Leery Of 05 GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Leery Of 05 GT?

So I have heard that the 05 had some issues, but this car came up and was a good price, with 52k on the clock:

Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe For Sale in Irving - Las Colinas TX 44452 | Irving - Las Colinas Used Ford For Sale 1ZVFT82H455209624

So it made me wonder if the car wasn't all that bad.. So I looked up some problems.. It seems the 05 was a problem machine! Should I stray away from this car because it's a 05, even though it's a decent deal? All of the problems with electrical, clusters on your gauges going out, and more seem to scare me off. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on the 05, and if you think I should steer clear from it due to the problems. You can also look at the cars carfax.. One of the last things on it says that the dealer checked its electrical system. Sort of scares me, but it could also be a good thing.

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
If it were me, id absolutely buy it. Problems and all, id love working em all out and making it better.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

See I am in college and work a lot. So I don't want a problem car. I want a car that I won't have to put much money into, or constantly fix. Especially if I'm paying 12k for it...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
So I have heard that the 05 had some issues, but this car came up and was a good price, with 52k on the clock: Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe For Sale in Irving - Las Colinas TX 44452 | Irving - Las Colinas Used Ford For Sale 1ZVFT82H455209624 So it made me wonder if the car wasn't all that bad.. So I looked up some problems.. It seems the 05 was a problem machine! Should I stray away from this car because it's a 05, even though it's a decent deal? All of the problems with electrical, clusters on your gauges going out, and more seem to scare me off. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on the 05, and if you think I should steer clear from it due to the problems. You can also look at the cars carfax.. One of the last things on it says that the dealer checked its electrical system. Sort of scares me, but it could also be a good thing. Thanks for reading and hopefully replying!
My brothers 05 has been problem free for him, other then going through tires like crazy
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
My brothers 05 has been problem free for him, other then going through tires like crazy
How many miles on it? I just hear about the electrical problems and clusters going out in the gauges which is a 800$ fix...:\

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How many miles on it? I just hear about the electrical problems and clusters going out in the gauges which is a 800$ fix...:\
He bought it with 64k and now is sitting at 82k.
If the title is clean and its free of damage i say test drive it, rape the **** out of it, inspect it with a rubber glove and if everything checks out, GET IT
Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Fixed mine cost 25 bucks off eBay
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Fixed mine cost 25 bucks off eBay
I watched a video over it, and it seems like you have to have knowledge of soldering to fix it. I don't have the tools nor the knowledge. I'd screw up the board and then be screwed..

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He bought it with 64k and now is sitting at 82k. If the title is clean and its free of damage i say test drive it, rape the **** out of it, inspect it with a rubber glove and if everything checks out, GET IT
Yeah I will. I am trying to decide if I want a 05-09 GT, 11 v6 (I like all the options like ford sync), and a 350z. I need to test drive a GT and Z.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Stepper motors are stupid easy to solder. It's not like you're working with components the size of what's in you smartphone.

2004 GT - Bama SCT Tuner - Pypes catted X-Pipe - Pypes Violator Catback
- Comp XE270AH - DIY Sequential Turn Signals in the works!
ltdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I will. I am trying to decide if I want a 05-09 GT, 11 v6 (I like all the options like ford sync), and a 350z. I need to test drive a GT and Z.
The performance aspect isn't too far off from the 3 with the z being last.. I'd go with an s197 though ( nothing against the 11 v6!)
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That is a good looking car, love the color, interior looks good from the interwebs. The 05 was a first year run. Likely the recalls were all done, soldering that stepper motor is as easy as watching a video and buying a cheap $10 soldering gun and $3 worth of solder if it even goes bad.

I mean its whatever you are comfortable with. That is a DEAL on that car with that mileage you just have to make sure the carfax is clean, check it for any signs of non-reported accidents like overspray or panels not quite lining up right etc...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That is a good looking car, love the color, interior looks good from the interwebs. The 05 was a first year run. Likely the recalls were all done, soldering that stepper motor is as easy as watching a video and buying a cheap $10 soldering gun and $3 worth of solder if it even goes bad. I mean its whatever you are comfortable with. That is a DEAL on that car with that mileage you just have to make sure the carfax is clean, check it for any signs of non-reported accidents like overspray or panels not quite lining up right etc...
Was there recalls for all that stuff? I didn't know, carfax didn't say there was

The car looks super nice, and the motor is young. I don't like the color that much but hey, it can grow on me.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
It would seem you are talking yourself out of that car before you have even gone and looked at it!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It would seem you are talking yourself out of that car before you have even gone and looked at it!
Yeah.. I do that lol. I don't like to impulse buy, so I always make it worse than it really is XD

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well in the end its what makes YOU happy. From what I can see from behind my monitor that is a VERY nice car for a VERY good price. I personally love the color combo but that's just me. Looks to be in great shape, low miles etc...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Things that may or may not occur with your specific vehicle.

The only problem I've had with my 06 GT is after cruising on the hwy then coming to a stop. As I start to accelerate the engine burps, hesitate, then goes with no problem. It doesn't happen all the time. It's caused by air bubbles around the fuel pump.

That being said. I think the car you're looking at is nice.

Check this link.

2005 Mustang TSB's and Recalls - LatemodelRestoration.com
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Things that may or may not occur with your specific vehicle. The only problem I've had with my 06 GT is after cruising on the hwy then coming to a stop. As I start to accelerate the engine burps, hesitate, then goes with no problem. It doesn't happen all the time. It's caused by air bubbles around the fuel pump. That being said. I think the car you're looking at is nice. Check this link. 2005 Mustang TSB's and Recalls - LatemodelRestoration.com
Sure does seem like those 05-06's have a lot I problems lol.. Then again my 99 is a start of a new gen also.. Mines been perfect

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Sure does seem like those 05-06's have a lot I problems lol.. Then again my 99 is a start of a new gen also.. Mines been perfect
Nope the 99 is not, they went from 97, tested most of the 99-04 stuff in the 98 which was a hybrid of the 97/99 platforms and then moved it all over in 99. Having a 98 means you generally need to find 98 specific stuff or bust out the wiring diagrams. Ask me how I know lol.

But yeah the 05 was a TOTALLY new platform, even when they went from the Fox to the SN95 the chassis was the same and they still shared a lot of the same parts.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Smile

V6 Stang, If the 05 you are looking at is a Texas car, I would suspect it was not exposed to salt from Winter driving. That 05 would be a good candidate for sending to Jon Kasse to have a Boss 9 installed after you graduate from college. I would buy it for that reason alone.
Tire Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Shaker View Post
V6 Stang, If the 05 you are looking at is a Texas car, I would suspect it was not exposed to salt from Winter driving. That 05 would be a good candidate for sending to Jon Kasse to have a Boss 9 installed after you graduate from college. I would buy it for that reason alone.
It actually sold last night, before I could even get out there to look at it. Working a lot sucks lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah that thing was a steal. Its happened to me too. Honestly my first mustang SHOULD have been a 1994 black on tan convertible GT that had 60k miles, flowmaster catback and 3.55 gears. This was back in 2001 and it was local to my Parents' house two hours away. Had to wait for the weekend for them to come get me and of course it sold Friday afternoon. Ended up with a ratted out (but effing fast) modded 91GT. Blah...

Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that thing was a steal. Its happened to me too. Honestly my first mustang SHOULD have been a 1994 black on tan convertible GT that had 60k miles, flowmaster catback and 3.55 gears. This was back in 2001 and it was local to my Parents' house two hours away. Had to wait for the weekend for them to come get me and of course it sold Friday afternoon. Ended up with a ratted out (but effing fast) modded 91GT. Blah...
m

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Well sounds like my story except for the last part hopefully lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I would get the new v6 especially if your worried about problems.

The performance between the two is very similar.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I would get the new v6 especially if your worried about problems.

The performance between the two is very similar.
The 3.7L is very similar to the 3V in terms of performance but good luck getting a nice one for $11k.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 3.7L is very similar to the 3V in terms of performance but good luck getting a nice one for $11k.

+1!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly. They are 16k +....

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

You could buy mine.
Im selling asap or will start a part out.
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Exactly. They are 16k +....
And the 3V still wins in the 1/4 and mod for mod will make more power. Also if you've ever heard one with the FRPP hot cams... mmmm....

Me personally I'd take a 3V over the new V6 any day of the week but if you are buying new or want a car that is only a year or two old and don't need or want the 5.0 they are a great deal. Very interested to see what the new S550 4 bangers are going to be like. Ppl say "blasphemy" when you mention the 4 cyl but the SVO was a 4 banger stanger and those things kick ***.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And the 3V still wins in the 1/4 and mod for mod will make more power. Also if you've ever heard one with the FRPP hot cams... mmmm....

Me personally I'd take a 3V over the new V6 any day of the week but if you are buying new or want a car that is only a year or two old and don't need or want the 5.0 they are a great deal. Very interested to see what the new S550 4 bangers are going to be like. Ppl say "blasphemy" when you mention the 4 cyl but the SVO was a 4 banger stanger and those things kick ***.

Yuuup!!
I bet they sale like crazy too, especially with all these honda etc. owners..
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Yuuup!!
I bet they sale like crazy too, especially with all these honda etc. owners..
It still being RWD, most of the former Honda owners wouldn't know what to do when the rear end breaks traction under power. They would likely cry out for Vtech just before they side swiped something.

Damn Hondas and their wrong wheel drive (excluding NSX and S2000).
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

I effing can't STAND FWD vehicles. Like... I guess I know why they exist which is so dip****s don't spin out in bad weather quite as often as they already do but still. My wife's CR-V is FWD/AWD and at least that will kick in the back wheels if it detects any slip and is so slow it really doesn't matter anyway. A FWD sports/performance car is just epic fail at every possible level.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

What does a 3v run with full bolt ons minus cams/heAds or a new intake manifold? Fastest n/a 3.7 runs 12.59-12.6@108-109 mph. My car ran a 8.6@84 mph in the 1/8th with only shorty headers/tune/intake.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I effing can't STAND FWD vehicles. Like... I guess I know why they exist which is so dip****s don't spin out in bad weather quite as often as they already do but still. My wife's CR-V is FWD/AWD and at least that will kick in the back wheels if it detects any slip and is so slow it really doesn't matter anyway. A FWD sports/performance car is just epic fail at every possible level.
Regardless of all the negatives, FFs are more efficient drivetrain setups. So for a car that is reliable and efficient, a FF will be better than a FR. For the countless people in the country who don't care about driving, they just go to work, and get groceries, and don't care, FF cars and electric cars and all that will do them just fine.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And the 3V still wins in the 1/4 and mod for mod will make more power. Also if you've ever heard one with the FRPP hot cams... mmmm.... Me personally I'd take a 3V over the new V6 any day of the week but if you are buying new or want a car that is only a year or two old and don't need or want the 5.0 they are a great deal. Very interested to see what the new S550 4 bangers are going to be like. Ppl say "blasphemy" when you mention the 4 cyl but the SVO was a 4 banger stanger and those things kick ***.
I really want the ford sync and the button on the steering wheel, but that **** isn't worth 3-5k extra IMO. The GT has more tq and is faster anyways. Man I loved hooking up my phone to Bluetooth tho, and calling my parents from the car lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion