.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	140758  
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
Now you need to get some nice 4" tips to fill in the gap
Woah nice ***
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Woah nice ***
lol thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I do need some 4" tips...they look great on your car!

Black with Black Interior, Brembo Front Brakes, 19x9 Wheels, MMD Hood Strut Kit, Sound Pipe Delete, Muffler Delete...Long Mod Wish List!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ntbruncie...Did you plasti-dip your rear emblem? Looks nice. I also like the Mustang Club of America strip on the side!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePointO View Post
Ntbruncie...Did you plasti-dip your rear emblem? Looks nice. I also like the Mustang Club of America strip on the side!
yea I plastidiped the rear emblem I like the blacked out look lol
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really like it too. Future weekend project

Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
How does the plasti dip hold up to the elements ??
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post
How does the plasti dip hold up to the elements ??
ive had it on for a year now it's held up great I live in Phoenix az so it's made it through the heat of summer and the cold of winter
Old 12-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
ive had it on for a year now it's held up great I live in Phoenix az so it's made it through the heat of summer and the cold of winter
On the to do list....
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ntbruncie...your tag says glock? What kind you have? 30SF here and hopefully a 21 to be added soon also.
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I like PD because you can experiment with it all day long, doesn't hurt anything and is easy to remove if it doesn't work for you.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I've had my fun with PlastiDip. We were gonna do my buddies Evo wheels with orange PD just for the fun of it but he backed out. Didn't wanna spend the money
Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merican5.0 View Post
Ntbruncie...your tag says glock? What kind you have? 30SF here and hopefully a 21 to be added soon also.
I have a couple 45, 40and a 9
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a couple 45, 40and a 9
Yea I finally got tired of buying/finding multiple calibers and finally got rid of all my 9s and 40s and kept my 45s
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merican5.0 View Post
Yea I finally got tired of buying/finding multiple calibers and finally got rid of all my 9s and 40s and kept my 45s
man, we have a ton of calibers, 12 gauge, 45, 40, 9, 5.56, and 38.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yea my main go to calibers right now are .45 and 5.56. Hopefully gonna start a .308 project here soon. Should have my 7.5" AR built in the next week or so also. I have my 12 and 20ga also and .22s and a 357 mag also. I just don't shoot those much. Well my shotguns I do when hunting.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #21

I've been considering doing this to my 14 5.0 for a few weeks now.. My Pops is putting GT500 mufflers on his Bullitt and offered to give me his mufflers.. Still trying I decide which I'd like better.. Decisions, decisions..
TyedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Everybody likes what they like but, muffler deletes turn a nice car into a steel garbage can rolling down a hill. The GT 500 mufflers are classy and still pretty loud when you open it up. You just won't get muscle-car low rpm rumble out of a rear muffler quad OH cam V8, without adding A LOT of racket everywhere else.

There's what sounds cool at first and what you can live with long term. Everyone's tolerance is different. I've had dozens of loud cars in 30 years of hot rodding so, I know what I need out of a DD car.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #23

LHO, I agree.. He wants the GT500's because he thinks the eons that came on his Bullitt are too loud, and what came on mine are too quiet..
Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I think a muffler delete sounds pretty good.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyedUp View Post
LHO, I agree.. He wants the GT500's because he thinks the eons that came on his Bullitt are too loud, and what came on mine are too quiet..
I'm thinking the bullit mufflers may need some surgery to work, though, the 2011 mounts are ball and socket.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #26

LHO, I still haven't decided whether I want his either... Realistically, I've got 1700 miles on my car, so haven't had it long enough to really know whether I like the note or not.. Thinking I'll just wait it out for a bit. No need to rush...
Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyedUp View Post
LHO, I still haven't decided whether I want his either... Realistically, I've got 1700 miles on my car, so haven't had it long enough to really know whether I like the note or not.. Thinking I'll just wait it out for a bit. No need to rush...
good plan....

Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Everybody likes what they like but, muffler deletes turn a nice car into a steel garbage can rolling down a hill.
What makes a muffler delete sound like a steel garbage can rolling down a hill anyways? I had them on my 2012 and my dad has it on his 14 now and I think they sound pretty good. Has a nice tone at idle and sounds great wide open. Like you said everybody like what they like, but I totally disagree on it sounding like a steel garbage can rolling down a hill.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Muffler deletes mean basically no sound control and amplifying everything, in a chassis well known for it's ability to transfer nvh to the cabin. It's the shocking resonance all through the cars structure that makes this a bad idea long term.

Hell man, this isn't a ragged out 88 GT here, driven by a hat-sideways punk trying to impress the ladeez, this is a fairly high priced new car. There is zero benefit from running these things and it's catastrophically loud outside the car and in it. I just don't feel the need to draw that much attention to myself.

That's just what I think, you're entitled to your own opinion

Old 12-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yea have you ridden in one with muffler delete? You can't hear it much on the inside at all. It might be a little louder then what you like but saying it sounds like a garbage can rolling down the hill is a little much. Are you ever going to go long tubes and x pipe or are you just going to stick with axle backs so you can keep it quiet?

Also you say there is 0 benifit of running muffler deletes, but at the same time there is 0 benifit to running a GT500 axle back.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, actually, I did that before I put the GT500s on, just to see if I could live with it. Too much drone and reso under load and if you cracked the throttle more than a 1/4 inch and/or were over 3000 rpm, I was advertising much more than I wanted.

Cool for about 5 minutes until I realized the shortcomings.

Here's one more thing. I can't stand it when cars advertise more than they deliver. I have always hated ricer fart cans and low compression American V8s with cherry bombs, for example. A lot of racket and not a lot of forward motion.

This car is plenty fast for a stock-ish roadie, no doubt but, delivering on performance promises without a lot of dramatics is pretty cool to me these days. Like Goldilocks though, I found the stock cans were way too quiet, most aftermarket (including deletes) way too loud, the GT500s were just right.

Again, it's all my opinion but, it is an informed opinion.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I can understand not wanting to be extremely loud and obnoxious it's just to me on these cars they don't sound bad with just a muffler delete. I will say my 12 had more drone then my dads 14 with muffler delete. I was actually surprised on how quiet his was on the inside with no mufflers. The only thing I was really saying to you though was the whole statement about a trash can rolling down a hill is stupid. I received compliments on my muffler delete on my past mustang all the time. Now am I saying it sounds better then a Borla exhaust? No! But you are looking at a price difference of a good bit haha.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, ok, I'll retract that statement and substitute this one:

Muffler deletes are juvenile and make a good portion of the populace, including your local LEOs, think you are a kcok. Some of your car-park mates might be "wow, cool" but, these are the same people putting 20" chromies on cars, mounting monster tachs and 5 gauge pods, slamming the side skirts into the pavement, etc. Not a reliable or representative sample set.

Both of us are already driving Mustang 5.0s so, we have a bit of a mountain to climb, perception-wise.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Ok, ok, I'll retract that statement and substitute this one:

Muffler deletes are juvenile and make a good portion of the populace, including your local LEOs, think you are a kcok. Some of your car-park mates might be "wow, cool" but, these are the same people putting 20" chromies on cars, mounting monster tachs and 5 gauge pods, slamming the side skirts into the pavement, etc. Not a reliable or representative sample set.

Both of us are already driving Mustang 5.0s so, we have a bit of a mountain to climb, perception-wise.

Actually the one with the muffler delete is a 50 year old guy. Also I don't do the whole car-park deal either. To each it's own but for you to say it's a juvinelle thing to do just makes you juvinelle and covering up for it. Maybe if you didn't drive like an idiot you local LEO wouldn't dislike it. I have plenty of LEO buddies and all of them like it. It's a V8 let it sound like one.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Indeed, to each his own, as I've said repeatedly, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

I do all my racing at the track and...I don't have a car doing the auditory automotive version of helicopter everywhere, hence I don't get pulled over, despite it being Red Candy and a 5.0.

I'm close to 50 myself and, I'll always take demonstrable fast over sounds fast, full stop. I've got this fully loaded boat to do pretty well, I think, in the kind of racing I like.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion