Installing new grill help - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I've had the CDC Peformance Grille on my 2013 since August 2012 (was one of the first to get one). I drive a lot, have taken the car from Michigan to Maryland, put 30,000 miles on it with that grille. No problems at all.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've had the CDC Peformance Grille on my 2013 since August 2012 (was one of the first to get one). I drive a lot, have taken the car from Michigan to Maryland, put 30,000 miles on it with that grille. No problems at all.
Good to hear. But you have to admit, while it hasn't happened to you, all it would take is for one piece of gravel to launch off of a dump truck. Such a beautiful grille anyways. It was my first choice but decided on the Boss because I like the fog light deletes and the fact that it's OEM so I won't have to worry about figment/quality.
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #38

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Done and done!

So, it took about two hours. I took the bumper cover removal route. You firstly need to remove the radiator cover. Then the air deflector underneath the engine bay. Then you can unscrew the bumper. In all, there were eight screws on the top, bottom, and wheel wells. Tons of screws. Did hit a hiccup because once you unscrew everything, there are plastic tabs which secure the sides of the bumper just forward of the wheels. There are three tabs on each side and the only way to remove the bumper is to yank it. On the driver's side, one of the tabs snapped, probably due to how cold it is here. It really doesn't make that much of a difference as it's still held on by screws and the two remaining tabs. Once I got the bumper off, I realized that there was no way of taking the upper grille out without breaking the chrome tabs. Once broken, I realized two things; that I could never go back and put the stock grille on and that my new Boss grille HAD BETTER fit. Thankfully it did. Putting the grilles in was MUCH easier than taking them out. They simply snapped into place. I lightly hit it with my hand to make sure the clips were secured. So, all in all, on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being extremely easy), I give this install a 3.5.
So (newb here) is it possible to purchase the "upper mustang 2013 Gt Grille" and it'll fit right into a 2013 v6 grill (after removing the v6 grille) ??
RaceRedRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
No you won't be able to. Your going to need a gt grille surround. I've been looking for one myself and they are a little pricey.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRedRyan View Post
So (newb here) is it possible to purchase the "upper mustang 2013 Gt Grille" and it'll fit right into a 2013 v6 grill (after removing the v6 grille) ??
No, as the tabs which hold the grille inside of the surround are in different places.

You'll need the GT grille surround as well.

Mustang GT Grille Surround - Fits All (2013-2014) - Starkey Products
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Do you have the Chrome V6 Surround already?

If so this place has what you need to do it OEM
Fog Light Grilles & Misc 13-14: Starkey Products - Quality Products. Precision Built.

That is what you see in my avatar pic on the left.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #42

Yea I do have the Chrome v6 surround. And the lower fog lights I'll take a picture of it laterz

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Don't AM guys sells a direct replacement GT style grill for our V6? I might be wrong too.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yes I believe they have a setup from raxiom

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Don't AM guys sells a direct replacement GT style grill for our V6? I might be wrong too.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
It's a direct replacement because they just put the GT surround on it and sell them as one grille, if you know what I mean.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #46

So where would yall say the least expensive gt surround is?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So where would yall say the least expensive gt surround is?

Best I found was Starkey's. You might be able to find something on Amazon/eBay though.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
ok guys sorry if this is repetitive but I want to make sure... I ordered the modern billet black grille with mustang cutout:
Modern Billet Black Mustang Billet Grille 41299 (13-14 V6) - Free Shipping

from the pics on AM it looked as though this one would simply fit over the factory one, but after reading numerous thread it seem like this isn't the case??? can anyone tell me what i'll be expecting when my grilles arrive? will I be needing to remove the bumper cover?

also, i'm assuming the chrome surround will be staying if its just fits over, but if I have to take the bumper off is there a way to remove it and use this grille?

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BKV6 View Post
ok guys sorry if this is repetitive but I want to make sure... I ordered the modern billet black grille with mustang cutout:
Modern Billet Black Mustang Billet Grille 41299 (13-14 V6) - Free Shipping

from the pics on AM it looked as though this one would simply fit over the factory one, but after reading numerous thread it seem like this isn't the case??? can anyone tell me what i'll be expecting when my grilles arrive? will I be needing to remove the bumper cover?

also, i'm assuming the chrome surround will be staying if its just fits over, but if I have to take the bumper off is there a way to remove it and use this grille?

The modern billet grille is an overlay. This means it is installed over top of your factory grille. So, no, you won't need to remove anything. I don't know why there are threads out there telling you otherwise!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
The modern billet grille is an overlay. This means it is installed over top of your factory grille. So, no, you won't need to remove anything. I don't know why there are threads out there telling you otherwise!
thanks for the response. got the grilles in and the instructions indicate that it is highly recommended to remove the bumper cover. however, I installed the upper grille in about 15 minutes just removing the radiator cover. hadn't gotten to the lower yet.

but i'm not too happy with it. being an over lay, the pony is further back from the grille (I got the one with pony cutout) so it looks like I have a project on my hands to remove bumper and modify. should be fun.

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BKV6 View Post
thanks for the response. got the grilles in and the instructions indicate that it is highly recommended to remove the bumper cover. however, I installed the upper grille in about 15 minutes just removing the radiator cover. hadn't gotten to the lower yet.

but i'm not too happy with it. being an over lay, the pony is further back from the grille (I got the one with pony cutout) so it looks like I have a project on my hands to remove bumper and modify. should be fun.

Oh, I see. Taking the bumper cover off isn't really all that bad anyhow. I wouldn't think that you should have a problem putting the lower one on with the bumper cover on the car. Seems like you could just remove the deflector right underneath of it and then you'd have access. That's just a thought though. Sorry to hear you aren't too impressed about the grille though. It's certainly true that while an overlay is the easier/cheaper way, a real swap will give you more finished looking results. Good luck modding it!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #52

I just yanked mine out . Just make sure you tape around the grill so no scratching occurs . Just give it a firm tank & it comes right out without having to remove your entire bumper . Worked great for me . However you will still have to put the clips on so the radiator cover will have to be removed . Hope this helps
hardingbrad24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I was lazy and took the easy way out. ..took it to the shop. Thought I might break something anyway
fbakersc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion