Finally got a good fix for the shifter reach issue in 94-04 cars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Finally got a good fix for the shifter reach issue in 94-04 cars

For those who don't know there is a Hurst/TKO adapter plate available from Steeda. Jegs sells it here. Problem is the front holes on it are 3/8" for Hurst/TKO and every other single effing shifter uses M8 bolts. Anyway, made some adapters for it by reaming out some 3/8" OD nylon bushings and heating them up/pressing the bolts through them and then letting them tap themselves the rest of the way.

Instizzalled

Neutral

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

OD

Very happy to finally have a shifter I am not reaching for and keeps the shifts as short as they were prior to it. Still kicking around moving it back up to the top holes for a little extra leverage, we'll see but overall this makes a HUGE difference over the stock location. I've been doing the knees in the dash and lean to the right every time I'm making a serious shift. Going to have to train myself not to now...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
This is an awesome fix. Think I might do the same. I have been asked if I'm trying to be like Vin Diesel... NO MAN! Just reaching for my shifter. smh!
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol if you were trying to be like FatF you'd shift 8 times before hitting 100 and your floorpans would randomly fly off.

Only thing I am debating is whether I'm going to leave it in the lowest setting or move it up higher. More leverage and shorter distance to reach from the wheel but a little longer throw. Not like I'm going to be able to drive it much anyway, only reason it was out today and will be tomorrow is we have some crazy *** warm front in NJ where its like 70 and sunny... No idea.

Edit: holy crap I am cleaning the living **** out of this thing tomorrow.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
How tall are you Scotty?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

5'11 and 3/4. Some higher power has deemed it prudent to taunt me with 1/4" for some reason. Although Drew Brees is listed at 6'0 and is really 5'10 so I shouldn't feel too bad lol. My wingspan is right around 6 ft too.

I did move the shifter up to the top holes and put the bezel back in today. More comfortable that way and a little easier to reach. Just very weird to have the knob out over the edge of the front cupholder now lol. In 2nd and 4th.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Way to use the ol' noggin Scotty!

Anything over a half inch, you just round up to the next inch... BAM! You're 6 ft tall.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion