BBK 73mm Throttle Body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
BBK 73mm Throttle Body

Thinking about getting a BBK 73mm throttle body for my '13 V6. Anybody have one and willing to comment on it? Is it worth it? I'll need a tune right?

Any feedback is appreciated.
StewartL1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartL1189 View Post
Thinking about getting a BBK 73mm throttle body for my '13 V6. Anybody have one and willing to comment on it? Is it worth it? I'll need a tune right?

I don't have it but everyone as a different opinions. Some like it and some think it's to costly for what you get.

No it doesn't need a tune. But you will get the full performance with a tune.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

From previous posts, don't waste your money unless your fuel injected. Using a turbo or supercharger you would need one.

It's like having a 4 inch tube hooked up to a 4 inch tube, that's ok. Now you take a 8 inch tube but it's still going into a 4 inch tube. Your limited on the flow of gas into the engine.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

From previous posts, don't waste your money unless your fuel injected. Using a turbo or supercharger you would need one.

It's like having a 4 inch tube hooked up to a 4 inch tube, that's ok. Now you take a 8 inch tube but it's still going into a 4 inch tube. Your limited on the flow of gas into the engine.
Huh?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Are you thinking that the throttle body is a restriction and causing as loss in potential power? Or are you being influenced by advertising? Note the V6 and V8 use the same size throttle body.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13savage6 View Post

Huh?
What he is saying is that our stock manifold can only take in so much air and putting a bigger throttle body on doesn't really do anything. All it does is allow more potential air to go into the manifold, but the manifold will still take in the same amount. If that makes sense and I don't believe any companies have plans to make a bigger intake manifolds for our 3.7s.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
What he is saying is that our stock manifold can only take in so much air and putting a bigger throttle body on doesn't really do anything. All it does is allow more potential air to go into the manifold, but the manifold will still take in the same amount. If that makes sense and I don't believe any companies have plans to make a bigger intake manifolds for our 3.7s.

That's what was thinking too. They (BBK) claim that the part can gain you 15hp alone, but I found that a little hard to believe.
StewartL1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
That's what was thinking too. They (BBK) claim that the part can gain you 15hp alone, but I found that a little hard to believe.
Yep lol same thing with CAI and just about every other mode on any car siteā€¦ i don't know about anyone else, but when i first saw on their site about all the poneys that can be gained easily i was so happy until i hit up here and learned the hard truth lol

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Let me share this info. Your engine at it's best pumps 504.59 cfm. That's 227 cu. in. x 7000 rpm x 1.10 VE / 3464. Your stock throttle body covers that. A BBK 70mm flows 726cfm. Consider that no manufacturer likes to state cfm numbers or guarantees that your car will run faster speeds in the 1/4 or your money back. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying this equipment, just don't expect much. Your stock TB isn't an issue. Getting cool outside air to the throttle body would help a bunch more, but only above 90mph. If your TB was undersized, it still wouldn't show up until the engine was well over 6000 rpm. If your not racing, it's a waste of money.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #10

Region: Tennessee
As someone that actually has the BBK 73mm on my car,it helps with throttle response and mid range. I haven't heard of anyone taking one back off. No you do not need a tune.
trustyrusty436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've had BBK throttle bodies in the past and you either get a good one or you get one that causes a ton of issues. I would go a different route than BBK for a TB personally but YMMV. Do not get a cheap SR one either.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty436 View Post
As someone that actually has the BBK 73mm on my car,it helps with throttle response and mid range. I haven't heard of anyone taking one back off. No you do not need a tune.
I read here in your thread that you were asking for comments form people who actually have one on their car instead of hypothetical opinions from people who do not and have not had one on their car.

I have one and love it. It makes a very very nice improvement which you can actually feel and enjoy the improved throttle response and nicer driveability. Go drive one without one after you have had one on your car and you will never go back.

Hope that helps, best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
I read here in your thread that you were asking for comments form people who actually have one on their car instead of hypothetical opinions from people who do not and have not had one on their car.

I have one and love it. It makes a very very nice improvement which you can actually feel and enjoy the improved throttle response and nicer driveability. Go drive one without one after you have had one on your car and you will never go back.

Hope that helps, best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

Check the thread date, I'd say he made his decision about 2 years ago
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Kevin.Cook

That and his last login date was Feb. 2014. XD
Old 09-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, wonder why this thread was so high up on the list of threads appearing to be current? It was not far down the list of current threads.

Interesting.

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion