Opinions about taking off cats - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Opinions about taking off cats

I have shorty headers catted x pipe and borla atak exhaust and it sounds fine but I was wanting more power and was thinking about taking off my cats. I am aware this will improve power but I'm not sure what my exhaust wil sound like. I have searched here and YouTube and couldn't find anything helpful. I need opinions and experience. Thanks
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not sure about a six, but on my GT, its fn loud as hell. A good loud, but loud! Like Nascar loud at wot!!
Troy
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Won't removing the cats throw a sensor warning? What would you do with the o2 sensor.
Tvan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

a tune will take care of that. I'm worried about maybe the loss of low end torque and sound
Old 12-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have Borla stingers with Catless h pipe. The power is there for sure, but the sound is insane. Very loud and aggressive.

At times (like part throttle) it sounds like a robot being stabbed to death lol. And other times it sounds like a Lamborghini the sound gets a lot less tame, more unrefined and aggressive.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

got any videos?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I posted one in my first post. Here's one from far away. My car is at the bottom of the mountain, that moving silver thing lol
Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Did you notice a loss in low end power?
Old 12-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I didn't loose any power at all when I went to o/r midpipes in either my old gt or my Mach 1. The sound increase is pretty dramatic. If you can, I'd say go catless, if it's a hassle, keep them. I always recommend the H pipe if you want that deep tone, X for a raspier tone. Either way you won't loose any noticeable power and you will pick up power up top.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I have shorty headers catted x pipe and borla atak exhaust and it sounds fine but I was wanting more power and was thinking about taking off my cats. I am aware this will improve power but I'm not sure what my exhaust wil sound like. I have searched here and YouTube and couldn't find anything helpful. I need opinions and experience. Thanks
Please review posting rules for our tech section before making a new thread. Moved to GMD.

IMPORTANT :New Tech section rules. Please read before posting.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I have off road x pipe with long tube headers. I got rid of my cats and love the sound. Its loud, agressive loud and great rumble. I will put together a video of my exhaust sound but I do have the long tubes not shorties. You will gain a good amount of hp and torque by removing the cats. Free up a bunch of power thats bogged down by those cats. You will definetly smell your fuel and exhaust with your cats removed.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
would high flow cats offer up the same gains while keeping the odors down?
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
would high flow cats offer up the same gains while keeping the odors down?
Nope.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Break Federal law. Give the authority's a reason to impound your vehicle. Removing Catalytic converters is not going to help performance at all. The factory has 600HP engines with cats. Da?
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Federal law implies

Remove the cats and if caught you are going to wish you had not done it. The law is pretty strict about it and will fine you big time.

Most company's do sell high performance cats that will give you more HP and keep you from having your car impounded and huge fine if caught with no cat's.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Removing Catalytic converters is not going to help performance at all.
That's simply not true. I picked up very close to 3/10 removing my cats.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have a high flow cats. how do those compare to catless? like is there a big difference? I am aware of the consequences.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22
I have a high flow cats. how do those compare to catless? like is there a big difference? I am aware of the consequences.
No.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

so it's not worth taking off my cats purely for performance in your opinion?
Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You will not notice a difference at all

You won't be able to notice any difference at all just normal driving on the street. Now, If you drag race like "Grabber Blue 5,0 "you may notice a little better time or you may not. He said he did. The 3/10's he did pick up taking the cats off would probably be the same if he replaced the standard cats with High Flow performance cats. I don't think it is ever worth removing the cats on a street car. It's not worth the chance you take if stopped by a policemen or policewoman that actually is doing his or her job.

If you take the cats off and ever trade or sell the car you better put them back on or you will see trouble you never dreamed of. There are some real horror stories on this as well as other forums regarding that.

Here is a good artical on cats and performance"
http://www.importtuner.com/features/...al/index1.html

Ronnie
Old 12-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

There is a reason the CATS are the diameter that they are. Notice they are about 3 times the diameter of the exhaust pipe. They actually flow more than your pipe does. The ceramic media inside the CAT is a honeycomb composite, impregnated with a high cost element that can easily operate for several hundred thousand miles. It can clog up, usually due to some abusive behavior. Like the wrong fuel or exhaust temperature. Again, they do not cause any loss of performance. No legitimate documented proof of this exists. Anyone claiming different hasn't worked in the industry and is speaking with ignorance. Without CATs your Mustang would be history and high performance would be a memory.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm with Back 12 on this one

100%

Ronnie
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is a reason the CATS are the diameter that they are. Notice they are about 3 times the diameter of the exhaust pipe. They actually flow more than your pipe does. The ceramic media inside the CAT is a honeycomb composite, impregnated with a high cost element that can easily operate for several hundred thousand miles. It can clog up, usually due to some abusive behavior. Like the wrong fuel or exhaust temperature. Again, they do not cause any loss of performance. No legitimate documented proof of this exists. Anyone claiming different hasn't worked in the industry and is speaking with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
That's simply not true. I picked up very close to 3/10 removing my cats.
I guess you chose to ignore me and really what many have found in testing. Doesn't surprise me though as you probably haven't actually done any real world testing of your own.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I guess you chose to ignore me and really what many have found in testing. Doesn't surprise me though as you probably haven't actually done any real world testing of your own.
+11. Going with an O/R Mid Pipe will increase your over all performance!.. And most especially with a Tune!.. Been Cat-less on both my '96 Monte-Carlo Z34 and '04 Mustang GT sense 1998 respectively!.. Both cars showed an overall improvement in performance, more so with the Mustang!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Lol Black12 has been known to go off on tangents that don't make sense. He thinks him cutting out the little air dam in the air inlet gave him 3mph in the 1/4 mile, but at the same time believes CAI are completely useless as well as any bolt on mods In general are completely useless. He also keeps eluding to having a Job in the industry but doesn't understand basic things like emissions regulations that obviously suck power from an engine.

Leave him be. It's hard to talk to him hahaha.

Catless midpipe does not make your car perform worse. I don't know how anyone can possibly think that. Look inside of a stock cat and you will wonder how the hell any air gets through at all. Out cats are even worse because they are right up against the engine, right after the header. I noticed a huge increase in top end pull in gears 2 and 3. Low end was not at all compromised from what I can tell. With the 4.10 gears I just put in it will be a fun ride! I'm getting my car back tomorrow
Old 12-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny how back in the day you used to have to add parts to go faster. When I had my diesel me and my buddy were talking about how now days you have to take crap off to go faster. With all the emission stuff on cars now it's amazing how they can even still run. On cars it's not as big of a deal as with trucks. When I drove trucks in California, all the emissions they make rigs run with now just hurt the motor when you're hauling 80k lbs. Unless you live in an emissions controlled state I say go for it. It might now be much, but I am sure you will see some. Somebody with the means of doing so, should do a dyno run with stock exhaust and then one with a cat delete and just see how much there is in it.
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Merican5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merican5.0 View Post
Somebody with the means of doing so, should do a dyno run with stock exhaust and then one with a cat delete and just see how much there is in it.
It's been done and it's around 15 horsepower.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's been done and it's around 15 horsepower.
So there you go. 15 hp by taking them out. Pretty good hp to money spent ratio if you ask me.
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Taking the cats off makes a huge difference in power. The faster the engine pushes out cold air the more power a car makes. The cats bog down the cars power by not letting air flow out freely. Too say otherwise is just silly and misguided info. It makes a very noticeable difference in acceleration and sound. Do it, if you can.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Believe and do what you like. As a member of Ford management I'm just trying to advise you to save you money and grief. Those of us in powertrain are no match for the internet engineers. For those that see things otherwise, the cats are located in the exact placement necessary to run your equipment properly as a balanced system. Your ECM / fuel delivery will definitely be effected. Even a change in back pressure will induce ECM changes. But, you knew all that already. Sorry.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Believe and do what you like. As a member of Ford management I'm just trying to advise you to save you money and grief. Those of us in powertrain are no match for the internet engineers. For those that see things otherwise, the cats are located in the exact placement necessary to run your equipment properly as a balanced system. Your ECM / fuel delivery will definitely be effected. Even a change in back pressure will induce ECM changes. But, you knew all that already. Sorry.

Lol your a "member of ford management" huh? What does that even mean? That has no sort of title to it, you just put together three words. No such work title exists "member of ford management" lol.

Anyone can say they are anything over the Internet.

Emissions regulations inhibit max hp from an engine from the factory. It's not about it being "a perfect system" or whatever bs you say. If your to stubborn to understand that and your "a member of ford management" than your a lost cause.

Obviously you need a tune when doing a change to the exhaust like taking off the cats. My car would destroy a stock 2013 v6 and I know that because I raced one at the track and ran a 8.6 @84 mph to that cars 9.4@78 mph and I had shorty headers a tune and a CAI that was the difference. The 60" was 2.2 for both of us. That's FACT.

Lol "member of ford management" Okay buddy.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

How does high flow cats compare to no cats though in terms hp? I don't have stock cats. Those were horrible. Lol
Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As a member of Ford management I'm just trying to advise you to save you money and grief. Those of us in powertrain are no match for the internet engineers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cares.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	142886  
Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

The post asked for opinions. I gave him mine. You may not agree. Deal with it.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

As a member of this site, I say that the cats are useless except for emissions. Get rid of them and tune. Why you ask? Because race car

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion