Im so stuck!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Im so stuck!!!!

Okay I'm stuck between a kenne bell!!! Or a all motor build Heads, cam and some nitrous. My car has 75,000 miles I've got Long tubes, intake, SLP cat back and a tune. I've seen videos of a kenne bell 3v getting pulled by a 3v on a 100 shot. With full bolt ons.
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Build the motor first before a blower. No need to do heads and all, just forged the bottom end and cs if you want a bit more horsepower and sound. Then go FI.
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'd personally go KB but that's just me
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
I'd personally go KB but that's just me
Yeaaaaaaah, you say that now, but waitnuntil you blow your motor and damage the head unit and have to buy a new one lol. Blew my motor because I didn't forge it first and it shot shrapnel up into my intake manifold. You live and learn I guess.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Yeaaaaaaah, you say that now, but waitnuntil you blow your motor and damage the head unit and have to buy a new one lol. Blew my motor because I didn't forge it first and it shot shrapnel up into my intake manifold. You live and learn I guess.
I was referring to the OP. He asked a question and I gave him my opinion. Did I ever say I wouldn't forge it first?
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Build the motor first before a blower. No need to do heads and all, just forged the bottom end and cs if you want a bit more horsepower and sound. Then go FI.
So forge the bottom first. What parts will I need to do so?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post

So forge the bottom first. What parts will I need to do so?
Rods, pistons, a crankshaft and prison rings.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You'd need a forged roasting assembly kit. All kinds of mustang performance stores sell them. I've got a kb on my 4.6 running ten psi no issues yet , but I'm gonna just get a new shortblock with a forged bottom end at some point.
08mustang, what was your set up when you blew your motor?
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Rods, pistons, a crankshaft and prison rings.
You don't need a crankshaft.... That's only if your looking to go insane power and if your looking to do that then you need other parts first. Just do rods and pistons and you'll be fine. My motor has had a blower from day one and has 40k miles on it now and runs perfect and strong. A 75k mile motor is on the downward slope of its life and a supercharger would do nothing but accelerate that life span. Its also the luck of the draw. Your motor could last forever and be fine with not forging it but it could blow the second you crank it... Its just one of those things you take a chance on... I have a Whipple with cams going in now and should be over 500 to the wheels when I'm done. Stock bottom end for now but I'm trying my luck with it. If you don't want to strain your motor much put a turbo on it and you'll be fine.
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Right now I'm sitting at a lil over 470 rwhp with cams, been good so far , I don't ride it too hard tho. Drove it only on weekends and punched hard every so often. It's been good so far. i have a good tune which is important as well. But only time will tell how long it holds for haha.
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nitrous does wonders haha!! I was running a 100, full bolt ons & cam. Stock bottom end & running strong. I've beaten a 08 Bullitt with a Whipple on 11lbs, full bolts & cam. A 2012 GT500 stock, & a 08 GT supercharged, full bolt ons (475rwhp).

Recently went to a 125 shot & beat a 2014 GT with a roush supercharger on 7lbs. Guy was pissed! Put his car on Craigslist the next day haha.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

I have videos on every race.
Franco09GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Nitrous does not run out of breath at high rpms like a small blower would. If it's one of the bigger KBs it might be able to match up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd204 View Post
You'd need a forged roasting assembly kit. All kinds of mustang performance stores sell them. I've got a kb on my 4.6 running ten psi no issues yet , but I'm gonna just get a new shortblock with a forged bottom end at some point.
08mustang, what was your set up when you blew your motor?
My set up was a stock bottom end, a turbo and 8ish lbs of boost. Made 477 rwhp with the timing backed right off and a pretty rich tune. Had it for about a week and "BOOM"! Mind you I came on to it fairly often. I've got just over 35,000 kms on it, whatever that is in miles (I think like 20,000).
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post

You don't need a crankshaft.... That's only if your looking to go insane power and if your looking to do that then you need other parts first. Just do rods and pistons and you'll be fine. My motor has had a blower from day one and has 40k miles on it now and runs perfect and strong. A 75k mile motor is on the downward slope of its life and a supercharger would do nothing but accelerate that life span. Its also the luck of the draw. Your motor could last forever and be fine with not forging it but it could blow the second you crank it... Its just one of those things you take a chance on... I have a Whipple with cams going in now and should be over 500 to the wheels when I'm done. Stock bottom end for now but I'm trying my luck with it. If you don't want to strain your motor much put a turbo on it and you'll be fine.
The reason I say crank is: its reassurance for safety, it gives you the opportunity to go bigger in the future and for the $6-700 for a good forged crank, you will say that money if you ever decide to go bigger. Labor for installing rotating assembly along with balancing and machining if necessary is roughly $2, 000. If you decide down the road to add a crank, expect another $2, 000 bill because they have to remove the rods and such to get the crank all done up, or so they will say. Then you're in for $4, 000 total labor when you coulda just paid the $2, 000 labor and extra $600 for a good crank. Might as well.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The stock crank can handle well within 600+ HP, It's all about RPM's. Now if you're building a wild beast and plan on putting down 800+ I would go forged crank. There is no reason to spend more money than needed if you never intend of making that much, but again like 08mustanggt said make plans out for what you intend to do. Speaking of which this spring I will be purchasing pistons/rods and forging mine, leaving the stock crank and it will have no problem with whatever I through at it for a while.
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post
The stock crank can handle well within 600+ HP, It's all about RPM's. Now if you're building a wild beast and plan on putting down 800+ I would go forged crank. There is no reason to spend more money than needed if you never intend of making that much, but again like 08mustanggt said make plans out for what you intend to do. Speaking of which this spring I will be purchasing pistons/rods and forging mine, leaving the stock crank and it will have no problem with whatever I through at it for a while.
Hmmm, 600+ is pushing it a little. 600, maybe, 625 no chance, 550 you're okay. If you ever plan to go over 550 and/or spin it high, I would HIGHLY recommend just springing for a forged crank. Better than paying 2 large bills to redo it and its added safety for not a lot of money!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Damn going fast ant cheep lol
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm, 600+ is pushing it a little. 600, maybe, 625 no chance, 550 you're okay. If you ever plan to go over 550 and/or spin it high, I would HIGHLY recommend just springing for a forged crank. Better than paying 2 large bills to redo it and its added safety for not a lot of money!
The stock crank is more than okay for 650. There are many people over 750 with the stock crank
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 12-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The stock crank is more than okay for 650. There are many people over 750 with the stock crank
Haha
Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

How strong is our stock motor and how long can it last with forged internals and boosting before buying a new shortblock from someone like brenspeed livernoise etc?sorry dont mean thread jack
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha
Sorry for disagreeing with you sir knowsalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post
How strong is our stock motor and how long can it last with forged internals and boosting before buying a new shortblock from someone like brenspeed livernoise etc?sorry dont mean thread jack
Stock motor can't go over 550 rwhp.. Its can last as long as you want with the right internals. The block itself is not a bad block. The rods are the weak part of these motors and you can bend and break them at 400 to 550 rwhp too. Its just a ticking time bomb.... I'm at 500 and the mechanic opened my motor and said it was the cleanest motor he has ever seen and mine has been boosted for all of its life. 40k miles and still running strong.
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 12-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry for disagreeing with you sir knowsalot

Stock motor can't go over 550 rwhp.. Its can last as long as you want with the right internals. The block itself is not a bad block. The rods are the weak part of these motors and you can bend and break them at 400 to 550 rwhp too. Its just a ticking time bomb.... I'm at 500 and the mechanic opened my motor and said it was the cleanest motor he has ever seen and mine has been boosted for all of its life. 40k miles and still running strong.
Cause i don't want to put forged internal boost it if the stock block will still give up.so just to be sure if reuse my stock block with all forged internals and boost it ill still be ok without blowing it.its going to be a dd car rarely rarely would see track but I do get on it alot.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cause i don't want to put forged internal boost it if the stock block will still give up.so just to be sure if reuse my stock block with all forged internals and boost it ill still be ok without blowing it.its going to be a dd car rarely rarely would see track but I do get on it alot.
Yes it will be more than okay!
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes it will be more than okay!
Cool thanks bro
Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1, After building a few for friends and dynoing them with 750+ with stock crank and seeing pass after pass on the track I think I'll leave the stock crank in it.
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1, After building a few for friends and dynoing them with 750+ with stock crank and seeing pass after pass on the track I think I'll leave the stock crank in it.
Its more than okay lol a forged one is if you just wanna get stupid power.
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its more than okay lol a forged one is if you just wanna get stupid power.

Oh I completely agree lol. No need to replace it unless you absolutely are going to make 900+ and be dogging the heck out of it.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I completely agree lol. No need to replace it unless you absolutely are going to make 900+ and be dogging the heck out of it.
Good cause i don't dog her out all the time but I do atleast a couple times a day or every other day but I do fast though.i haven't even taken her past 100 haha.i just want to put her a lil over 500 but no more then 550
Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good cause i don't dog her out all the time but I do atleast a couple times a day or every other day but I do fast though.i haven't even taken her past 100 haha.i just want to put her a lil over 500 but no more then 550

yeah that's is my plan as well, first on the chopping block is redoing the internals, then clutch, etc. then FI. Unlike my friends I have to pay for everything I get nor want. Even though I have all the know how and tools I still don't get it all when I want it. I think the coolest part about it, is I get to either do most of the work for them or do it all completely (motor, turbo, supercharger, exhaust) etc. So that brings in some extra mulah lol.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha! A stock crank 750 go care is a GREAT idea! I'm sure all engine builders would agree! Everyones allowed their own thoughts and opinions! To each his own!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco09GT View Post
Nitrous does wonders haha!! I was running a 100, full bolt ons & cam. Stock bottom end & running strong. I've beaten a 08 Bullitt with a Whipple on 11lbs, full bolts & cam. A 2012 GT500 stock, & a 08 GT supercharged, full bolt ons (475rwhp).

Recently went to a 125 shot & beat a 2014 GT with a roush supercharger on 7lbs. Guy was pissed! Put his car on Craigslist the next day haha.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

I have videos on every race.
Yes but you my good man understand at the track its not just about RWHP the way your car is set-up plays a Major part in how fast you get down the track.
BIG HP #s on the dyno are great for bragging rights on these Forum's but don't mean squat at the track. A well set up car with less HP will beat a higher HP car (to an extent) every time at the track

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wish I knew how to build motors.when I get the cash for a forged internals and centri I'm going to ask if i can help with my motor but I doubt they'll let that happen.id like to see the process
Old 12-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wish I knew how to build motors.when I get the cash for a forged internals and centri I'm going to ask if i can help with my motor but I doubt they'll let that happen.id like to see the process
I can't say it's hard (to an extent), but I can say it takes time, patience, proper tools/machines etc. I highly doubt they will let you, mostly because of insurance purposes I assume.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't say it's hard (to an extent), but I can say it takes time, patience, proper tools/machines etc. I highly doubt they will let you, mostly because of insurance purposes I assume.
Yea that I figured especially patients.and yea that I know for sure they wouldn't let me cause of insurance policy.but I hurt myself anyways regardless not on purpose though.i just to stay away from sharp objects haha.either way i would like to learn how a built motor is built along with a blower
Old 12-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #35

This is simple. How much power do you want to make? Is this your daily driver or weekend warrior? Do you want that, OMG effect (looks, sound)?

If you feel 450 +/- whp is where you want to stand, then I don't see a forged engine being needed; but if your engine is old, why not.

But, the cost of most superchargers are about $3500-6k, used/new (KB's might be more). Their power depends on the amount of boost, nonetheless, and the most I've seen on a stock bottom end was 11psi (both on a Paxton and my Whipple when it was cold out). I made 455/439 -on addition mods beside fuel and GT500 axleback-. My buddies Paxton dynoed 49x/42x with his on a stock bottom end -headers, race mufflers-, but the tuner said NOPE! and reduced it 20-25hp for the safe factor. Again, most FI kits can see or exceed 500whp with ease, but our engines can't support it. So... It's nice to have this type setup if you ever intend to exceed those "stock" numbered limits. So big power I vote FI.

Whereas, nitrous is pretty damn inexpensive if you think about it. Figure $700-800 for a sweet setup. And yeah, a 100-shot dynos around 380-410 on most of the Mustangs I've seen. The HP is low enough to add onto a stock bottom end, but then you're done. If you want more umhp, add another 25 shot. But, I'm unsure of the cost of filling the bottle... maybe $45-60... or how long it might last... But again, the difference in price, I think the nitrous would be a great idea too.

Either power adder you choose, I doubt you'll need cams or head work unless you go over the limits of a stock block or about the 525+ mark. Talk to a Mustang tuner, they should help you choose your goals/needs.

I'm currently on a stock engine and so far so good... :/ Haven't got my newest turbo setup finalized (intake), but I'll get new dyno numbers shortly. I just enjoy the fact I could go to a pump, gas up and boost 10psi on the fly. I gives me that chicken-****-grin I always wanted. LOL

Good luck with your decision.
Ken
KKell83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion