2004 Premium Gt question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2004 Premium Gt question

hey guys so last Friday I was in an accident with my 99 3.8l v6. I've been looking around for a new car and recently came across an 04 Gt. I went and looked at it because it's seriously underpriced at around $4200 negotiable, with 100k Miles. I went to go look at it and I popped open the hood and noticed the wheel well was missing. they replaced the fender bc it was hit on the passengers side. so it has no air filter on the air intake anymore either. I check the oil and it is murky/white but not foamy. the car has been sitting for around 2 years supposedly. now worst case scenario I'm thinking it could be the head gasket leaking. or it could just be condensation in the oil because it's been sitting for so long. do you guys think it could be the head gasket or just condensation. what would you guys think? if it's just condensation the car would be a steal if I can get it for $3500-4k. the car is overall pretty clean as well. here are a few pics:

I notice it is uploading them upside down for some reason. probably bc I am on my phone. sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1388181538328.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	142966   Click image for larger version

Name:	1388181548486.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	142967  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1388181557444.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	142968  
richg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hmmmm if its been sitting for that long its gonna need all the fluids changed, and flushed out. I dunno man, from all you've said I assume you haven't heard it run, I'd pass on it. Even if you get it for 1500, it looks to be a big project and one you probably wouldn't enjoy. Even if you do get it started, because it sat for so long, I guarantee things are going to start going bad on it. It will add up.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but take the money you were gonna use and either do a down payment on a newer one, or wait until you find a better condition new edge. This car just makes me nervous.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Got any more info on this car?.. Such as more pics, or a link to the site the individual is selling this car through?.. Just some thing doesn't look/feel right about it!.. Just my opinion!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Got any more info on this car?.. Such as more pics, or a link to the site the individual is selling this car through?.. Just some thing doesn't look/feel right about it!.. Just my opinion!..
the page is misleading, has no real info on the car haha so no need for it.

haha I know something doesn't feel right but the car looks good from what I can tell.

the guy is also Ecuadorian, like full on Spanish so I don't think he knows what the car is worth haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I don't get a warm fuzzy about this car!.. I would hold on to your hard earned cash and look for some thing not so questionable!..

Does it list any mods done to the car?..
Old 12-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

nope I looked at it tho.. seems to have flow masters and make a high performance clutch in it. clutch & shifter is like a hot knife thru butter when shifting as well. sounds beautiful. brakes are a hit rusty but that's just tlc. only problem may be a heads gasket leak or its just condensation! I may pick it up. If I can get it for $3.8k or somewhere around that I think it'll be a steal

Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by richg93 View Post
nope I looked at it tho.. seems to have flow masters and make a high performance clutch in it. clutch & shifter is like a hot knife thru butter when shifting as well. sounds beautiful. brakes are a hit rusty but that's just tlc. only problem may be a heads gasket leak or its just condensation! I may pick it up. If I can get it for $3.8k or somewhere around that I think it'll be a steal

So you have started it and driven it.... Do a compression check on the cylinders or a leak down test to determine if the gaskets are bad.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
So you have started it and driven it.... Do a compression check on the cylinders or a leak down test to determine if the gaskets are bad.
good idea, thanks.

can anyone identify this color orange?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg93

good idea, thanks.

Competition orange
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
good idea, thanks.

It looks like competition orange paint color code is CY
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange View Post
It looks like competition orange paint color code is CY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Competition orange
that's what I was thinking but it's not really a dark orange, it's actually pretty bright. but I will check the paint code next time thanks

Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just check the obvious .. If door jams or engine bay matches the exterior paint.

Looks like aftermarket because mirrors and hood grille is painted.

If the oil has water and is milky than oil has water in it.

Best bet is the buy oil and do a oil change and inspect the drained oil for water .. It's pretty obvious..
Or drive it for a good 15 min and watch the temp gauge.
Check radiator resv. Too for rusty water

2 years is a long time to sit ..
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Just check the obvious .. If door jams or engine bay matches the exterior paint.

Looks like aftermarket because mirrors and hood grille is painted.

If the oil has water and is milky than oil has water in it.

Best bet is the buy oil and do a oil change and inspect the drained oil for water .. It's pretty obvious..
Or drive it for a good 15 min and watch the temp gauge.
Check radiator resv. Too for rusty water

2 years is a long time to sit ..
yeah when/if pick it up, I'll do an oil change asap. door doesn't jam and it does match engine bay paint I believe if I recall correctly. it has a new radiator so I'm not worried about that really, as well

Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Hmmmm if its been sitting for that long its gonna need all the fluids changed, and flushed out. I dunno man, from all you've said I assume you haven't heard it run, I'd pass on it. Even if you get it for 1500, it looks to be a big project and one you probably wouldn't enjoy. Even if you do get it started, because it sat for so long, I guarantee things are going to start going bad on it. It will add up.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but take the money you were gonna use and either do a down payment on a newer one, or wait until you find a better condition new edge. This car just makes me nervous.
+1 I have a bad vibe from it... Cars you try to "score" on seem to backfire on a lot of people and you end up spending more than you could have bought a better one for...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well it started right up, no clicking or clanking, synchro was great, clutch was great, had a new radiator and other parts, clean fluids I check the accessible ones. it was low on brake fluid and power steering. only thing that scared me was the watery oil, but I believe that was just condensation & not a head gasket leak. I'll do a compression test as well next time I take a look at it.

the guy is from Ecuador and it's his brothers car but he moved back to Ecuador and now the guy selling is strapped for money bc his brothers two cars have been sitting and he has to pay expensive parking there so he's selling the car. he doesn't really know what the car is worth I'm guessing.

the car was hit on the passenger side he said but it was fixed and body work was done new panels and lights & such. the airbag light is on since they never got that fixed but the airbags were professionally put back it as far as I could tell.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I say walk away!!! The light for the airbag should not be on if it was fixed professionally!..
Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I gotcha. I'd definitely Carfax it too. It very well could be condensation, change the oil before you buy it. Check the old oil, and take it for a spirited drive. Assuming the compression test comes back good.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I say walk away!!! The light for the airbag should not be on if it was fixed professionally!..
i don't know for sure if it was done professionally, but the panels are back perfectly. Which I think only professionals could do. or since the brother was in a body shop for work they just did a quick job there and never got the computer retuned for it

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:
I gotcha. I'd definitely Carfax it too. It very well could be condensation, change the oil before you buy it. Check the old oil, and take it for a spirited drive. Assuming the compression test comes back good.
yeah I'll definately change the oil and take it for a real drive to see how it performs

Old 12-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i don't know for sure if it was done professionally, but the panels are back perfectly. Which I think only professionals could do. or since the brother was in a body shop for work they just did a quick job there and never got the computer retuned for it

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

yeah I'll definately change the oil and take it for a real drive to see how it performs

I would also like to throw in a friendly "Don't believe people that are trying to sell you their car" statement.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Carfax doesn't always get information about accidents. The current owner may have not had full coverage, so if he hit something, he would be responsible for the costs of the repairs.

It sounds like he just pieced this car back together so sell it.

WALK AWAY FROM THIS ONE!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I would also like to throw in a friendly "Don't believe people that are trying to sell you their car" statement.
+11. Get the car completely looked at by a shop!.. Also if the car was in a accident and the airbags deployed, if they where not replaced professionally by a shop, insurance will not cover you!.. Seeing as you seem to be dead set on getting this car, get proof that the airbags were reinstalled by a shop!..
Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Carfax doesn't always get information about accidents. The current owner may have not had full coverage, so if he hit something, he would be responsible for the costs of the repairs.

It sounds like he just pieced this car back together so sell it.

WALK AWAY FROM THIS ONE!
Well you do have a point, but its still a good idea to spend a few bucks on that rather than end up with a lemon. Plus like the OP said if airbags were professionally installed, So unless everything was done under the table (possible but chances are small), its more than likely going to have it on the report. And with that being said, ask the seller for documentation on the repairs

And I agree with passing on it lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Walk away. Sounds like a bs sob story from owner. Don't trust them. Watery oil? Just think of worst case how much you would have to spend to make it right. New motor, body work etc. if you get it. Best of luck to you.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Alright guys, so i grabbed the car. everything is pretty much well, great! the only thing really "wrong" with the car is it is missing the air intake filter and arm (leading into fender area) off the stock cai. the bumper needs to get painted to match the comp orange i think as well. all in all, its was a price i could refuse, (im 20, and paid 3.9k for it).

the only other thing is that the motor is pretty dirty, as in dusty and what not. how would i go about cleaning it? any tips would be helpful, thanks!

here are some more pics:
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright guys, so i grabbed the car. everything is pretty much well, great! the only thing really "wrong" with the car is it is missing the air intake filter and arm (leading into fender area) off the stock cai. the bumper needs to get painted to match the comp orange i think as well. all in all, its was a price i could refuse, (im 20, and paid 3.9k for it).

the only other thing is that the motor is pretty dirty, as in dusty and what not. how would i go about cleaning it? any tips would be helpful, thanks!

here are some more pics:

Good buy welcome to the comp orange club I'm kinda hating becuz I bought an 04 same color with a v6 with 113000 miles for 8000, I feel like I got over on now
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange View Post
Good buy welcome to the comp orange club I'm kinda hating becuz I bought an 04 same color with a v6 with 113000 miles for 8000, I feel like I got over on now
hehe, thanks man! I'm really liking this color. the car has 106k miles on it & well this guy really didn't understand the value of the car, so I kinda grabbed it right away before someone else could. I took a risk but the oil was just condensated and not a head gasket leak. the guy actually got new brakes for it before I picked it up, so that was pretty sweet too. I just want to buy a cai/tune & some other perf mods. I'm not sure with gear ratio of has. is there any way of finding out? or only up on a lift?

I had a 99 v6 before this and this things growls like no other with the flow masters on it. I'm loving it. I just have to change the oil asap, get some tlc new spark plugs, etc and it should be good to go!

Old 12-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hehe, thanks man! I'm really liking this color. the car has 106k miles on it & well this guy really didn't understand the value of the car, so I kinda grabbed it right away before someone else could. I took a risk but the oil was just condensated and not a head gasket leak. the guy actually got new brakes for it before I picked it up, so that was pretty sweet too. I just want to buy a cai/tune & some other perf mods. I'm not sure with gear ratio of has. is there any way of finding out? or only up on a lift?

I had a 99 v6 before this and this things growls like no other with the flow masters on it. I'm loving it. I just have to change the oil asap, get some tlc new spark plugs, etc and it should be good to go!

That's good man that was a great buy u came across, not really much u have to do to it maint wise but deff enjoy it it looks good
Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you're happy with it, even though some of us suggested you not get it before it was checked out, but that's all that matters. As you can tell, its a big difference from you're prior car!

As for the gears, it should be 3.27's from the factory. As for aftermarket, the only way to know for sure is to check the rear on a lift. They say depending on how many revolutions the drive shaft makes when the wheels are turned one rotation can indicate; but I forget the specifics.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad you're happy with it, even though some of us suggested you not get it before it was checked out, but that's all that matters. As you can tell, its a big difference from you're prior car!

As for the gears, it should be 3.27's from the factory. As for aftermarket, the only way to know for sure is to check the rear on a lift. They say depending on how many revolutions the drive shaft makes when the wheels are turned one rotation can indicate; but I forget the specifics.
yeah I had my father help look it over and he's been building and fixing cars/motorcycles and **** for ages. he said nothing was too wrong with it so I went for it and came out pretty lucky! I feel like I stole it but that's besides the point.

and oh yes it is a much different ride, power etc. I'm loving it.

as for the gears I will get them looked at and have to whole car professionally looked at as well. (my dad's a legit pro when working on cars but not a pro pro I'd say haha)

Old 12-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

And it wasn't a bad price by any means, especially with the miles; Its alittle under average (according to KBB )

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And it wasn't a bad price by any means, especially with the miles; Its alittle under average (according to KBB )
it's a premium as well. in my area (long Island NY) they're kbb value is at fair 7.1k-8.4k excellent condition. so I bought it for a nice couple grand off

Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah here in fl its around 6.5k, so still pretty decent

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it's a premium as well. in my area (long Island NY) they're kbb value is at fair 7.1k-8.4k excellent condition. so I bought it for a nice couple grand off Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Glad you love it and congrats on the purchase... Now pray it doesn't come back and bite you in the future.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Glad you love it and congrats on the purchase... Now pray it doesn't come back and bite you in the future.
I have a good feeling about it, but yes I will be praying no doubt

Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Congrats and good luck.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion