Labor Time For Suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Toy
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Labor Time For Suspension

What do you think is the appropriate amount of hours to do front and rear coils, shocks, rear upper control arm, rear lower, and rear panhard bar?
Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
For a shop...maybe 4-6 hours if they are doing the alignment too.

On my Camaro SS I was quoted $560 for springs and alignment. So I did the springs myself and paid $60 for an alignment.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Toy
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
This involves control arms as well.
Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had asked a shop a while back, and they told me it would be in the neighborhood of $700, including an alignment. They are one of the best, but also more expensive shops around. That was just a number the guy gave me of the top of his head, as I was just getting ready to buy all the parts at that time.

The quote was for:

Springs
Shocks and struts
GT500 mounts
UCA
UCA mount
LCA
LCA relocation bracket
Panhard bar
Alignment
Old 12-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I didn't do control arms but it took me 8 hours and I had no experience nor a lift. Just used jack and jack stands. It shouldn't take a shop (that has proper tools) more than 3-4 hours. Now alignment. Well I got that done and it took like 2 hours at our local tire shop (Goodyear). And cost 85 due to 20" rims.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
blu
Registered Member
Regular

My local Ford Dealer Service Department quoted me 600-700 to install the full FRPP/FR3 $1900 set up. This was December 2013. And he said they'd keep the car for 2 days, allowing them to take their time with all the processes.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post
I had asked a shop a while back, and they told me it would be in the neighborhood of $700, including an alignment. They are one of the best, but also more expensive shops around. That was just a number the guy gave me of the top of his head, as I was just getting ready to buy all the parts at that time. The quote was for: Springs Shocks and struts GT500 mounts UCA UCA mount LCA LCA relocation bracket Panhard bar Alignment
I take back what I said about what the shop quoted me... I called that shop again and this time they quoted me $1066. Another shop quoted me $1175. That's pretty ridiculous! Needless to say, I will be doing the work myself.

Each shop quoted me 10 hours, plus the alignment... Looks like they don't consider that as one job, but instead they consider every part it's own job, as if they're doing it from scratch. No other way to explain the 10 hours of labor...
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post
I take back what I said about what the shop quoted me... I called that shop again and this time they quoted me $1066. Another shop quoted me $1175. That's pretty ridiculous! Needless to say, I will be doing the work myself.

Each shop quoted me 10 hours, plus the alignment... Looks like they don't consider that as one job, but instead they consider every part it's own job, as if they're doing it from scratch. No other way to explain the 10 hours of labor...
That's the best motivation to do things yourself. Some of these shops want to bend you over for any little job. The first time I bought lowering springs I was quoted $597 for install and alignment. The next weekend my car was on stands and I was doing it myself (1st time) and with a little phone call help from a forum member i was done in a little over 4 hours. Total cost for me with alignment and a few tools I needed to buy......$87.00 (and a few scrapes and sore muscles..lol)
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Honestly if you have the time and hand tools do it yourself. Suspension is easy (coming from a guy who is as good with tools as a gorilla)

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I've done control arms and the likes before on my last car. I've just never done springs. My main thing is the time, for the past few months 70+ hour work weeks have been quite common. Things will slow down a bit after next month though.

I did get a quote from another local mustang shop for half the price of what the other shops quoted me. They'll even come and pick up the car from me, and bring it back to me at the end of the day when it's done. Might go with them, or I might just wait until after next month and tackle it myself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion