Mustang in snow ** FUN** - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Mustang in snow ** FUN**

So we got some snow out here in the east, my boy hit me up saying that he is going to find a empty parking lot later tonight that is not plow and have some fun in his M3. He told me to come along and try it so I can get a better feel for my car. This is my first time driving a RWD car in the snow. So I might take him up on his offer. Have any of you guys messed around in the snow with your Mustangs ?

[IMG][/IMG]
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
You can do it, I did it in the past with my older Mustang just have to be real smooth and if you get more than 3 inches on the road its gets a bit more adventurous. My newer one I have not tried and really have no plans to. I am fortunate enough now to have a truck that I drive when there is snow or salt on the road.

As for parking lot fun, be careful with that to I destroyed a rim on a car when I was in high school. Slide into a pole, was doing donuts and it got away from me. lol It's fun but real easy to mess up.

Expensive mistake.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
watch out for poles

Watch A BMW Crash Into A Light Pole During Some Failed Parking Lot Hoonage
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wow he drilled that pole wasn't even out of control just wasn't paying attention!
Jayday20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post
So we got some snow out here in the east, my boy hit me up saying that he is going to find a empty parking lot later tonight that is not plow and have some fun in his M3. He told me to come along and try it so I can get a better feel for my car. This is my first time driving a RWD car in the snow. So I might take him up on his offer. Have any of you guys messed around in the snow with your Mustangs ?

[/URL][/IMG]
Same today I had to drive my gt in 3 inches of snow, my neighborhood was unplowed untill later on. The main roads were salted and clear so that was fine. Mustangs are undriveble in more than 3 inches of snow. I have no traction controll but I have abs and I tryed it out today lol. I gave it a nice little quater shot and she was all over the place, gt's are especially tail happy in the snow. But it's so much fun!
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had 2 - 3 inches on the ground in my apartment complex this morning unplowed. Didn't even skid a little bit, snow tires for the win.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I used to drift snowed in parkinglots like a boss when i had my 2000 v6 automatic. Don't think i tried it in my GT though. Always make sure you check to make sure theres no curbs or poles, too.

Last year i had a kid come into my work, begging me to tell the police he lost control of his car and wrecked into a pole outside my building. Apparently, he had been driving in the parkinglot of a school, and completely wrapped the car around a thin concrete pole. So he drove across town to park right infront of the barrier of my store. As if the cops couldn't tell. Lol.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have always used winter weather and parking lots for tuning my skills. There is nothing better for getting skid pad experience. It teaches you the light touch that is valuable in an emergency and on the track.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Definitely take him up on the offer. Most local authorities won't give a **** unless they're having a bad day. I don't have my Mustang yet so I can't attest to that but I have owned 4 RWD vehicles, two auto 80's Camaros, an old Dodge D150, and a 5spd 80's MR2. Not only is it an absolute BLAST, but an invaluable learning experience. In my 7-8 years worth of winter driving I have no reservations about driving a RWD car at the speed limit in 6" of snow. And I've only been stuck twice; once parked outside a girl's house and my 2wd truck sank into a snow drift, and the other time a conversion van didn't see my little MR2 and ran me off the road. The MR2 was also lowered on coils with summer tires, drove it for 3 winters.

Try to find a parking lot you're familiar with so it's easier to avoid curbs if they're hidden in deep snow. Most plowed parking lots are still plenty slippery. Walmarts and grocery stores are usually the best late at night, and anything that melted during the day will be ice by then.
KSconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Region: Minnesota
This is exactly what I did when we got our first snow. It was also my first time in snow with a RWD car. It helps a lot! Have fun and be safe!
Shawnsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06 View Post
Bawahahaha!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine sits in the garage waitin for the ice in my work parking lot to thaw out.. Roads r fine here but don't wanna drive it at work in the ice... Been there since Thursday...
Jsansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Living in Fairbanks, AK, driving in snow and ice is a daily occurrence from mid October through mid to late April. The Mustang is a great winter car with snow tires and traction control on.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

unfortunately all the snow melted and turned into ice maybe next time.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely a great learning experience. I took my GT out to an uncleared lot last Friday after we got some and was surprised at how well mannered it was with the nannies on and my all season tires that I put on for the winter. Unless I was hitting the throttle she was fine and when I would push the car to go into a slide it was easily correctable. Of course the real fun started when I turned off the traction control.

And unless you are being utterly insane, if a cop stops you, tell him you aren't familiar with driving the car in snow and wanted to get a feel for it before going out on the roads - it has always worked for me.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Definitely a great learning experience. I took my GT out to an uncleared lot last Friday after we got some and was surprised at how well mannered it was with the nannies on and my all season tires that I put on for the winter. Unless I was hitting the throttle she was fine and when I would push the car to go into a slide it was easily correctable. Of course the real fun started when I turned off the traction control.

And unless you are being utterly insane, if a cop stops you, tell him you aren't familiar with driving the car in snow and wanted to get a feel for it before going out on the roads - it has always worked for me.
LOL thanks for the info but it also works because you're a female.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
As long as you're familiar with the parking lot I'm sure it's fine. Hate to find a curb you didn't know was there, or a hole.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL thanks for the info but it also works because you're a female.
Not really - my brother has done it as well and I'm not one to flirt to get things - women that weasel out of things on their looks/flirting drive me up a wall.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

My GT is parked in the garage waiting for the instant rust they put down on the roads to wash away. Might be there awhile...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
My GT is parked in the garage waiting for the instant rust they put down on the roads to wash away. Might be there awhile...
Ugh it's horrible, I've had no choice but to take the stang the past 2 days, I will be heading to the self serve wash today after work to clean the undercarriage
Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I drove the CR-V in today. Red car is now white 1/2 of the way up the sides from all this crap. One reason I don't ever want to have an expensive or really nice DD around here.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Got the chance to have some fun in the snow, it was a different experience and I loved it...

Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Got the chance to have some fun in the snow, it was a different experience and I loved it...

You know that little red line near your rpms try not to bounce off of that lol jk jk looks awesome tho
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ugh, no eff snow. That's cool and all but in a truck. Plz keep all that crud/salt/ice/sand out from up under my chassis and that awesome instant rust spot under the battery tray...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion