Automatic vs. manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
PISTONS8904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk
Region: Virginia
Posts: 63
Automatic vs. manual

With the select shift is there really a big difference?
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
badblue11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Absolutely. If you've ever driven a manual u would know the difference. The automatic can be shifted but only one gear up or down at a time. I can choose whatever gear I want It to go into right then and there. Not to mention the automatics rear end ratio is 3.31 while the manual is 3.55 without track pack and 3.73 with the track pack. The manual transmission is the only way to go of your driving a GT
badblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
Absolutely. If you've ever driven a manual u would know the difference. The automatic can be shifted but only one gear up or down at a time. I can choose whatever gear I want It to go into right then and there. Not to mention the automatics rear end ratio is 3.31 while the manual is 3.55 without track pack and 3.73 with the track pack. The manual transmission is the only way to go of your driving a GT
The auto is 3:15 I believe. The manual is 3:31 or 3:73 with track pack. Optional 3:55.

As for the question, yes, there is a huge difference, they aren't really comparable at all.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
PISTONS8904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk
Region: Virginia
Posts: 63
So what about better shifts at the drag?
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
badblue11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
The manual

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Just because of the rear end difference there's like 3 tenths of a second difference 0-60 time between the two
badblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
TorchRed6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS8904 View Post
So what about better shifts at the drag?
auto will be much more consistent. get a good tune and youll blast throught the gears just like you would if you had a manual.except theres no room for driver error. just stomp the gas and hold on. autos better for the strip. not as fun though. factory gearing isnt important. you can change those out easy.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: oak hill
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
auto will be much more consistent. get a good tune and youll blast throught the gears just like you would if you had a manual.except theres no room for driver error. just stomp the gas and hold on. autos better for the strip. not as fun though. factory gearing isnt important. you can change those out easy.
Must have an auto huh?lol I have never had an auto in a muscle car. Its just not the same. That's me though. My dad has always had vettes and likes the auto.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
badblue11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
For me, unless you have a double clutch transmission like a gtr or lambo, always drive a manual
badblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
For me, unless you have a double clutch transmission like a gtr or lambo, always drive a manual
How is this an explaination for the manual transmission use?
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
How is this an explaination for the manual transmission use?
Unless your car has a potato, drive manual.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
badblue11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Just a personal preference. Manuals the only way to go
badblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
TorchRed6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
Must have an auto huh?lol I have never had an auto in a muscle car. Its just not the same. That's me though. My dad has always had vettes and likes the auto.
i do yes, but not by choice. i wanted a 5 speed but i couldnt find any within a comfortable price range at the time.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
Not to mention the automatics rear end ratio is 3.31
Autos come with 3.15's there chief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
The manual

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Just because of the rear end difference there's like 3 tenths of a second difference 0-60 time between the two
That's a bull crap statement and you know it. Don't make up stuff that's just not true.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Autos nowadays will always win in a straight line because they are easier to launch and they shift perfect every time. But I autocross so I need to make sure my car stays in the gear I need it, and I'll be spinning around 4-5k+ rpm most of the time so I need to be the one to pick the gear. So manual for me in that case.

They each have purposes, neither is "better"
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
Since I was on drag slicks last week in the snow, I never would have pulled it off in an auto car. Being able to slip the clutch, not have a torque converter decide what power I need, plus being able to start in any gear I like, helped a lot in that circumstance.

However, if, in 2012, the auto was worth a damn in stock form, (i.e. firm shifts, select shift with quick response, available BBP), I would have considered it.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
The '15 auto will have paddle shifters apparently.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Personal preference for your street car. If you do a lot of circle track/cone/road racing get a stick. The auto will skull **** you at the 1/4 track though.

edit: No I am not talking about a stock AOD or some crap I'm talking a about a fresh up to date automatic with a jmod/shift kit and a nice aftermarket stall converter. Will drop your balls into your feet at the tree and power does not let up till you let off the gas.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No I am not talking about a stock AOD or some crap I'm talking a about a fresh up to date automatic with a jmod/shift kit and a nice aftermarket stall converter
Huh?

You seemed to be confused what we're talking about here. There's no jmod or shift kit for the 6R80 in the 2011+ cars and no need for that crap.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 103
Manuals are faster in the 1/4 stock for stock. I have a manual with stock 3:31 gear and beat a stock auto at the drag strip this year.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
PISTONS8904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk
Region: Virginia
Posts: 63
Stock if it's left in drive but use the select shift and it will be neck and neck.
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
Manuals are faster in the 1/4 stock for stock. I have a manual with stock 3:31 gear and beat a stock auto at the drag strip this year.
And yet another one with a B.S statement. What is your best time stock?
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
And yet another one with a B.S statement. What is your best time stock?
Looks like the auto is a little slower hmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2358327460.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	142065  
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tpost08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Looks like the auto is a little slower hmmm

They've had cars with less than 20 miles on them straight off the lot not mods run 12.5. Manual MIGHT be quicker from the factory.... Might. But put the same tune on both auto and manual and the auto takes over easily. Auto off the lot has bad shift points and delayed throttle response.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

Easily seen that the fastest 2011+ 1/4mile is an auto. Along with the second and third fast times in the 1/4. Autos have been greatly improved since back in the day.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post

They've had cars with less than 20 miles on them straight off the lot not mods run 12.5. Manual MIGHT be quicker from the factory.... Might. But put the same tune on both auto and manual and the auto takes over easily. Auto off the lot has bad shift points and delayed throttle response.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

Easily seen that the fastest 2011+ 1/4mile is an auto. Along with the second and third fast times in the 1/4. Autos have been greatly improved since back in the day.
Hey don't get me wrong the auto has come a long way and like what was stated a few mods the auto is quicker and is always consistent but they were talking stock for stock
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Huh?

You seemed to be confused what we're talking about here. There's no jmod or shift kit for the 6R80 in the 2011+ cars and no need for that crap.
I probably should have clarified.

I'm talking about the 4R trannies/AODs for the jmod/shift kit. I know the 6R just needs a tune and runs a mid 12 all day. Some old guy up at Englishtown had a bone *** stock Coyote automatic except for a handheld tuner running consistent 12.4-12.6s. Not going to do that in a stick, at least not all day like this guy was with little/no track experience.

Throw a good aftermarekt triple disc stall converter in a Coyote and its a joke lining up against the same car with a stick shift.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tpost08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Hey don't get me wrong the auto has come a long way and like what was stated a few mods the auto is quicker and is always consistent but they were talking stock for stock

Stock for stock. Auto wins 3 out of 5 times with a good manual driver. Put somebody that doesn't have track time. Then auto wins ever run unless it's in reverse.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Stock for stock. Auto wins 3 out of 5 times with a good manual driver. Put somebody that doesn't have track time. Then auto wins ever run unless it's in reverse.
This is truth. Dude that has never been to the track is going to run much slower in the stick then a guy who can just floor it and hang on with the auto. Call that lazy or cheap or whatever derogatory thing you want lol. The auto still crosses the line first. FACT=the manual is a liability/handicap at the 1/4 mile.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kylemittelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
auto will be much more consistent. get a good tune and youll blast throught the gears just like you would if you had a manual.except theres no room for driver error. just stomp the gas and hold on. autos better for the strip. not as fun though. factory gearing isnt important. you can change those out easy.
Stock manual is gonna beat stock automatic every time. There's a reason all the best track and strip cars are manual. You can control your rpms making for faster acceleration. If it's a good driver

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This is truth. Dude that has never been to the track is going to run much slower in the stick then a guy who can just floor it and hang on with the auto. Call that lazy or cheap or whatever derogatory thing you want lol. The auto still crosses the line first. FACT=the manual is a liability/handicap at the 1/4 mile.

Only if it's an inexperienced driver. At which point they shouldn't be racing anyway.
Kylemittelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemittelman View Post
Stock manual is gonna beat stock automatic every time. There's a reason all the best track and strip cars are manual. You can control your rpms making for faster acceleration. If it's a good driver

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------




Only if it's an inexperienced driver. At which point they shouldn't be racing anyway.
Ok you've obviously never been to a track if you think all the fastest cars are sticks.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
And yet another one with a B.S statement. What is your best time stock?
12.8 112 mph stock

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
And yet another one with a B.S statement. What is your best time stock?
I ran this year. I ran a 12.8 at 112mph. More then bs
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
PISTONS8904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk
Region: Virginia
Posts: 63
How do you view someone's pictures on this app? It has changed or been updated.
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
12.8 112 mph stock

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------



I ran this year. I ran a 12.8 at 112mph. More then bs
No, that's about what they run on average. High 12s, low 13s with an average driver. With an average driver the autos do high-mid 12s and I have seen this with my own eyes.

Like I said earlier I am not here to tell a person which transmission is better for their cars, its just lol worthy when you get people who have obviously never been in a fast auto or even been to the track saying how much faster a stick is in a drag race. Maybe between a stock 1994GT auto/stick but not anymore, not for awhile really.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
PISTONS8904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk
Region: Virginia
Posts: 63
What's better in auto mode running it in straight drive or sport mode using the select shift?
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Get yourself a good 93 octane tune with the shift points firmed up, leave it in drive and call it good.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bear376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Stillwater
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 351
A driver can have a lot of fun with a stick. However, in almost every category, the automatic is the better choice. I love manuals, and my learning how to shift was in a 289 HiPo 65' Mustang. My wife's car has a manual, with 210,000 miles on the original clutch. The only place where a manual has an advantage is on road courses, and an automatic can be setup to be competitive even then.

It is only going to be even more slanted to the automatics in a few years when all manufacturers go to 9-10 gears and more options appear for driver controlled shifting. In any case, the better the driver, the better the results. Anyone who likes shifting, should buy a manual and not worry about how it compares with an automatic. If a car is a going to spend a lot of time doing routine town driving, a manual is going to get old fast.
__________________
2013 MCA Edition-Sterling Grey
Roush body kit - Splitters/hood scoop
Whiteline suspension w/Koni shocks
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« more torque. | Cams »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:02 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.