Tired of damaging your front lower valance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Tired of damaging your front lower valance?

After installing the Boss/CS lower front valance and splitter, I began to get paranoid everytime I had to park the car by one of those parking lot concrete curb stoppers.
I came accross an article on "Curb Alert". I bought one, and am happy I did. The instructions are straight forward, except it took me longer than the 45 minutes they say (I routed all the cables/wiring in plastic protection like the factory wiring).

Now when I get within 20 inches of an obsticle in the front, I hear 3 beeps; no more worries that my front lower valance or splitter will get damaged.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Or you could just back in
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Or just don't try to park within an inch of the barrier...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't park within 50ft of anything much less 20"
Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

All great advice, but we all know it happens. For a hundred bucks, it was worth the price and the time spent to install it. Works great, and I don't have to worry about clunking the lower nose into a park stop. I'm good at judging the stop, but my wife is not. I no longer worry (to much) when she takes the Mustang.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd rather have it for backing up honestly. My truck has the backup sensors and that's nice for a bigger vehicle. But I haven't had one on any other vehicle ever and I've been fine. Of course now that I say that I'll go right out and back the CR-V into a tree...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I do miss the back up camera from my f250 when I am in the mustang, not that I cant see ok out of the mustang but at night (5% tint on the rear window) or when say the rear window is fogged over a backup camera gives clean clear sight.
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
All great advice, but we all know it happens. For a hundred bucks, it was worth the price and the time spent to install it. Works great, and I don't have to worry about clunking the lower nose into a park stop. I'm good at judging the stop, but my wife is not. I no longer worry (to much) when she takes the Mustang.
Save $100, don't let the wife drive it! Lol. My wife understands that its my baby and she's quite happy driving her own car. The first month that she had her brand new Mazda 5 gt she scraped the valance pulling into a spot so $100
Investment isn't a bad idea!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Save $100, don't let the wife drive it!
Not such good advice! As my wife of 30 years, she drives my car, and I drive hers. Makes for a happy household.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not such good advice! As my wife of 30 years, she drives my car, and I drive hers. Makes for a happy household.
Wife of 15 years and just celebrated 25 together and all good here bro! It can b done, Just saying.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I just like taking her BMW 645 convertable out for a spin, so I see it as a great tradeoff!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just like taking her BMW 645 convertable out for a spin, so I see it as a great tradeoff!
Very nice trade off!!! Your wife has good taste. My wife wants a Mazda Miata when the kids are older and have there own wheels.....but for now its the 5. To be honest I think she's a little intimidated by how much power our cars have and maybe that's why she really has no interest in my mustang. Works for me I guess.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Her dream was to own a 6 series. We priced used ones (two and 4 year lease returns), but they still were out of reach. Then she got cancer. She beat it. I decided that what she went through, she deserved whatever made her happy. A week later, she had the 2005 645 convertable. She still has it, and it gets washed every Saturday whenthe Mustang gets its bath.

The BMW is "her" car; the Mustang is "ours". I have no problem with that.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Her dream was to own a 6 series. We priced used ones (two and 4 year lease returns), but they still were out of reach. Then she got cancer. She beat it. I decided that what she went through, she deserved whatever made her happy. A week later, she had the 2005 645 convertable. She still has it, and it gets washed every Saturday whenthe Mustang gets its bath.

The BMW is "her" car; the Mustang is "ours". I have no problem with that.
That's a very touching story with a very happy outcome! I'm glad to hear she beat it!!! Are you going to put one of those proxy censors on her 6?
Old 12-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yea AM has one of those things. I am probably going to invest in one after I get my coilovers. Not low enough right now.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

The Boss splitter is very tough. It's good quality plastic and has a very thick skid pad. I've had mine over a year and it's had its share of scrapes and bumps. I actually jumped a curb at a drift event. I could see where the splitter came into contact with the concrete but it wasn't gouged or deformed. It still looked pretty good.

A parking indicator is a good idea, I would definitely invest in one if anyone else ever drove my car.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've got the rear camera and sensors. It's hard to imagine not having them now. A front sensor makes sense. I'm only lowered 1" but it's just low enough to hit a curb or parking block if I'm not paying attention. I may need to look into this. Thanks for sharing your impressions Bucko.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
ive considered getting one. i can judge distances for the most part pretty well under normal conditions but if i lower it, im definately going to invest. like someone said, id much rather have a backup sensor though. idk if its just me, but my rear window likes to hold water during and after a good rain and i cant see anything out of it.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
ive considered getting one. i can judge distances for the most part pretty well under normal conditions but if i lower it, im definately going to invest. like someone said, id much rather have a backup sensor though. idk if its just me, but my rear window likes to hold water during and after a good rain and i cant see anything out of it.
Rain x :p
Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
lol. even after i clean them, it still holds water. i'll try some rain x though.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Bucko, which one and where did you get it?
Thanks
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
How hard was this to wire up. What power supply did you tie into?
SunsetGoldGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I just bought the Roush front splitter for my car and plan on getting the sensor kit from American Muscle. Tadi Bros have some similar models, but I think I will stick with AM.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Bucko, which one and where did you get it?
Thanks
It's called Curb Alert. American Muscle sells them, as others. I bought mine off of Ebay, and got it $50.00 less than it's average price of $159.00.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetGoldGT View Post
How hard was this to wire up. What power supply did you tie into?
Very easy to wire up. The only two wires you have to contend with are the power and ground. I simply installed an inline fuse to it's power lead and connected that to the battery, and the ground went to a wire next to the battery. The "beep" box that mounds under the dash has a male connector that plugs into the brain box (mounted this against the passenger side strut tower) and the infra red sensor mounts under the spoiler and also has a connector that plugs into the brain box.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Thanks!
SunsetGoldGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
This seems like a great idea. While I'm careful while driving sometimes you just aren't paying 100% attention when you need to be and $h!t happens!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion