Not a street racing thread.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not a street racing thread..

I'm just curious what it takes for a 4.6 3v to keep up with a bolt on coyote. Assuming both cars having comparable drivers and full weight, what mods are required? I took my 5.0 to the track and was only able to muster a 12.59 as my best of 5 runs. Then again I was running a set of 20s with 285 sumitomos on them, so my 60 sucked. There was a white 4.6 3v California special there that kept lining up against me and he was running almost identical times as me, with the exception of one 12.42 where he beat me. He had a set of 18s and meaty tires, but he was 60ft well either and ran similar trap speed. Hypothetically speaking of course, how much would this race change from a roll? I'm just curious because I honestly over looked his car because it didn't appear too quick, but I was wrong. I could never see under his hood and his tint was super dark so I couldn't see guages. I'm eager to get an idea of what he had going on though.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Gearing goes a long way on the strip. Gearing and a little N2O goes a very long ways. Could be that simple.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If the traps are similar, both cars were likely putting down similar power.

Modifying the gearing typically doesn't change the trap speed all that much. Typically changing gears may result in a gain of 2 - 4 mph 99% of the time but can result in a much lower ET.

From experience, I can tell you that a car that has a fast ET and a slow trap is usually a slower car on the street than a car with a slower ET but a faster trap.

I can't count how many times I ran roll races with people that were sometimes over 1.5 seconds faster in the 1320, yet seen my tail lights in a roll race.

Trap speed is the best indication of how much power a car has and how fast it really is in a roll race.

That said, if he has a 3v 4.6, at best he has the old 5spd. Where as the 5.0 has a transmission advantage with the 6spd MT82. I would say that once the 3v hits 4th gear or around 110 - 115 mph, the 5.0 should have the advantage, assuming both cars made equal power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Gearing goes a long way on the strip. Gearing and a little N2O goes a very long ways. Could be that simple.
Yeah, I know that to be true. I was curious if maybe he had a supercharger or something.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
If the traps are similar, both cars were likely putting down similar power.

Modifying the gearing typically doesn't change the trap speed all that much. Typically changing gears may result in a gain of 2 - 4 mph 99% of the time but can result in a much lower ET.

From experience, I can tell you that a car that has a fast ET and a slow trap is usually a slower car on the street than a car with a slower ET but a faster trap.

I can't count how many times I ran roll races with people that were sometimes over 1.5 seconds faster in the 1320, yet seen my tail lights in a roll race.

Trap speed is the best indication of how much power a car has and how fast it really is in a roll race.

That said, if he has a 3v 4.6, at best he has the old 5spd. Where as the 5.0 has a transmission advantage with the 6spd MT82. I would say that once the 3v hits 4th gear or around 110 - 115 mph, the 5.0 should have the advantage, assuming both cars made equal power.
Yeah I imagine it really is that simple. Our traps were pretty consistent in the 110-118mph range with mine being the 12.59@118mph. It seemed like I couldn't get away from him though lol.

There's a local event on this long road going to an abandoned steel refinery on a lake. They close this road down and people do roll races there, and it's perfectly legal as cops and ambulance are on stand by for the event. I roll raced a number of cars including 3v 4.6s from 20-40rolls and they never stood a chance there. So I never figured one of them would do so well at the track.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You should have asked him why his car is so f'n fast.

I'm kind of disappointed that this isn't a "undercover" street racing thread...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Willing to bet he had Nitrous or a S trim. You can hide the purge so you can't see that go off although you should have heard it at least if he had a kit. More likely it was the Vortech and he was putting down something like 400-450whp.

A lot of 2Vs will run similar times but with way lower trap speeds. The 04-below is light enough where you can squeeze a mid-low 12 out of it with it around 300whp. And a set of 4.10s or 4.30s lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Willing to bet he had Nitrous or a S trim. You can hide the purge so you can't see that go off although you should have heard it at least if he had a kit. More likely it was the Vortech and he was putting down something like 400-450whp.

A lot of 2Vs will run similar times but with way lower trap speeds. The 04-below is light enough where you can squeeze a mid-low 12 out of it with it around 300whp. And a set of 4.10s or 4.30s lol.
Well the thing about that is... I have long tubes, off road H, and roush axlebacks. I can't hear a damn thing, and nobody else can hear either lol. I know for one that the guys car was manual and California special. I just couldnt tell if it was supercharged or what lol. I figure it has to be because we were neck and neck each race.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You should have asked him why his car is so f'n fast.

I'm kind of disappointed that this isn't a "undercover" street racing thread...
I could never get over to where he was. It just so happen that we kept staging next to each other and before we knew it the announcer was calling it a "grudge race" lol. I beat him 4 out of 5 times but BARELY!

-
And just for the sake of saying so, I don't post street racing threads in this forum. Other forums tolerate street racing threads though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion