Foreign Import from Detroit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Foreign Import from Detroit?

I thought you guys might like this. A story about my first Mustang experience. Enjoy.

I'm in the Air Force, and while on a deployment overseas I decided that I wanted to buy a new car. I had just gotten divorced, needed a more reliable vehicle, and actually had some money that I could spend. Well, there's this company called Exchange New Car Sells that operates in deployed environments. They sale new cars to service members at a discounted rate and you bypass the normal salesmen bull**** you would see at a dealership. You buy the car from the factory through ENCS and it gets delivered to a dealership close to your home, where you'll go pick it up and be on your way.
I wanted to buy a Dodge Challenger R/T Blacktop Edition. I realize this isn't the best place to say that, but I like fast cars regardless of who makes them. I wound up not having enough money to purchase my vehicle of choice so I would up getting my fourth option. I could have gotten the GT, but didn't want to spend my vacation money. I had just gotten divorced, spent 10 months in a desert, and really just needed a break. So, I bought the 2013 Mustang V6 Premium for $21,000. I got a rebate from the original price and a free Premium upgrade due to a promotion at the time.

So, I get home from my tour and my vehicle is sitting at the dealership waiting for me. I had timed everything perfectly. I go to the lot to inspect my car and am expecting to be able to drive it home the same day. The vehicle was already paid for, and dealership give out tags on the spot while you wait for standard plates. Well, this dealership refused to help me register the car, and wouldn't issue temp plates because as the lady said; "this isn't our vehicle, we won't give you temp plates. We're only getting $50 as a courtesy delivery, so you'll need to do everything yourself." So after a full morning wasted trying to get the dealership to give me the paperwork that was delivered with the car, I went to the DMV by my house to register the car. Paperwork was missing, and the lady at the counter was very knowledgeable and professional. She handed me blank documents of what I was missing, and highlighted areas on my existing documents that needed to be filled out by the dealership.

I got to work the next morning and get off early in order to try and go pick up my car. I get to the dealership around 1 and have them fill out the paperwork correctly in accordance with what I was told by the DMV. They took 3 hours to do that, so it's getting late. I don't have time to make it back to the DMV by my house and then back to the dealership before they closed, so I went to the one closest to the dealership. Now, I'm still in my military uniform. I live 45 minutes away from the dealership and didn't have time to go home to change.

So, I got over to the DMV closest to the dealership, which was still 20 minutes away. The place was relatively empty and I'm one a time crunch. I hand the guy my paperwork, everything filled out properly per prior instructions. And the guy at the DMV handed the paperwork to his boss because he wasn't sure what to do with it. So, they play musical documents with my paperwork passing it along. And the first guy that didn't know what to do with my documents, happened to be a manager. He sat there patronizing me, telling me that they can't register the car, and wanted to offer me speculative advice on what he thinks I should do. I ignored him for the most part, but I also hate being patronized. I may not have graduated college, but I'm not an idiot. He gave me a phone number to call, told me they couldn't help me, and tried to get me to leave. I asked for my paperwork back, so he turned around and asked who had my paperwork. One of the workers shouted out that a separate manager had my documents and was on the phone with headquarters discussing the matter. This pissed me off. I have no idea why this guy was even talking to me in the first place. If you can't help me, and you ask another person for assistance, then why are you even still talking to me? Let the other person deal with it and be done.

So, after a half hour of hearing this moron talk and waiting for the other manager to get back with me, she finally comes out. She tells me that they can't register my vehicle because it's a foreign import. .... What? I said to the lady, "it's a Ford Mustang, you can't get any more American than that" After a ten minute discussion, and hearing line after line of bull**** coming from their mouths, and homeboy telling me more speculative advise based on what he thinks may work rather than actual facts, I decided to just go back to the first DMV and talk to the lady I originally spoke to. So, I snatched my documents out of the ladies hand, looked through the folder to ensure everything was there, and proceeded to walk away. I get to the door and the lady shouts across the room, "Well, what do to want us to do." I was just gonna leave, and not cause a scene. After all, I was still in my military uniform, and I do respect it enough to not act like an ******* while wearing it. But, after everything I had been through in the days prior, up to this lady telling me that I just spent $21,000 on a Ford Mustang that was illegal to drive in the State of New Jersey because it was a "foreign import" even though the title said it was manufactured in Dearborn, Michigan. I turned around, and in a very commanding, tired-of-your-**** voice, in front of all 10 customers in the lobby. I said "I want you to figure your **** out." I then turned around, tossed my cousin the keys to the car and told him that he was driving. On our drive home, he said he never seen me that pissed off before and was absolutely surprised at how well I kept it in.

I got the car registered the next day at the first DMV and went and picked it up. But when I got back to the dealership, I noticed that they put their advertisement on the back of my car. After the bull**** that they put me through the day before and telling me that they wouldn't help register my car because they didn't sell it to me at their marked up price. I pulled all four of their advertisements off of my car and threw it at their window. I got in my new 2013 Mustang and went about my business.

At the end of the day, I never would have thought that those "Imported from Detroit" commercials would have been taken so seriously.

Only in New Jersey.
aminus212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
1sr of all thanks for your service and 2nd of all congrats on the mustang ! Post pics !
Old 12-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
And srry for the things you went through gov buildings are the most inefficient things I've ever seen
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's all good. After a day or so, I thought it was kind of funny. I know GM has a factory in Canada and it makes some Camaro's there, but that white beauty parked in my lot is Grade A Americana. Also, I tried posting pictures in the comments, it doesn't work for me. I was able to throw them in an album though. I'm still trying to figure out the website, I'm not too computer savvy.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Long story, but so worth the read! Thanks man!
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Wow, which DMV was it? I'm from NJ too and the one around me in Toms River is pretty good and so is the one in Lakewood but the on in Hamilton... no...

And good to know how that new car sales thing works, I'm active AF and I've seen it numerous times out in the system. Also good to know what to expect I guess. You stationed at MDL or Earle or somewhere else?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

They delivered my car to Haldeman Ford in Hamilton. I didn't know Hamilton had a DMV to be honest. I went to the one in Plainsboro right next to the Quaker Bridge Mall. Those guys were worthless. I went to the DMV in Mt. Holly and they hooked me up, but they're used to having military people around. Yeah, ENCS has good deals, but what they fail to mention is that the price doesn't include tax, title, registration. So once you buy the car, you still have to pay that 7% tax and the 4 years of registration. And yes, I'm at MDL, but I wont be home until April. I volunteered for another trip, 3rd time in 2 years.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oof, when I said the "Hamilton" one I meant that one by the QB Mall... Still in Hamilton Township IIRC. Those guys have their heads so far up their asses that they see the world from behind their teeth.

The one in Mt. Holly is great though, had to go there last year 2 days before I deployed because my license was going to expire while I was deployed and the dumbasses who do the final sign on your deployment checklist were freaking out. Told the lady what was up and they moved me right to the front and got me out of there in about 10 minutes. I don't usually like to get special consideration for being military but when I'm about to leave and not see my family for months... yeah.

And GL on the next deployment, a lot of times (IMO) they don't like guys to go so fast but it all depends on the situation. Stay safe and make sure you have someone to take care of that brand new Mustang you won't get to drive haha. Don't know how long you've been in but I've seen guys park their cars in the dorm or work parking lots for 6 months... no...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I was only home for 4 1/2 months between trips. I left in October, so I've been overseas for 2 months already. The car is with a good friend, but he wound up getting tasked to, so a different friend in Maryland is gonna take care of it for me for the last 3 months. Been in 8 years, so I'm way beyond dorm life. Parking a brand new car for 6 months just doesn't sit well with me. The last thing I want to do is to come home and have to do maintenance on the car.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol ok not your first few rodeos then. Well like I said stay safe over there, hopefully its parked somewhere covered after all this wonderful weather we've been having...

Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My friend that's watching my car has a 2013 Mustang GT so he's not really driving my car except to wash it and move it so the tires don't get flat spots. He said that him and a bunch of other Mustang owners went to an empty lot and was drifting and doing donuts in the snow. It sounds like fun.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eff that... all sorts of slush and debris and crud shooting up onto my undercarriage no thank you. That's how you get rust issues when the car is 3 or 4 years old... I don't DD my car tho.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion