Of course when you find your perfect Mustang... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Of course when you find your perfect Mustang...

Found a 2004 Mach 1 automatic Competition Orange with low miles for a ridiculously low price. Problem... salvage title of course... The 04 Mach Auto is THE car that I want with my flaky left knee sometimes being sore after I drive a stick. Only 4V auto offered till the 2011s.

I'm always of the mindset of NEVER even getting close to something that has a salvage title but this is what is up:

-Car was hit in the right front fender
-Pics of everything, receipts for minor frame damage straightened on a digital machine
-Lots of pics, car literally looks mint
-Stone stock except for some 18" SVE wheels. Routinely goes to car shows with it

My thought process on this is it is the perfect car to mod. Would not feel bad about modding a salvage title Mach this clean/low miles, this car is less money than a 04 GT with the same miles, worst case scenario its the perfect donor car to swap into something else.

Thoughts? Not sure there is a downside to this if the price comes down to what I could get for my 98 which I can see it doing after a month or two. Automatic+salvage title=VERY hard sell unless its someone like me specifically looking for an 04 Auto Mach to turn into a drag car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Salvage=insurance problems. I looked at a wrecked 07 GT (had been repaired, car had tree branch smash roof, glass, hood). Insurance company wanted a ridiculous amount to insure it. More than they wanted for a non wrecked GT.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sprint200 View Post
Salvage=insurance problems. I looked at a wrecked 07 GT (had been repaired, car had tree branch smash roof, glass, hood). Insurance company wanted a ridiculous amount to insure it. More than they wanted for a non wrecked GT.
Id have to call USAA to see wtf is up with them. Good call on that. Probably better keeping my 98 or just trying to find a 2004 comp orange gt auto. Like I said just wanted some opinions. Never dealt with a salvage title in my life.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Id have to call USAA to see wtf is up with them. Good call on that. Probably better keeping my 98 or just trying to find a 2004 comp orange gt auto. Like I said just wanted some opinions. Never dealt with a salvage title in my life.
My parents have USAA. I can get USAA because my dad served in the 82nd Airborne, but Geico gives me a better rate for better coverage. And so far, Geico's service has been fantastic. Had them over a year now, just keep renewing.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'd say stick with your 98. When I was in the market for a mustang I found a couple nice Mach 1's in great condition (until I found out about the salvage title). My dad wasn't comfortable with going for it. He had boughten a truck awhile back that was salvaged but a great deal and he really regretted it and his insurance (re-sale) was terrible.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

See, I don't care about resale. The price on it now is $8k and just listed. I'm sure it'll come down $1k or $2k because of the automatic/salvage and at that point the drivetrain and parts alone are worth $6k. I would not buy it for more than that. It does have under 60k miles and looks mint like I said.

But the insurance thing is one thing that does bother me and if I ever do try to sell it one day even for cheap it'll be a tough sell. I probably would use it as a donor before selling it if I were to buy it. Price would have to be right, it would have to still be on the market in the March timeframe when I could get $6k for my blue 98 and I'd have to make sure insurance would be ok and get like 50 detailed pics of the entire car before I even entertained picking it up.

edit: most likely will keep my 98 and am just being stupid. I have had a bunch of stangs/other cars, rebuilt motors, done driveline swaps etc... but somehow never dealt with a salvage car.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You sure it's salvage ? Or rebuilt ?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Says salvage in the thread. I do not want to bother the seller when I am months away at best from picking it up. Plus the less interest, the more the price drops. I posted a glws post in his thread just to subscribe but that's it.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.howstuffworks.com/under-t...vage-title.htm

Here ya go

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

You have the link to the add?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I have a link to the ad but I don't want to advertise it more since I'm hoping the car gets little/no interest and multiple price drops lol. I'm at work and can't access that forum from here anyway, stupid USAF not wanting me to surf around on work time... Lol, most of my day now is on hold with IT anyway, I'm currently at 24 minutes to get 5 or 6 trouble tickets put in. What happens when you get hurt, you fly a desk till you are fixed.

And thanks for that link, I'm having a little trouble getting ahold of USAA for the first time like... ever... but I'm sure they'll be able to quote me a ballpark price to insure a 2004 Mach with a salvage.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I have a link to the ad but I don't want to advertise it more since I'm hoping the car gets little/no interest and multiple price drops lol. I'm at work and can't access that forum from here anyway, stupid USAF not wanting me to surf around on work time... Lol, most of my day now is on hold with IT anyway, I'm currently at 24 minutes to get 5 or 6 trouble tickets put in. What happens when you get hurt, you fly a desk till you are fixed.

And thanks for that link, I'm having a little trouble getting ahold of USAA for the first time like... ever... but I'm sure they'll be able to quote me a ballpark price to insure a 2004 Mach with a salvage.
I say have the front end alignment checked if its good I say buy it and race the hell out of it
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said he says in the ad a professional shop did the fix with a digital frame straightener, not some yahoos attaching a chain to a tree and putting in in reverse lol.

Called USAA and insurance would go up a grand total of $1 per month lol. Liability is no different for a salvage/rebuilt. Comprehensive/Collision is where it gets cray cray.

If its still around in Feb/March I will msg the guy and see wtf is up. Who knows. The 04 Comp Orange Mach Auto is the car I've always wnated, there were like 200 something comp orange 04 autos ever made so...

Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said he says in the ad a professional shop did the fix with a digital frame straightener, not some yahoos attaching a chain to a tree and putting in in reverse lol.

Called USAA and insurance would go up a grand total of $1 per month lol. Liability is no different for a salvage/rebuilt. Comprehensive/Collision is where it gets cray cray.

If its still around in Feb/March I will msg the guy and see wtf is up. Who knows. The 04 Comp Orange Mach Auto is the car I've always wnated, there were like 200 something comp orange 04 autos ever made so...
Why don't you see if he would take a deposit and hold it for you?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sprint200 View Post
Why don't you see if he would take a deposit and hold it for you?
Because I wouldn't do it for someone and would not ask someone to do it for me. Sorry, first one with money gets it and I don't want to string the guy along in case I have some sort of emergency where the funds go elsewhere. I also want to wait out the price. I've seen vehicles like this drop $thousands in a few months of waiting. If it sells... well... I have my really nice 98 sitting safely in the garage out of the winter weather/salt waiting for spring.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well the Comp Orange is probably pretty rare. You'd have to keep it forever though. Id maybe consider it at 4 grand but would still have those two awful words in the back of my mind... Salvage Title.
And, in reality, how often are you going to drag race it? Gonna hit the streets Scotty?
I don't think that you'll be happy with any New Edge short of a Terminator. Something that you can baby most of the time and beat the hell out of on rare occasions.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I honestly don't know why I post stuff like this, ppl are right with it being a salvage title. I will keep an eye on it and see how low it goes. If the guy just wants out at $5k it might be worth it.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I honestly don't know why I post stuff like this, ppl are right with it being a salvage title. I will keep an eye on it and see how low it goes. If the guy just wants out at $5k it might be worth it.
If he wants out, and goes down to 5k, I'd take it anyday. But seriously Scotty I know your from NJ, if he goes down to 5k and your still feeling iffy on it, let me know I may be interested.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well he's from Texas lol, I'd have to fly out and drive back. Eh...

Pics of it

I get a semi every time I look at it...

I also get a semi when I stare at my 98...

I like em both but I'd have to sell the 98 to get another Mustang. Not sure if I'd get a nicer one than my 98. And this does have a salvage title no matter how nice it is.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Damn, that car looks good! I can see where you'd be tempted.
It probably drives as good as any of our cars... But the title.

So what do you think the going rate for that car would be with a clean title?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

That Mach with a clean title is a $15k car at least. It has under 60k miles. Dude is starting at $8900, already came down to $8500. I can see $6k taking it honestly but someone might jump on it. Yes you can see why I'm tempted. The color I want, the year I want, the interior I want and the best auto to come in a Mustang up until 2011.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Do it!!! I'd consider trading my Bullitt for it lol it would be a street monster!! Do it
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
They only made 120 of those, I'd buy it regardless of the salvage title...great price at 8500. If take it.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

*i'd
98GTCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I say dont do it when ever you want to sell it its going to be hard no matter how much money u put in it its still going to say salvage title
86foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86foxbody View Post
I say dont do it when ever you want to sell it its going to be hard no matter how much money u put in it its still going to say salvage title
A rare mach like that, is one I'd never get rid of.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post

A rare mach like that, is one I'd never get rid of.
Well yea thats your opinion if u plan to keep it go ahead and get it but me i always look at the future might have a day that u would want to sell it to but a better one and its going to be hard to sell
86foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

As I already said, at that price you drive it, enjoy it and if it doesn't sell you've got the perfect donor car.

Like I said I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what up.

I think it is going to be a hard sell not so much because its a salvage (at that price) but because its an auto.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sounds like a bad *** car, none the less. Hell, if you could get it for 6 grand, that's a steal. So what if ya can't sell it again, most you're out is 6 grand. Like you said, perfect donor car. It isn't often the perfect car comes around. Hopefully all works out, and you can get it for the right price.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

I would have to get it for the $5k-$6k range. Ones with clean titles and totally mint with 20-30k miles are selling for $14k or less. I know slow got his white one for like $10k... The biggest issue with the Machs is that someone looking for a nice car in the $15k+ range is going to be looking for a Termi or a 3V.

KBB says this car with a clean title is worth $14k. Edmunds (which is not stupid) says true market value is $8k. So yeah with a salvage title this thing would definitely have to be in the $5k-$6k range and only because that's what its worth as a donor car IMO. If the guy was closer I'd seriously go in right now at $4k and see what he does but flying to Texas for a $5k car...

Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
You're starting to sell me on the idea.
Get a ride on a GlobeMaster and go check it out Scotty...
Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Dude I was in Texas probably once every 2 months when I was flying. This car is like 3 or 4 hours from Austin/San Antonio though which is where we would usually land. I had a GREAT time in Austin when I was there. Obamaphone was visiting Perry for some odd reason or other. For a red state there sure as hell were a bunch of ppl lining the roads to see AF1 take off.

I fly a desk now though. My liver thanks me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion