Any difference between 3.7 and 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Any difference between 3.7 and 5.0?

Searched but could not find anything on this.......

Is there any difference between the 5.0 and 3.7 stock axlebacks? Little brother purchased a 13' 3.7. I have a 14' 5.0 and swapped to GT500 quad axlebacks. Would he gain anything by putting my old stock GT Axlebacks onto his 3.7? From what I remember they seem to be the same or similar. Anyone out there have any experience with this?
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The pipe diameter is different between the 3.7 and 5.0, so no axleback exhaust from a 5.0 is going to bolt up to a 3.7, UNLESS you cut the pipe part from the donor 3.7 axleback (rearward muffler side), do the same on the 5.0 muffler, then weld the 3.7 onto the 5.0 axleback.

Is it worth it for performance? No! Is it worth it for sound? Maybe. I purchased a set of GT500 axleback mufflers and did the exchange to my 3.7. The sound is nice, not loud. Did I get any performance gains? Not that I'd feel in the seat of my pants. As to a GT axleback on a 3.7? May not be worth the fee a muffler shop charges you to do the cut and welding.

Axleback mufflers of ANY type will not net you any HP gains. They are for sound change only. A set of shorties, longtube headers, and mid-pipes are what would be needed to gain HP in the erea of exhaust, but will also require a change in the intake, and of course a tuner/tune.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The pipe diameter is different between the 3.7 and 5.0, so no axleback exhaust from a 5.0 is going to bolt up to a 3.7, UNLESS you cut the pipe part from the donor 3.7 axleback (rearward muffler side), do the same on the 5.0 muffler, then weld the 3.7 onto the 5.0 axleback.

Is it worth it for performance? No! Is it worth it for sound? Maybe. I purchased a set of GT500 axleback mufflers and did the exchange to my 3.7. The sound is nice, not loud. Did I get any performance gains? Not that I'd feel in the seat of my pants. As to a GT axleback on a 3.7? May not be worth the fee a muffler shop charges you to do the cut and welding.

Axleback mufflers of ANY type will not net you any HP gains. They are for sound change only. A set of shorties, longtube headers, and mid-pipes are what would be needed to gain HP in the erea of exhaust, but will also require a change in the intake, and of course a tuner/tune.

A catback with wider pipes will net some real small gains.

My exhaust guy had to do the same to mine lol
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion