Whiteline Watts Link Rear Suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Whiteline Watts Link Rear Suspension

V6s or V8s

Any of you guys/girls out there using the Whiteline Watts Link Rear Suspension (American Muscle, part# 54111)?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Back of the car is basically the same so same thing.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You will corner like a boss with a WL

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Get rid of the UCA altogether to free up the rear. Add on a torque arm as well.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

I haven't seen you post here before...
This man is a genius when it comes to suspension.
He's my mentor.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Watts link, Torque arm, and coilovers. You will see some Subie headlights in the corners.

HID end all thread
Old 12-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Watts link, Torque arm, and coilovers. You will see some Subie headlights in the corners.
I have two different ways to go. UCA, with Whiteline Adjustable Rear Upper Control arms...$1,142 with 6% discount or....

Rear UCA, Lower Adjustable Control Arms, Brackets for Lower Arms, Whiteling Adjustable Pan Hard Bar and Pan Hard Support Brace....around $900 with 6& discount.

Why coil overs? I already have the Ford Racing Handling Package installed. New Springs with it.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Don't bother with upper control arms, just go straight to a Torque arm, and as for the coilovers they are fully adjustable for stiffness and ride height.

HID end all thread
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Even with the coilovers the spring is just sandwiched between the axel and body. I wish they had a coil spring setup similar to the front suspension.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Even with the coilovers the spring is just sandwiched between the axel and body. I wish they had a coil spring setup similar to the front suspension.

Last time I checked, they are available
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387758420.359993.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	142596
Old 12-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Last time I checked, they are available
Yup, I actually just decided to check and sure as ****, they do have them. Looks like I'll be swapping out my coil overs.

Your pic shows coil spring in strut and a watts link. Do you have a link so I can research?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Griggsracing.com
There rear suspension kit is my next step
Then there SLA
Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
V6s or V8s

Any of you guys/girls out there using the Whiteline Watts Link Rear Suspension (American Muscle, part# 54111)?
Whiteline makes a great product! I run their Lower Control arms on my 2011 GT and have full intentions of getting the Watts Link set up. The Whiteline Watts Link Rear Suspension allows the axle to move up and down in a true vertical plane keeping it centered under the car, so that your roll center behaves exactly the same in a left hand turn as it does in a right hand turn. This allows for predictable and tune-able handling, perfect for street and track cars.

These are also ride height adjustable. So it doesn't matter if you're Stock, Lowered on Springs, Coil overs etc.. you can still use the Watt links set up!

I hope this helps. It sounds like you have some really big plans for your Suspension. That's really cool to see! Keep up the great work with your build and let me know if you ever have any questions.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Ok, why should I get rid of the UCA altogether? Adding a torque arm for track use?

Beginner here.

THANKS,
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Whiteline makes a great product! I run their Lower Control arms on my 2011 GT and have full intentions of getting the Watts Link set up. The Whiteline Watts Link Rear Suspension allows the axle to move up and down in a true vertical plane keeping it centered under the car, so that your roll center behaves exactly the same in a left hand turn as it does in a right hand turn. This allows for predictable and tune-able handling, perfect for street and track cars.

These are also ride height adjustable. So it doesn't matter if you're Stock, Lowered on Springs, Coil overs etc.. you can still use the Watt links set up!

I hope this helps. It sounds like you have some really big plans for your Suspension. That's really cool to see! Keep up the great work with your build and let me know if you ever have any questions.

-Dan
Someone mentioned that I should put on some Coilovers. I already have the FRHP system. I thought I took care of most of the suspension with this package. Or could it be they didn't notice the ad-ons?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Someone mentioned that I should put on some Coilovers. I already have the FRHP system. I thought I took care of most of the suspension with this package. Or could it be they didn't notice the ad-ons?
Coileovers are a great option over the stock suspension. However, so is the FRPP System that you're running. You won't notice all that much of a difference in handling and ride quality from your current suspension set up, to coilovers. The only thing you'd really gain is the ability to adjust the ride height!

I don't think it's necessary to run Coilovers, if you're already running a great Suspension set up.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Griggsracing.com
There rear suspension kit is my next step
Then there SLA
Prepare thy wallet/anus...

Quote:
Ok, why should I get rid of the UCA altogether? Adding a torque arm for track use?

Beginner here.

THANKS,
The stock 4 link suspension is marginal at best for keeping the rear end of the car properly situated. Going to a torque arm/panhard setup/3 link eliminates side to side play and drastically improves the entire way the rearend operates. A Watts link is even better because a panhard bar does not quite allow the rear to articulate up and down in a true vertical fashion as was already mentioned, the Watts link does.

There is also the much maligned IRS which, IMO, is the better option for a street car. If you are on a prepped track the built SRA/watts/etc... is going to shine but for an unprepped daily driven road with bumps, potholes and whatever else I'll take a properly setup IRS any day. That's just me though, YMMV.

Then for up front there is the SLA setup which is a bit overkill for a non-competition road racer but it all depends what ppl want to do. For the majority of ppl a good front coilover setup/k member like the $1700 Max Motorsports front kit with forward offset A arms will be MORE than fine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Prepare thy wallet/anus...

The stock 4 link suspension is marginal at best for keeping the rear end of the car properly situated. Going to a torque arm/panhard setup/3 link eliminates side to side play and drastically improves the entire way the rearend operates. A Watts link is even better because a panhard bar does not quite allow the rear to articulate up and down in a true vertical fashion as was already mentioned, the Watts link does.

There is also the much maligned IRS which, IMO, is the better option for a street car. If you are on a prepped track the built SRA/watts/etc... is going to shine but for an unprepped daily driven road with bumps, potholes and whatever else I'll take a properly setup IRS any day. That's just me though, YMMV.

Then for up front there is the SLA setup which is a bit overkill for a non-competition road racer but it all depends what ppl want to do. For the majority of ppl a good front coilover setup/k member like the $1700 Max Motorsports front kit with forward offset A arms will be MORE than fine.
I choose the FRHP because I wanted a one time drop on the car. No track or road course use. Just a little V6 that has a little bit bigger balls than stock cars. Your right about back roads. Beats the H*ll out of you but I knew that was going to happen. Rather cruise on the interstate.

Thanks for your response.

Merry Christmas....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion