Opinions about taking off cats - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
The post asked for opinions. I gave him mine. You may not agree. Deal with it.
Removing the cats will only cause an issue with the PCM if you do not have a tuner. Having a tuner solves all the issues with the PCM when it comes to the removal of the cats. I certainly welcome your opinion and you feel removal of the cats have little to no power improvements. Track runs, dyno runs and first hand drivers knowledge of having an o/r x pipe show different than your opinion. But, thank you for your input.

Now, to my fellow OP bro and procharger 3.7 king, off road x pipe is totally worth it and a must do. Sweet HP and Torque gains.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Takin off cats off a car makes it sound like ****. Or like it has an exhaust leak IMO
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Haha much love Kona! I just got fully forged and I'm trying to I squeeze out as much hp as possible before I go more boost.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
Haha much love Kona! I just got fully forged and I'm trying to I squeeze out as much hp as possible before I go more boost.
Darn you 13stang. Fully forged. Lmao. I'm so envious. Lol. If emissions testing is going to be a yearly or bi yearly issue for you, then the high flowing catted x pipe may be a better choice. Its my understanding and just from what others have posted on the mustang forums, the catted makes close to what the off road x pipe makes in HP gains. I believe another member who went to the dark side, Charlie Santos (just kidding, mad love for him) had catted and buddy of his had off road X pipe, both same set up and 3.7. The off road x pipe made more HP but only by 4 or 5 rwhp so it was relayed.

Personally, I love how my 3.7 sounds with the off road x pipe but that's just personal preference and its sweet music too my ears.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Kona I remember hearing your exhaust from a video you posted awhile back on here and it sounded very nice. That's one of the reasons why I'm considering it. I honestly like yours more than mine. Mine sounds mean and aggressive as hell but it's very nascar. Don't get me wrong I like it but a little bit more deepness would be nice
Old 12-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Kona I remember hearing your exhaust from a video you posted awhile back on here and it sounded very nice. That's one of the reasons why I'm considering it. I honestly like yours more than mine. Mine sounds mean and aggressive as hell but it's very nascar. Don't get me wrong I like it but a little bit more deepness would be nice
Thanks bro. I do have long tubes so I'm not sure if you having shorties will get a similar sound or not. You may , I'm just not familiar with the sound of shorties with off road pipe.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I have both actually. I have longtubes with a shorty catted x pipe sitting in my garage. I have been thinking about switching them out for fun. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Shorties I bet will sound good. What's your axleback? I forgot. Pipes?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have both actually. I have longtubes with a shorty catted x pipe sitting in my garage. I have been thinking about switching them out for fun. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Shorties I bet will sound good. What's your axleback? I forgot. Pipes?
I have the Flowmaster Force II axle backs. No doubt, shorties will sound amazing
Old 12-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

So you have longtubes off-road x pipe and flows force II. Anything else like resonators?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #45
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Something to read

Click on this> Removing Catalytic Converter

Another thing just in case you missed it:
Click here
http://www.importtuner.com/features/...al/index1.html

Installing hi performance cats is the best way to go.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Click on this> Removing Catalytic Converter

Another thing just in case you missed it:
Click here
Catalytic Converter Removal - Beat the Law - Import Tuner Magazine

Installing hi performance cats is the best way to go.
Ronnie
This article just confirmed the 15 hp gain theory. Thx.
150 whp (their Honda) gained 5-6 going from oem to high flow then test pipe. My gt pulls 400 whp...math says 16 hp gain by removing cats. Their test shows a 4% gain.
Troy

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Also, forgot to mention. I have never once in my roughly 30 years of modding cars, have ever heard of anyone getting pulled over and receiving a ticket for missing cats. Not talking about annual emissions testing facilities of course. I have heard of only one guy that got pulled over and got a ticket for loud exhaust. Cop never looked for cats.
I had Hi flow Kooks on my GTO only because my speed shop through them in for free when I bought all my other goodies.
Troy
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off

This article just confirmed the 15 hp gain theory. Thx.
150 whp (their Honda) gained 5-6 going from oem to high flow then test pipe. My gt pulls 400 whp...math says 16 hp gain by removing cats. Their test shows a 4% gain.
Troy

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Also, forgot to mention. I have never once in my roughly 30 years of modding cars, have ever heard of anyone getting pulled over and receiving a ticket for missing cats. Not talking about annual emissions testing facilities of course. I have heard of only one guy that got pulled over and got a ticket for loud exhaust. Cop never looked for cats.
I had Hi flow Kooks on my GTO only because my speed shop through them in for free when I bought all my other goodies.
Troy
Yes because gains are completely linear with absolutely no deviation. You must really enjoy adding all those numbers together for your hp total. Dynosheet for 400whp claim?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you have longtubes off-road x pipe and flows force II. Anything else like resonators?
Oh yeah, I have two glass pack resonators welded on. Lol
Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Yes because gains are completely linear with absolutely no deviation. You must really enjoy adding all those numbers together for your hp total. Dynosheet for 400whp claim?
Not linear, but a percentage. I never claimed to add each hp number together to come up with a total. But thanks for checkin boss.
I c why u have 20k posts...
Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	142951  
Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I only have one cat under my car. Don't know how he get there, but I don't think it could smell any worse.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Also I wonder if all these race cars know they are missing out by not running cats. I bet they didn't do their research.
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Merican5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion