What exhaust system? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
What exhaust system?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and to the Mustang world. I just bought a V6 2012 and I would like to change the exhaust system.
I tried to read through the forum and as many article as I could but there is just so much information, I'm lost.

I want to improve the sound of the V6 and improve performance (mostly the torque).
I dont want to void my Ford warranty either. I think I need:

- Borla: S type or touring
- H pipes

Is that enough? Am I missing something?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Jeffy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
welcome, maybe someone will pitch in who knows
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
welcome, maybe someone will pitch in who knows
Thank you
Please dont make fun of me. I'm really new to all this.
Dont you have any ideas if I am on the right path?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Hold off on the pipes. Change the rear end gear and enjoy the increase in torque multiplication. You won't regret it.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You've got to talk to a dealer about what mods will or won't kill your warranty (if something breaks etc).

As for the standard exhaust mods you're looking at an axle back exhaust for sound only.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy14 View Post
Thank you
Please dont make fun of me. I'm really new to all this.
Dont you have any ideas if I am on the right path?

Thanks
do what you want lol that's the beauty of it. post up some more pics when you get bored
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post
You've got to talk to a dealer about what mods will or won't kill your warranty (if something breaks etc).

As for the standard exhaust mods you're looking at an axle back exhaust for sound only.
OK thanks.

What do you mean by axle back exhaust? Like the Borla that I mentioned?
To me axle back exhaust is a little like chinese.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Hold off on the pipes. Change the rear end gear and enjoy the increase in torque multiplication. You won't regret it.
I asked for this already. Now about the pipes? why should I hold off please?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK thanks.

What do you mean by axle back exhaust? Like the Borla that I mentioned?
To me axle back exhaust is a little like chinese.[COLOR="Silver"]
You've mainly got two types of exhaust for our mustangs, axle-back, and cat-back. The axle back exhausts go on after your mid-pipe right where the stock mufflers are connected. They are purely for sound and don't do anything for performance (not withstanding your newly found lead-foot). Cat-back exhausts replace your mid-pipe so they're a bit more expensive.

Borla makes both Cat-back and Axle-back exhausts. I'm not completely familiar with cat-back systems so I can't tell you if its going to make a huge difference in performance.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
You've got to talk to a dealer about what mods will or won't kill your warranty (if something breaks etc). As for the standard exhaust mods you're looking at an axle back exhaust for sound only.
Gears require a tune and the tune is what has been known to void warranties. He specifically asked for things that would not do that.
Jeffry, axleback exhaust is simply new exhaust that bolts to the existing pipe at the axle. Yes, the borla you mentioned is axleback. I personally went with a tuneless CAI and axleback first as my mods for the same reason you mentioned, I don't want to void my warranty. You can also do appearance mods such as louvres, vinyl decals, etc. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Oops. Didn't mean to tag you fender. Sorry.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllTRADEMARKlll View Post
Gears require a tune and the tune is what has been known to void warranties. He specifically asked for things that would not do that.
Jeffry, axleback exhaust is simply new exhaust that bolts to the existing pipe at the axle. Yes, the borla you mentioned is axleback. I personally went with a tuneless CAI and axleback first as my mods for the same reason you mentioned, I don't want to void my warranty. You can also do appearance mods such as louvres, vinyl decals, etc. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Oops. Didn't mean to tag you fender. Sorry.
Thanks for your answer.
So what about the X pipes or H pipes? It is different from the cat back?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It depends on how much noise you can stand

If you want good performance and a not so obnoxious noise that will drive you nuts you need :
Ford Racing "Touring"
Borla "Touring"
Magnaflow "streets"
I personally have the Magnaflow street axlebacks on my 2012-V6 and love the nice deep rumble as well as the nice rolled tips. They are completely stainless steel and look and sound perfect to me.

If you are looking for noise and pipes that sound off, Just get anything else.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllTRADEMARKlll View Post

[/COLOR]Oops. Didn't mean to tag you fender. Sorry.
Haha its cool!

Quote:
Thanks for your answer.
So what about the X pipes or H pipes? It is different from the cat back?

We already have a hybrid setup stock (kinda like an H and an X to an extent) but if you wanted to change that you'd go with one or the other (this is kinda foreign to me so I don't want to give you bad info). The X/H pipe comes before the mid-pipe and muffler.

Engine - Header - Catalytic converter - X or H pipe - Mid pipe - muffler

Once again not going to speak for your dealer but messing with an X or an H pipe will probably void your warranty.

Not sure it's worth it either but thats just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you want good performance and a not so obnoxious noise that will drive you nuts you need :
Ford Racing "Touring"
Borla "Touring"
Magnaflow "streets"
I personally have the Magnaflow street axlebacks on my 2012-V6 and love the nice deep rumble as well as the nice rolled tips. They are completely stainless steel and look and sound perfect to me.

Ronnie
OK thanks. You clearly can tell the difference with the stock one? I have read that some people found them too quiet.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No way as quite as my stock mufflers were.

When I bought this Mustang I swore I would not mod anything on it. It was soooo silent on my way home from the dealer I could not stand it.
I got on line that night and ordered my Magnaflow Streets and they were delivered two days later and installed the same day I received them. I loved the sound as soon as I started my car with them installed.
Now, With 7,700 miles on them they sound even better then when installed. I had seen the Borla's and Ford Racing as well as Magnaflows at the speed shop before I bought my Mustang and liked the quality of the Magnaflow better then the others. I had Magnaflows on my Corvette so I trusted I would like the sound on my Mustang. If I didn't I could alway sell them and get something else. ( It sure wold not be the first time I bought the wrong thing) I ended up loving everything about these Streets.
I sometimes get up at 4 or 5 in the morning just to take a drive and listen to the nice hummm of my Magnaflows and the 50's music on my radio.
Life is great that time of the morning before the traffic nightmare starts.

Of couse if a person wants loud mufflers to annoy everyone around them and piss off the cop's these will not work at all for them.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

I have a set of pypes axle backs and it's VERY clear it isn't the stock exhaust anymore. Try YouTube for the various exhausts that you want to hear.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
I have a set of pypes axle backs and it's VERY clear it isn't the stock exhaust anymore. Try YouTube for the various exhausts that you want to hear.
Not to derail at all but have you added a CAI yet?

I just threw on an Airaid and its intense!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
OK, you mentioned Torque, see if you can put short tube headers on, there is a nice increase in Low to Mid range torque.
My Dealer told me as long as it is a no tune mod and do not change any Emissions the are good with it.
I have BBK Short tube headers, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe and Borla Touring A/B Mufflers along with an Airaid CAI, nothing requires a tune but it sure wakes up with one
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
As far as gears go you can get 3:31 gears and have the dealer install them which won't void the warranty usually...

Now I have the ATAKs which are loud lol but I wanted loud in fact I'm thinking later on to go with lt headers and an x pipe

Sorry for getting carried away but ya talk to your dealer before anything lol

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
A Thousand Different Answers....

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and to the Mustang world. I just bought a V6 2012 and I would like to change the exhaust system.
I tried to read through the forum and as many article as I could but there is just so much information, I'm lost.

I want to improve the sound of the V6 and improve performance (mostly the torque).
I dont want to void my Ford warranty either. I think I need:

- Borla: S type or touring
- H pipes

Is that enough? Am I missing something?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
You will get tons of answers on this. Don't even ask about Shorty or Long Tube Headers.

This is the address for an several articles in American Muscle. After 50 posts you will get a code for 6% off your purchases. With FREE shipping, this can add up a lot. Along with price matching.

2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Mustang Exhaust | AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

There are several different categories, so read them all and you will have a lot more information available. If you still have questions, jump back on the forum then.

P.S. The V8s owners are a bunch of WHINERS on here. They think they own the Mustang World. Don't tell anyone about this, between us V6 owners.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Go straight pipes to some 4" tips. That's what I did and I love it.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When I bought this Mustang I swore I would not mod anything on it. It was soooo silent on my way home from the dealer I could not stand it.
I got on line that night and ordered my Magnaflow Streets and they were delivered two days later and installed the same day I received them. I loved the sound as soon as I started my car with them installed.
Now, With 7,700 miles on them they sound even better then when installed. I had seen the Borla's and Ford Racing as well as Magnaflows at the speed shop before I bought my Mustang and liked the quality of the Magnaflow better then the others. I had Magnaflows on my Corvette so I trusted I would like the sound on my Mustang. If I didn't I could alway sell them and get something else. ( It sure wold not be the first time I bought the wrong thing) I ended up loving everything about these Streets.
I sometimes get up at 4 or 5 in the morning just to take a drive and listen to the nice hummm of my Magnaflows and the 50's music on my radio.
Life is great that time of the morning before the traffic nightmare starts.

Of couse if a person wants loud mufflers to annoy everyone around them and piss off the cop's these will not work at all for them.

Ronnie
ahah ok. That's a great story! =)
I'll check out the magnaflow
Old 12-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
You will get tons of answers on this. Don't even ask about Shorty or Long Tube Headers. This is the address for an several articles in American Muscle. After 50 posts you will get a code for 6% off your purchases. With FREE shipping, this can add up a lot. Along with price matching. 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Mustang Exhaust
Good to know... I was unaware of this little perk!
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hit up a reputable local exhaust shop and tell them what you want it to sound like. Be specific, they can do it

Also ask your ford dealer what theyll be cool with. You'll enjoy a catback much more!!
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Not to derail at all but have you added a CAI yet?

I just threw on an Airaid and its intense!

I have not, I might in the future, but I'm thinking forced induction later down the road.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You have recieved some excellent responses; I'll toss out another to you. Head out to some weekend get togethers and listen first hand to some exhaust notes from the Mustangs that are there. Keep in mind that the V6 is going to sound different from the V8's. Many have tried, but your not going to get the same sound of a V8 from your V6, so don't use those comparisons when making a choice.

I jumped the gun and bought a set of "popular" axle backs. They were loud. I removed them the same day, sold them at a loss. I then went to a few weekend local car get togethers, and heard the different exhausts from the V6's that were there. Ask them to start the car; everyone likes to show off!

Then make a decision that you are pleased with; you are making the payments, be sure you are happy with the sound.

As to axlebacks, a dealer will not void your entire warranty over an installed set of axleback mufflers. The exhaust may be warranty denied for claims, but no one yet on any forum I've been on has reported a warranty issue on their exhaust alone.

In order of popularity to modding a Mustang here has been the exhaust first, then maybe a CAI (although the majority of CAI's that are sold flow NO BETTER than the stock intake setup), they simply look nice under the hood and give you a roar sound when you stomp the right "drive by wire" pedal (used to be called a gas pedal). Your stock intake tube can be modified to remove it's "muffler" , and will then sound like a CAI.

There are CAI's that offer HP/TQ gains, but the ones that claim high HP/TQ gains are sold as kits with a tuner. The tuner is where you will see the good bang for the buck. Then there's turbos and blowers; the big dollar stuff. Tuners, turbos, and blowers are all engine train warranty busters for sure, so most lay off of this until their warranty expires.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #26

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
OK, you mentioned Torque, see if you can put short tube headers on, there is a nice increase in Low to Mid range torque.
My Dealer told me as long as it is a no tune mod and do not change any Emissions the are good with it.
I have BBK Short tube headers, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe and Borla Touring A/B Mufflers along with an Airaid CAI, nothing requires a tune but it sure wakes up with one
Do you have a video of your set up? That's exactly what I'm looking to get.
ConradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradW View Post

I thought you would need to do a tune with headers
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
Go straight pipes to some 4" tips. That's what I did and I love it.

+1
Did the same and sounds great !
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradW View Post
Here is mine
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Talking Just pulled the trigger on some Borla Stinger!

Was debating between the borla touring and the s-types. Found the stingers at autoanything.com for $577 and called American Muscle and they matched the price and shipped out about an hour after I ordered them. Went with the free shipping so I should see them by 12/31/13

Man, I can't friggin wait to bolt them on. They should sound great with my Airaid CAI, whoo-hoo!
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Was debating between the borla touring and the s-types. Found the stingers at autoanything.com for $577 and called American Muscle and they matched the price and shipped out about an hour after I ordered them. Went with the free shipping so I should see them by 12/31/13

Man, I can't friggin wait to bolt them on. They should sound great with my Airaid CAI, whoo-hoo!
Great!
Silly question but the stinger is the S-type or it is different?
Old 12-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Great!
Silly question but the stinger is the S-type or it is different?
Officially they are the "S-Type", but a lot of people have nick named them "Stinger". Probably because of the more aggressive sound compared to the Touring model, and Stinger just sounds kinda cool. Works for me
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 12-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

Aww damn I got mine price matched at autoplicity and after shipping matched it cost $598. Did you also get 6% off as well on top of price matching because they said I couldn't.
But anyways should be getting the stingers Tuesday a nice little Christmas Eve present for myself!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Installed my Borla Stingers yesterday!
Took an hour for the drivers side (learning process) and 30 minutes for the passenger side. Started the car and knew right away I made the right decision. What a great sound, nice rumble at idle and just perfect when I get on it. Just love the sound combined with my Airaid CAI. Love it when a plan comes together
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! I installed both the Stingers and Airaid CAI last week and loved every bit of it as well. Just have to resist the urge to go WOT all the time.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust