Carbon fiber driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Carbon fiber driveshaft

Anyone here install the carbon fiber driveshaft on their 3.7 yet? If so how does it feel?
Limes3578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My buddy had one on his old gt, he said he couldn't feel the difference between that and the aluminum one.
grabberbluedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm not one for being cheap, but it seems to me that it would be a waste of money. Especially considering the aluminum one might still be lighter and not to mention cheaper
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #4

Region: South Carolina
I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of that compared to aluminum but am curious to see what someone with it thinks
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is a hard one to decide on

After seeing a few million dollar stealth airplanes come apart and a few Italian supercars having problems. I don't believe I would put my trust into a Carbon Fiber driveshaft in the tong term. I personally will go for the one piece aluminum one that is tried and proven to hold up and is still lighter then the stock two piece on our sixers now.
I may be wrong about this but it is my personal opinion.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
It takes about 3 times the force to twist up and shatter a carbon fiber driveshaft than steel. I use aluminum. If for nothing else the very noticeable increase in mileage. The loss in rotating weight is also a priority, for later this spring.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess it depends on which company make it too !

I got this information from the driveshaft shop:
The Driveshaft Shop Blog – Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Shafts Explained

I called a few of my friends that pro-Drag race and they like them because if they do break (Which is very rare) they cause no damage at all. They just splinter. None of my friends use them on their street cars so they could not advise me on how they will perform in a few years. ( Carbon Fiber Bicycle frames are supposed to be good for only two or three years.)
This is a great subject and I'm happy you brought it up.
Ronnie
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think one thing that might be more of an issue with a carbon fiber driveshaft over a metal one for a street car is those little rocks and other crud that bounce around on the roads. Something bouncing into a carbon fiber driveshaft might chip or damage it in a way that might that might lead to premature failure whereas it would just cause a ding on a metal one.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
It takes about 3 times the force to twist up and shatter a carbon fiber driveshaft than steel. I use aluminum. If for nothing else the very noticeable increase in mileage. The loss in rotating weight is also a priority, for later this spring.
Curious. How much honest increase in mileage do u see? I hear some say this, but not sure how much gain.
Also, did u see better quarter times with this alone?
Lastly, any vibration at all?
Thx,
Troy
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Very good point from SpaceFish

I wonder if that would be a problem. Until we can find someone that actually has one and had it on for a year or two we will never know.
I know the Bicycles with carbon fiber frames are very strong and light but also have been known to break. Usually at the bar holding the seat due to stress.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion