Installing new grill help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Installing new grill help

I am wanting to get a new grill and I have heard that the chrome on the stock grill is a pain to deal with. Who has put on a new grill and how difficult was it? I have a 2013 mustang race red.

Thanks
gilbert2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Depends what grill you're going to go with. My idea would be to go with MCA edition billet grill if you can get it for cheap from your dealership.

I have a billet grill from AM and although it doesn't look bad, it ain't the slickest one out there. I took it to a body shop, he pulled the stock grill out (YouTube it), made some holes on chrome surrounded(to which the original grill was attached) and slid it back.

I kinda wish I had plastidipped the chrome thingie black, would have given it a much meaner look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131218_083035.png
Views:	491
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	142083
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Depends what grill you're going to go with. My idea would be to go with MCA edition billet grill if you can get it for cheap from your dealership.

I have a billet grill from AM and although it doesn't look bad, it ain't the slickest one out there. I took it to a body shop, he pulled the stock grill out (YouTube it), made some holes on chrome surrounded(to which the original grill was attached) and slid it back.

I kinda wish I had plastidipped the chrome thingie black, would have given it a much meaner look.

Attachment 142083

I am looking at the CDC performance grill.
I watched a youtube on the roush grill and it didnt seem too bad but i wanted to get customer experiences with them.
CDC Performance Mustang Upper Grille 1311-7000-01 (13-14 GT, V6, Boss) - Free Shipping 1311-7000-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Yeah, while I haven't done it yet, I am about to put a Boss 302 grille on my V6. The issue (as you sound like you already know) is that the upper grille surround on the V6 (the chrome bit) is different from the one on the GT. It will need to be totally removed with the V6's bumper. The CDC grille looks to have a built-in surround so you won't have to buy a separate surround like me (which runs about $75). No idea how difficult it is to remove/replace, but I'll find out shortly. From what I've seen, the GT grille simply pulls out, but the V6 doesn't.
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Yeah, while I haven't done it yet, I am about to put a Boss 302 grille on my V6. The issue (as you sound like you already know) is that the upper grille surround on the V6 (the chrome bit) is different from the one on the GT. It will need to be totally removed with the V6's bumper. The CDC grille looks to have a built-in surround so you won't have to buy a separate surround like me (which runs about $75). No idea how difficult it is to remove/replace, but I'll find out shortly. From what I've seen, the GT grille simply pulls out, but the V6 doesn't.
yea the v6 chrome piece is suppose to be able to removed but i have heard issues with it
Old 12-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbert2112 View Post
yea the v6 chrome piece is suppose to be able to removed but i have heard issues with it
This is all I can find on the subject.

Mustang Roush Upper Grille (2013-2014) Installation Instructions

This guy was installing a Roush grille on a V6. It didn't look that difficult to remove everything.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
My 2014s grill didn't just pull out by hand. I had to attach a rope and give it a really hard pull. I installed the cdc performance grill and it looks amazing, and it removes that stupid chrome surround.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I had no issues with the stock grill and chrome piece coming out. If i remember right its just a series of tabs you pull up and it all comes out as one piece. I think i used a flat head to help lift the tabs. It was a breeze, there shouldn't be any difficulties
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Installing new grill help

Good afternoon!

I see that you are considering the CDC .. I have the CDC. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387477140.079203.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	142215

And to me it was a pain in the butt.. Maybe it was my short fat fingers
If the search function allows you to search, search CDC performance grille.
I created a thread on it....

We removed the front bumper. I did not want to damage anything by yanking it out plus I couldn't yank it out(fat fingers remember?). I also had to make modifications to make the CDC fit.

A lot of people I've seen take the plastic thingy off above the radiator to get to the grille ..(I believe this is what they did) anybody? ... That might be easier ..
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
My 2014s grill didn't just pull out by hand. I had to attach a rope and give it a really hard pull. I installed the cdc performance grill and it looks amazing, and it removes that stupid chrome surround.

sorry I didn't see your post... Hmm a rope sounds interesting!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I Plasti-dipped the chrome surround on my grille as soon as I got the car.

Easy, cheap, effective.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmiller View Post
sorry I didn't see your post... Hmm a rope sounds interesting!

Be careful to not get it around the back piece behind the grille. Else you'll just be pulling and having a really hard time.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387746367.299346.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	142579

Finished product
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Very nice, I have the CDC Performance grille as well (also have the RTR chin spoiler - my car was selected by CDC for a make over in August 2012 so got the full treatment).

The lower grille and original spoiler were taken out by an orange traffic cone falling off the truck in front of me on the expressway. So painted the new chin to match, and swapped the lower grille. The Roush lower complements the CDC Performance upper grille I think.

I also added a tri-bar to the upper grille. I had it facing left, but the tail hung out into the opening and someone "plucked" the tail off so I reversed it with the replacement.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Love the CDC grille too. So, what kind of modifications needed to be made to the CDC to fit?

Will the GT grille surround fit into the V6 fascia when I remove the V6 surround or am I going to have to modify it?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

The CDC was a direct swap, no modification needed on my car. I have the MCA edition so no chrome trim to deal with. The CDC person just taped it off to avoid scratching the paint and pulled the stock grille straight out. The CDC Performance than slid right back in with all the tabs lined up

The Roush lower did require some cutting of the tabs.

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

And with the 2013+ the GT and V6 bumpers and grilles are the same.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Love the CDC grille too. So, what kind of modifications needed to be made to the CDC to fit?

Will the GT grille surround fit into the V6 fascia when I remove the V6 surround or am I going to have to modify it?

You might be like JimC and be fortunate not to have to make any mods to the bumper but there where two black pieces that prevented the grille from sliding into place. I had to cute them off. Not really sure my mines different than the others but this is what I had to do to make it fit. I will see if I can find a picture of them. I should have taken one.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Not a pic but this is actually another thread on here ...CDC Grille Install

I wish I would have known this when I got mine.... Guess I'm the idiot that cut them off lol ... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387810509.163765.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	142632
Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So then it sounds like the ticket is going to be removing the bumper cover. Not a big deal I guess, I have seen a few tutorials on removing it. I will post pics when it's done!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
So then it sounds like the ticket is going to be removing the bumper cover. Not a big deal I guess, I have seen a few tutorials on removing it. I will post pics when it's done!
Easy to do. If you have a partner, it will make it go quick, but I've removed mine by myself twice now. Have an old blanket spread on the garage floor ready to place the bumper cover on so you don't scratch the paint. The cover sides get a bit wobbly when its removed from the car.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
You might be like JimC and be fortunate not to have to make any mods to the bumper but there where two black pieces that prevented the grille from sliding into place. I had to cute them off. Not really sure my mines different than the others but this is what I had to do to make it fit. I will see if I can find a picture of them. I should have taken one.
Now that you mention the two black pieces I remember those had to be cut on my car. I forgot about it (it was over a year ago). But it was quick to do.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 PM ----------

But it wasn't necessary to remove the bumper. The grille just pulls out.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Done and done!

So, it took about two hours. I took the bumper cover removal route. You firstly need to remove the radiator cover. Then the air deflector underneath the engine bay. Then you can unscrew the bumper. In all, there were eight screws on the top, bottom, and wheel wells. Tons of screws. Did hit a hiccup because once you unscrew everything, there are plastic tabs which secure the sides of the bumper just forward of the wheels. There are three tabs on each side and the only way to remove the bumper is to yank it. On the driver's side, one of the tabs snapped, probably due to how cold it is here. It really doesn't make that much of a difference as it's still held on by screws and the two remaining tabs. Once I got the bumper off, I realized that there was no way of taking the upper grille out without breaking the chrome tabs. Once broken, I realized two things; that I could never go back and put the stock grille on and that my new Boss grille HAD BETTER fit. Thankfully it did. Putting the grilles in was MUCH easier than taking them out. They simply snapped into place. I lightly hit it with my hand to make sure the clips were secured. So, all in all, on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being extremely easy), I give this install a 3.5.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	142817   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	631.1 KB
ID:	142818  

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	142819   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	631.1 KB
ID:	142820  

Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Don't know why my last pic is upside down but if you open it in its own window it flips rightside up.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Sweet!! Glad everything everything worked out for you lol!!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! This is my first major aesthetic mod to any car and there was a point when I had the bumper cover laying on the ground and the car looking like it had been in an accident where I got a little queasy. I couldn't help but think that I wouldn't be able to put it back together but I did prevail. lol
Old 12-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Hahah right on! I had that same feeling!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

@ JimC....could you please tell me how you attached the pony emblem? I bought one from american muscle but the bolt on the bracket wasn't long enough to attach to the grill.
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by air_commando88 View Post
@ JimC....could you please tell me how you attached the pony emblem? I bought one from american muscle but the bolt on the bracket wasn't long enough to attach to the grill.
I used a wide "L" shaped bracket - double faced body tape to hold that to the grille bar, and then some on the back of the pony to the face of the "L". It holds up well - held so tight to the first one that someone broke the tail off trying to pull it off!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I appreciate it!
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Nice looking Grills, but one question I had while looking at a GT500 on Black Friday (no I didn't cave and get a new McMansion sized house payment)

It seems to me there is no large stone/rock protection on the radiator anymore? Being I got a crack in my first grill during the first year, it seems a rock could put a road trip into pull over the side and get towed for cooling problems?

Just asking as I know it looks kewl and is put on$69K cars that have payments larger than many houses.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I've inspected the same thing on a couple GT500s. There is nothing standing in the way of rocks/birds/plants and things.

That's what stopped me from purchasing a CDC grille too, as the CDC is very similar to the GT500 grille. No idea but I feel that Ford wouldn't build their flagship sports car with such a blatant fault. Maybe there's more to it.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

No there's nothing at all there to stop birds from getting sucked down in there ... I speak from experience lol....

It's only happened once ... Lol
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

How did the radiator fair? Better than the bird I hope?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

It was fine and so was the bird... I saw it get sucked down in there so I pulled over and it flew out lol... Talk about mind blown lol
Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was fine and so was the bird... I saw it get sucked down in there so I pulled over and it flew out lol... Talk about mind blown lol
Wow. That's pretty funny!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion