advantage of dyno tune over store bought tune - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

LOL Rapinator knows me... I love to joke around had him going once. I think he'll be fine this time. Damn maybe i'm a troll too...LOL

dobytroll3... I like it!!!
Lmao. Were all trolls. Lol. Pay the toll to the troll.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Nice numbers guys. Anyone using "Brenspeed" tune files?
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I'm with my man on this one.There ain't no way a dyno tune pulled 40 HP more over dudes canned tune that just had bolt on mods Unless the canned tune was done by a homeless crack head who is smoking the pipe, then I could see 40 more HP. I hate to call someone out but liar liar mustang engine on fire.

Someone MAYBE and I mean MAYBE get 2 to 5 rwhp from dyno tune over a canned tune with just bolt on mods and again , Maybe. The canned tunes from Bama, Steeda, MPT, Lund, VMP etc squeeze out the car' safe levels of power. Sure my MPT tune made 3 more rwhp over my bama tune but all give similar results.

Now, the only other explanation for the 40 added HP would be the dyno guy has ones cars WOT compression set so freaking high that ones engine is gonna blow up from running crazy lean.

The person is either lying about the dyno gain or find another dyno tuner because dudes ***** is gonna blow the F up.
How in the hell does compression change at WOT? Maybe you meant something else? An engines compression ratio is fixed as far as I know, and cannot be changed without physically altering the combustion chamber. Ie domed be flat or dished pistons, shaving the head, thicker head gasket etc...
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch10 View Post

How in the hell does compression change at WOT? Maybe you meant something else? An engines compression ratio is fixed as far as I know, and cannot be changed without physically altering the combustion chamber. Ie domed be flat or dished pistons, shaving the head, thicker head gasket etc...
Noticed that myself. Didnt bother to comment.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
I'm with my man on this one.There ain't no way a dyno tune pulled 40 HP more over dudes canned tune that just had bolt on mods Unless the canned tune was done by a homeless crack head who is smoking the pipe, then I could see 40 more HP. I hate to call someone out but liar liar mustang engine on fire.

Someone MAYBE and I mean MAYBE get 2 to 5 rwhp from dyno tune over a canned tune with just bolt on mods and again , Maybe. The canned tunes from Bama, Steeda, MPT, Lund, VMP etc squeeze out the car' safe levels of power. Sure my MPT tune made 3 more rwhp over my bama tune but all give similar results.

Now, the only other explanation for the 40 added HP would be the dyno guy has ones cars WOT compression set so freaking high that ones engine is gonna blow up from running crazy lean.

The person is either lying about the dyno gain or find another dyno tuner because dudes ***** is gonna blow the F up.
Alright gentlemen, allow me to clarify all of this for you. I am not a liar, an idiot, a guy who's car is about to blow up or any of the other eye rolling assumptions that you are making about me. My car pulled **40rwhp** out of the tune, period. No where in my statement is there anything stating that it was *over* anything other than my *stock tune*. If you misread something or misinterpreted, I suggest re-reading the post. When I said *extra horse power*, I was in fact referring to gains made by the tune, period. I meant what I said when I told all of you that I am not one of these internet warriors. I am not going to belittle one tune over another just for the sake of what is on my car.
Let me lay this out as succinctly as I can. When you pay $400+ for a dyno tune, you aren't just paying for gains. You are paying for service on an individual level, peace of mind of knowing (first hand) who is tuning your car, the security of having the resources of a shop at your disposal if things should go sour, and you are eliminating the the obnoxious and tedious task of data logging for the sake of sending revisions back and forth via email. Granted, all of this peace of mind with a dyno is dependent on your tuner being competent enough to do the job correctly the first time. This is why you do what I do, and that's research as extensively as you possibly can before making the plunge. I spent hours doing searches on mustang forums and contacting member regarding his service. I also grilled my friend who recommended him every time I saw him for months.
Dyno or canned, you have to research. AED, Steeda, Blow By Racing are just a few examples of excellent tuners that send canned tunes. Steeda has *NEVER* had an engine blow on any of their tunes, AED is one of the best in the business, as is Blow By Racing. Again, those are just a few. My point is, a dyno tune is simply something that not everyone can either afford or care to shell out the cash for. Others just have a tuner that they favor that are just too far away. I wanted a dyno tune. It wasn't just about power, it was about individualized service. And in my opinion, it paid off nicely. Take all of this as you will. I hope all of you have a good night.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A tuner can command your WOT ratio to what ever they want. Its easy, they just type in the command ratio. It should be set for 12 parts to 1 or around there during WOT. The higher WOT ratio the more HP you will get but on the dark side is you start to run lean. You start running 13 plus parts to 1 and your gonna blow your engine up from running lean.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A tuner can command your WOT ratio to what ever they want. Its easy, they just type in the command ratio. It should be set for 12 parts to 1 or around there during WOT. The higher WOT ratio the more HP you will get but on the dark side is you start to run lean. You start running 13 plus parts to 1 and your gonna blow your engine up from running lean.
Ok so now I'm assuming the ratio your referring to is "Lambda" and not "Compression" correct?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

You are not talking about CR... You are talking about the stoichiometric ratio between air and fuel. The perfect ratio where on paper all fuel is burned is 14.7:1. You are not going to burn a hole in anything with an AFR of 13:1 especially not on an NA motor. Some tuners will run FI a little richer just to be safe.
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
Stock tune with Boss Intake was 364rwhp. After her tune, she managed to put down 404rwhp @ 7350rpm. Been checking for codes and so far zip and the car runs like a champ. My car was given a moderate tune and I was gifted with a strong engine. I'll give the tuner a call next week and see if he can send over the graphs and numbers. You're welcome to call BS all that you like, I'm only trying to share my experience. This site is replete with internet warriors, and I am not one of them.
Guess I did indeed misinterperate what u said. I read it as ur guy got 40 additional hp from ur previous canned tune. My bad. And like i said above, everyone should get a dyno at some point for the experience. We agree on that.
Looking at ur dyno tune tho, compared to my canned Bama tune, I am starting to believe maybe Bama has found more hp than ur dyno guy. I pulled 400 without a Boss intake!
Troy
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You are not talking about CR... You are talking about the stoichiometric ratio between air and fuel. The perfect ratio where on paper all fuel is burned is 14.7:1. You are not going to burn a hole in anything with an AFR of 13:1 especially not on an NA motor. Some tuners will run FI a little richer just to be safe.
Yes sir, I was referring to the air fuel ratio on WOT should be around 12 parts to 1 ratio on all 2011 plus. The air fuel ratio tolerances are different for 11 plus compared to the 4.6 engine. You set a air fuel ratio on WOT at 13 parts to 1 that's gonna spell disaster because the car will run lean. Sure you will make more HP but one will be buying a new engine shortly. Lol
Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
I pulled 400 without a Boss intake!

Not to take away from your pull, I was able to put down >400 with just JBA axle backs, K&N drop in, and a custom tune. Also stock intake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	141534  
agit8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Tony fromTuners Inc. tuned mine also definitely happy with the results.
Rickytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
advantage of dyno tune over store bought tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Guess I did indeed misinterperate what u said. I read it as ur guy got 40 additional hp from ur previous canned tune. My bad. And like i said above, everyone should get a dyno at some point for the experience. We agree on that.

Looking at ur dyno tune tho, compared to my canned Bama tune, I am starting to believe maybe Bama has found more hp than ur dyno guy. I pulled 400 without a Boss intake!

Troy

My car was still making power at 7350rpm, that's just where he chose to stop as he was worried about the valve train. Once I get rid of my cats, we're really going to be in business.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

This coming from a guy who swapped from three different tunes companies and blew his motor. He blames Bama. Because he had to get multiple updates on his tune. Even though when his motor blew the Bama tune was not loaded. Right Rapinator?
Where and the hell are you getting your info? I didnt blow my motor on a email tune so ha nice try. Bama is a joke

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

I just dont like email tunes. Yes I had to get different tunes from them and yes I tried 3 different ones. Just never got the results I was looking for. Thats the only reason I do not like email tunes

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Motor went bc to much nitrous on stock internals
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Where and the hell are you getting your info? I didnt blow my motor on a email tune so ha nice try. Bama is a joke

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

I just dont like email tunes. Yes I had to get different tunes from them and yes I tried 3 different ones. Just never got the results I was looking for. Thats the only reason I do not like email tunes

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Motor went bc to much nitrous on stock internals
Houston, We have a problem. Mayday Mayday.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZ_65 View Post
Hey guys, I just signed up. I'm a regular over at AFM...Anyway...A canned tune when you're stock is fine. Huge seat of your pants gains!.... But I'll have to respectively disagree with everyone on Canned being better than Dyno...When i was stock, I ran my BAMA 91P tune and it was great. Once my CAI, Boss Manifold, 3.73s went on (all in one sitting)... the updated BAMA tune had me pinging like crazy...My tuner had to abort the dyno pulls and only netted like 363hp.... He did his own tune, his own tweaks here and there over the next few pulls, and I finished the day at 381hp with no pinging (not bad for an automatic with the Boss mani..). Shifts in the dyno tune are a little firmer/responsive...Car runs GREAT.... Now, i'm sure I could have data-logged and gone through the hassle of emailing BAMA back and forth to try and get it right, etc...But then I'd have to find a PC to update my SCT (I'm a MAC guy and so are my friends...Work computers block that site, etc...)... Huge hassle...

The way I see it... if you're sick, you go see the doctor in person. You don't just tell him your symptoms over the phone. Every person is different. As every car is different. What's good for your car might kill mine. A generic tune written for some guys Mustang in Philly 3 years ago may not be the best tune for your Arizona car today..
You had a custom dyno tune of 381whp? I have BAMA on with CAI, Straight pipes and catback and I pulled a 423whp. No pings. And this was in 71 degrees in Dallas.

Data logging takes 7 minutes... 9-10 minutes including hooking up your device.

Driving to a dyno tuner takes 30-45minutes. Bigger hassle for bolt on parts for a 15-18whp gain.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:

oh snap. It just got ugly in here. Shots fired!
KONA!!! Why u gotta go and call Gizmodoby ugly!
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

You had a custom dyno tune of 381whp? I have BAMA on with CAI, Straight pipes and catback and I pulled a 423whp. No pings. And this was in 71 degrees in Dallas.

Data logging takes 7 minutes... 9-10 minutes including hooking up your device.

Driving to a dyno tuner takes 30-45minutes. Bigger hassle for bolt on parts for a 15-18whp gain.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

KONA!!! Why u gotta go and call Gizmodoby ugly!
^lmao. Ugly in a beautiful way.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Temperature shouldn't matter when your graph is using a correction factor (STD/SAE). When you are comparing dyno vs. dyno just make sure they are both using the same correction factor. Nice pull!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agit8or View Post

Temperature shouldn't matter when your graph is using a correction factor (STD/SAE). When you are comparing dyno vs. dyno just make sure they are both using the same correction factor. Nice pull!
Thx. Forgot to put also Boss Intake
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Yes. 381hp and 337tq with my only mods being the BOSS Intake and Steeda CAI. Automatic transmission with 3.73 (on 20" rims if that matters?). ...Tuner told me if I had a manual, and the stock intake instead of the BOSS, he would have had me over 400..Said the BOSS manifold is a power killer on the Dyno...And autos naturally dino 10-15 HP lower than manuals........So on Tuesday, when I get re-tuned after my header install, I will have the following power mods:

-Bassani Longtubes + Hiflo cats
-Catted X pipe (full Bassani cat-back)
-BBK 85mm TB
-Steeda BOSS 101mm CAI upgrade
-BOSS 302 Intake

Hoping for 420hp... ......
-2011 GT , 6AT, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo cats, Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, BOSS 302 Intake, Steeda BOSS 101mm CAI, BBK85mm TB, Eibach Pro Shocks/Struts/Springs, BMR LCAs, UPR Relo. Brackets..
-1965 FB 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Raven Exhaust..
CHIZ_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Without a tune, I could see the BOSS intake producing less HP, but not with a tune. It may lose low end torque but with a tune should pick up power in the upper rpm range
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
What's all your guys dyno sheets trap??? And on a n/a motor 12.5-13.0 AFR are going to be fine
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agit8or View Post
Without a tune, I could see the BOSS intake producing less HP, but not with a tune. It may lose low end torque but with a tune should pick up power in the upper rpm range
I hear the boss intake is bad for the auto cuz you need to rev to about 7500rpm to fully extract the benefits of the mod.

But that said peak HP should be hit at well below 7500. It should start peaking about 6800rpm and level off being just a few HP all the way to 7500. This peak HP should be something like 10hp more than the stocker.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post
What's all your guys dyno sheets trap??? And on a n/a motor 12.5-13.0 AFR are going to be fine
I'm certainly not a professional dyno tuner. I did have my car dyno and spoke with the dyno tuner at the shop. This dyno tuner I went too is highly reputable in my area and is considered an amazing mad scientist when it comes to his trade. The guy is amazing and told me he wouldn't set the air fuel ratio over 12 parts to 1 for WOT in 11 plus mustangs. I personally trust this guy and something must be to it because MPT, Bama and Steeda all automatically set my tunes to have 12 parts to 1 ratio WOT.

12.5 to 13 parts to 1 AFR is going to be way lean and cause engine issues. Granted, you will make more HP and torque but it will be way slower when your engine blows up. Lmao.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
I'm certainly not a professional dyno tuner. I did have my car dyno and spoke with the dyno tuner at the shop. This dyno tuner I went too is highly reputable in my area and is considered an amazing mad scientist when it comes to his trade. The guy is amazing and told me he wouldn't set the air fuel ratio over 12 parts to 1 for WOT in 11 plus mustangs. I personally trust this guy and something must be to it because MPT, Bama and Steeda all automatically set my tunes to have 12 parts to 1 ratio WOT.

12.5 to 13 parts to 1 AFR is going to be way lean and cause engine issues. Granted, you will make more HP and torque but it will be way slower when your engine blows up. Lmao.
they do it because it's a canned tune that they send to you and for them to protect their *** they make it run a bit rich.. lean in these cars is around 13.3-13.5. a afr of 12.6-13.0 is not going to cause any problems being a bolt on car N/A... and most tuners are setting the 5.0's to around 12.3-12.5 for sake of being safe because every car is different , so safer is better for them but not always optimal..
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post

they do it because it's a canned tune that they send to you and for them to protect their *** they make it run a bit rich.. lean in these cars is around 13.3-13.5. a afr of 12.6-13.0 is not going to cause any problems being a bolt on car N/A... and most tuners are setting the 5.0's to around 12.3-12.5 for sake of being safe because every car is different , so safer is better for them but not always optimal..
I hear ya on that. Perhaps the local dyno tuner in my area plays a more careful conservative approach when making dyno tunes. I know he will command the AFR for what ever someone wants but doesn't recommend going over 12 parts to 1 WOT Much better to run a bit rich than too lean..lol
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #62

Region: Nebraska
If you do a canned tune make sure to have to have dyno runs done before and after loading the canned tune, to ensure you're getting what was advertised. I'm saying that from personal experience. Loading a popular tune in my '13 gt, I gained ONE hp and LOST eight foot pounds of torque!
nebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch. Who was that from?
Troy
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
So, if I had my BONE STOCK '13 gt tuned, how much power is gained? I have the 6 speed with everything factory all the way to the filter.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Could you advise what "datalog" is? Have posted a thread asking for this explaination to no avail. Just bought a tuner from AM but yet to install as car in storage till spring.
Appreciate !!!!!!

Thanks...............
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
Could you advise what "datalog" is? Have posted a thread asking for this explaination to no avail. Just bought a tuner from AM but yet to install as car in storage till spring.
Appreciate !!!!!!

Thanks...............
This is why there aren't many responses to your question cuz Yahoos never Google-Bing simple questions for simple answers that takes 3 secs.

Cuz apparently we rather take 2 minutes to troll our answers with indirect solutions to web engine search worthy questions.

That being said datalog is when you take the device and plug it into the port and it will [...search Google to continue...]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3696612330.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	142328   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3765279128.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	142329  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion