Axelback exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Axelback exhaust

Eh guys... Since it's christmas and prices are right. Considering my first bolt on mid for my 2014 v6. I'm looking at axelback exhausts. I've read the forums and searched YouTube videos. I believe I've narrowed it down to magnaflow streets (although I can't seem to find 2014 versions), flow master 2 (on sale right now at cj for a nice price), and roush... What I want is what most want... That deep intimidating growl that makes it sound like a v8 with no drone or rasp... I really dislike those snap pop crackle sounds after a high rev that some axelback videos have. Don't want my car to turn into a rice mobile... So I'm looking for suggestions and videos... Thanks for the help guys and gals
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
What I want is what most want... That deep intimidating growl that makes it sound like a v8 with no drone or rasp... I really dislike those snap pop crackle sounds after a high rev that some axelback videos have. Don't want my car to turn into a rice mobile...
Sorry, you're going to hate me saying this but you aren't going to find a V6 on the planet that sounds like a V8. So the first thing you need is to get that out of your head. It's impossible. Especially if all you are doing is an axle-back. And the crackle and pops you hear during deceleration is not rice. A lot of V8s with aftermarket exhausts crackle too. Hell, I was sitting at a light the other day and a Porsche went by and I heard it's exhaust crack.

Now that you are aware that a V6 with an aftermarket exhaust is always "just" going to sound like a badass V6 and that crackling is something you're gonna deal with if you are swapping your axle backs, let's get down to choices.

The Roush - I've heard issues with it. I've heard things about rusting, welds coming loose, and some complaints that the V6 Roush sounds unusually high pitched at high RPMs.

Don't know much about the Magnaflow and Flowmaster beyond what you can gather by watching YouTube (which is a terrible judge of exhaust sound). But, I've never heard quality issues with them. I'm sure you could go with these choices and be reasonably happy with either.

I have Bassanis. They have a very low bass tone at idle and when you open it up at 3000+RPMs it sounds loud and muscular. They do crackle when you rev it in neutral but never while driving. No complaints other than having a louder exhaust is going to make things in the cabin rattle/vibrate. I'll try and get an exhaust clip of mine if I can.
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, here's mine. Completely stock except for the Bassani Axle-Backs.
Attached Files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A V6 wont sound like a V8 ever. However there is a Christmas...they sound like great formula GTs...

The Ford Sport axle backs are Borla Stingers with Ford special racing tips that have the ford racing logo; I even had a borla hat in the box with mine. I had mine installed by the dealer, and techs that work there are in our Mustang club. They installed flowmasters on a 5.0 one day while I had my oil changed, and the guy said my V6 Stingers still sounded better. YouTube didnt do me justice when I shopped for sound, I had to go to car shows over my tri-state area.

When Ford tech tell you have great sound and you know it, you can't go wrong; Ford Racing Sports axel backs. I had my dealer install for no issues on rear end noises later on, so being covered in my extended warrantee. Dealer can be your friend if you have the right one.

If you use the plain open "loud" systems , they will sound like [enter choice here]

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

As Art implies, here cheaper is not better. Pypes might sound like a bargain as they're some of the cheapest axle-backs around, but you get what you pay for. The Ford Racing axle-backs will set you back $800, but if you've got the green...
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have roush and if you like obnoxious loud they sound great. As for the welds, being a welder that's the first thing I checked right out of the box and I tell you they are welded good. A tiny bit of spatter but the welds are nice and hot so no worrying about them cracking. I did notice after almost a year and one Canadian winter with them that they have a couple of rust dots on them. The fit was excellent and lined up perfectly. For under $500 they are an excellent purchase, but be warned they are LOUD! If you plan on doing a full exhaust, Lt , catted or off road in the future they will be just way to loud and raspy. As stand alone axelbacks with stock exhaust they are awesome!! Hope this helps.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Got Pypes put on today. Love the sound but the fitment does suck.
Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats! Its amazing what just axelbacks can do to a car no matter what you put on! By far my most noticeable mod! But I'm going Lt s and off road x when my car comes out from storage and my roush will be coming off.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I say go for borla stingers. I have em and absolutely love them.
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There's a guy on YouTube that has a set up I'm going for. Bbk Lt s off road x and borla touring I believe. Sweet music!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I was torn between the MBRP and Borla axle backs until I looked at some close up pictures of the welds and the quality of the overall products. Borla sold me on that alone and then I read their story and development patents on their FAQ page. I learned more about exhaust system technology from Borla than any other manufacturer. No matter what exhaust system you're considering, you should read the info at the following link:

www.borla.com/support/faqs

Great education on exhaust system technology and how sound vibrations are controlled. Check it out, really good stuff. Now I know why they cost what they do and I totally get it. I went with the Borla S-type (Stingers). You get what you pay for, just my 2 cents.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the posts so far guys. I'll look into the borla and bassanis, any other suggestions and or videos would be appreciated. Also, is there any performance gain off of just simple aftermarket axelbacks?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
No performance gains from an axleback. You only see gains from a catback. American Muscle will show you on the items page if it gives you a gain.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
No performance gains from an axleback. You only see gains from a catback. American Muscle will show you on the items page if it gives you a gain.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I figured it was only for looked and sound... Keep the info coming on experiences. Learned more from this thread than anything else I've looked at
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah well true a straight 6 will never sound like a V8 but my stock V6 sounds much better than my 65 289 2v V8 did.
It won't sound like today's GT though. However at idle there's not much difference. So with some nice Magnaflow streets you're going to be just fine.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Borla Touring exhaust. Here is a little video, a few years old, but you'll get a good feel for the Borla's. I also added an afe CAI with a Bama tuner. All together they do the job.

Gmcnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Sorry, you're going to hate me saying this but you aren't going to find a V6 on the planet that sounds like a V8. So the first thing you need is to get that out of your head. It's impossible. Especially if all you are doing is an axle-back. And the crackle and pops you hear during deceleration is not rice. A lot of V8s with aftermarket exhausts crackle too. Hell, I was sitting at a light the other day and a Porsche went by and I heard it's exhaust crack. Now that you are aware that a V6 with an aftermarket exhaust is always "just" going to sound like a badass V6 and that crackling is something you're gonna deal with if you are swapping your axle backs, let's get down to choices. The Roush - I've heard issues with it. I've heard things about rusting, welds coming loose, and some complaints that the V6 Roush sounds unusually high pitched at high RPMs. Don't know much about the Magnaflow and Flowmaster beyond what you can gather by watching YouTube (which is a terrible judge of exhaust sound). But, I've never heard quality issues with them. I'm sure you could go with these choices and be reasonably happy with either. I have Bassanis. They have a very low bass tone at idle and when you open it up at 3000+RPMs it sounds loud and muscular. They do crackle when you rev it in neutral but never while driving. No complaints other than having a louder exhaust is going to make things in the cabin rattle/vibrate. I'll try and get an exhaust clip of mine if I can.
Thanks for your in depth reply... Really appreciate it and didn't know half the things you stated. Seems like everybody has there favourites haha
Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Thanks for your in depth reply... Really appreciate it and didn't know half the things you stated. Seems like everybody has there favourites haha
You're welcome! Good luck with your choice!

Between Ford Racing, Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster, I doubt you could go wrong, honestly. They're all big names in the exhaust world and all sound pretty good with their major differences being loudness and pitch.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
You're welcome! Good luck with your choice! Between Ford Racing, Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster, I doubt you could go wrong, honestly. They're all big names in the exhaust world and all sound pretty good with their major differences being loudness and pitch.
Thanks! The only thing that's frustrating is being in canada... Unable to go to a meet to see how they sound on mustangs and... That YouTube videos clearly don't sound the same in person lol

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Also if anybody finds good seals for Boxing Day let me know! A steal of a price would be nice too!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hi Sportsman

You are on the right track when thinking Magnaflow Streets. I have them and they are really a good sound. A nice deep rumble and not an obnoxious annoying drone filled noise that will get old fast.
My car is a 2012 V6 and Magnaflow makes direct axle-back bolt on's for the 2011 & 2012 but with a 2013 or 2014 you will have to get the cat-back system to install easily without any fitting problems. Ford changed something on the 2013 / 2014 that does not allow direct axle-back only installment without modifications. Some on this forum have installed them so maybe they can chime in on what needs to be done. You can probably call American Muscle and get information.
The Magnaflow streets are really great sounding mufflers with no high pitch or drone at all. The quality is outstanding as they are completely stainless steel and have perfect looking large rolled tips.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Nice license plate Ronnie
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Cat back exhausts are designed for upgrades that focus on power adders like nitrous or supercharging. In these cases they add more power than just headers do. If you can afford them, CORSA makes the finest mufflers. Quiet at idle and slow speeds, no drone on the highway but loud under acceleration. Most boost applications use this muffler, they don't rob power.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #23

Region: South Carolina
Roush axlebacks with 18" Magnapacks. You're welcome
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion