suggestions for lowering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
suggestions for lowering

okay guys in going to buying a few suspension mods tomorrow. I'm going with the H&R super sport springs. this will drop me 1.75" in the front and 1.6" in the rear. what else do I need to buy to get the best out of them?
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
okay guys in going to buying a few suspension mods tomorrow. I'm going with the H&R super sport springs. this will drop me 1.75" in the front and 1.6" in the rear. what else do I need to buy to get the best out of them?
Subscribed, interested too, 130k on my stock suspension
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Subscribed, interested too, 130k on my stock suspension
I got some front and rear isolators cuz they were recommended. I'm looking at getting some SR performance CC plates. no need to pay the extra money if they do the same thing.
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Adjustable panhard bar to center the rear, as it will shift when lowered.

CC plates are always good if you can afford it

I HIGHLY recommend you get new dampeners. That big of a drop is going to give you a HOOOORRIBLE ride on stock shocks/struts, and if the car has some mileage on it, they will probably blow out on you fairly quick. Get ready for a lot of headaches and an extremely bumpy ride if you stay with stock.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Adjustable panhard bar to center the rear, as it will shift when lowered. CC plates are always good if you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend you get new dampeners. That big of a drop is going to give you a HOOOORRIBLE ride on stock shocks/struts, and if the car has some mileage on it, they will probably blow out on you fairly quick. Get ready for a lot of headaches and an extremely bumpy ride if you stay with stock.
okay thanks! I honestly have no clue what dampeners are though. how much are they? car just turned 97k miles

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

the total now for H&R springs, SR CC plates and isolators is $477. sheesh
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
okay thanks! I honestly have no clue what dampeners are though. how much are they? car just turned 97k miles

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

the total now for H&R springs, SR CC plates and isolators is $477. sheesh
Dampeners are your shocks(rear) and struts(front). Also know as shock absorbers if that helps haha. The price ranges vastly depending on what you what (how stiff, adjustable, etc) Dont know if they make them for the 02s, but check out the koni str.ts. I have them on my 14 and love them. Great performance, great ride, and a decent price.

Lowering a car properly can get pricey, that's for sure. But trust me, you will hate the ride with those springs. And with 97k, i wouldn't expect the stockers to last very long. All together I've spent close to $1000 on my suspension, and i still need a few more parts (uca, and mount) to get it where i want it.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
I have H&R Super Sports and that's all.. Didn't buy CC's, panhard or anything else
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Dampeners are your shocks(rear) and struts(front). Also know as shock absorbers if that helps haha. The price ranges vastly depending on what you what (how stiff, adjustable, etc) Dont know if they make them for the 02s, but check out the koni str.ts. I have them on my 14 and love them. Great performance, great ride, and a decent price. Lowering a car properly can get pricey, that's for sure. But trust me, you will hate the ride with those springs. And with 97k, i wouldn't expect the stockers to last very long. All together I've spent close to $1000 on my suspension, and i still need a few more parts (uca, and mount) to get it where i want it.
okay, thanks a lot for all the helpful information!!

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
I have H&R Super Sports and that's all.. Didn't buy CC's, panhard or anything else
didn't mess with your tires wearing at all?
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Dampeners are your shocks(rear) and struts(front). Also know as shock absorbers if that helps haha. The price ranges vastly depending on what you what (how stiff, adjustable, etc) Dont know if they make them for the 02s, but check out the koni str.ts. I have them on my 14 and love them. Great performance, great ride, and a decent price.

Lowering a car properly can get pricey, that's for sure. But trust me, you will hate the ride with those springs. And with 97k, i wouldn't expect the stockers to last very long. All together I've spent close to $1000 on my suspension, and i still need a few more parts (uca, and mount) to get it where i want it.
Panhard bars are not needed on a SN95 since it's a 4-link instead of a 3-link like the S197. OP look at the Eibach Sportlines or H&R SS springs for that kind of drop. CC plates are more of a you get what you pay for situation. Your shocks and struts will wear prematurely when compared to stock ride height so keep that in mind. You can try to use camber bolts to get your alignment in spec, they don't always work though
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
okay, thanks a lot for all the helpful information!! ---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ---------- didn't mess with your tires wearing at all?
Not that I've noticed. I've been lowered for a couple months now and it still runs great
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post

Not that I've noticed. I've been lowered for a couple months now and it still runs great
You have fairly new tires though, so it may not show yet
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
I've bin lowered for a awhile now with no cc plates no problem with my tires and I'm dropped almost 2 in in the front but that's just my experience
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
I've bin lowered for a awhile now with no cc plates no problem with my tires and I'm dropped almost 2 in in the front but that's just my experience
I'm gonna go ahead and get SR CC plates and isolators while I'm doing it. just in case
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

Panhard bars are not needed on a SN95 since it's a 4-link instead of a 3-link like the S197. OP look at the Eibach Sportlines or H&R SS springs for that kind of drop. CC plates are more of a you get what you pay for situation. Your shocks and struts will wear prematurely when compared to stock ride height so keep that in mind. You can try to use camber bolts to get your alignment in spec, they don't always work though
Ah good to know. Wasnt aware they had a 4-link suspension setup. Thanks.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Ah good to know. Wasnt aware they had a 4-link suspension setup. Thanks.
Yeah no problem. It's not the greatest design unfortunately

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
I've bin lowered for a awhile now with no cc plates no problem with my tires and I'm dropped almost 2 in in the front but that's just my experience
It took me about 8 months to show any sort of camber wear and I'm lowered 2.5 inches in front. Didn't have any at 1.5 though
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
You have fairly new tires though, so it may not show yet
True
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
any of y'all know how much shop install would be for springs, CC plates and alignment?
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
any of y'all know how much shop install would be for springs, CC plates and alignment?
Probably $500-600 would be my guess. Install isn't that bad if you have half a day and basic hand tools
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Probably $500-600 would be my guess. Install isn't that bad if you have half a day and basic hand tools
damnnn that's a lot
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
damnnn that's a lot
I honestly have no clue what the labor rates are in your area but I would guess that much for everything. As I said, install is easy though
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
I honestly have no clue what the labor rates are in your area but I would guess that much for everything. As I said, install is easy though
I've just never messed with springs or anything.
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
I've just never messed with springs or anything.
As long as you pay attention to how they came out you'll be fine. If you want the peace of mind then you can rent a spring compressor
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jayday20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 304
There are some pretty good install videos online after watching the videos and printing some step by step instructions I was able to swap the springs without any prior experience. The rear is cake the front is a little more involved but definitely doable. I rented a spring compressor from advance auto to help me swap the springs in the front. You could definitely save a good chunk of money doing it your self.
Jayday20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday20 View Post
There are some pretty good install videos online after watching the videos and printing some step by step instructions I was able to swap the springs without any prior experience. The rear is cake the front is a little more involved but definitely doable. I rented a spring compressor from advance auto to help me swap the springs in the front. You could definitely save a good chunk of money doing it your self.
alright fellas I appreciate it. I'll make some calls to see what install will charge and I'll watch some videos too
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Install is isn't bad, and pretty straight forward. Just a little time consuming without air tools, as most of the bolts are pretty tough to break free. Especially on a car with some miles on it. As others have mentioned, rent a spring compressor from autozone, advanced, etc.

A friend to help is also a huge plus.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Install is isn't bad, and pretty straight forward. Just a little time consuming without air tools, as most of the bolts are pretty tough to break free. Especially on a car with some miles on it. As others have mentioned, rent a spring compressor from autozone, advanced, etc. A friend to help is also a huge plus.
awesome, thank you.
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:19 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.