2014 Mustang quality,reliability. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #1

Region: Massachusetts
2014 Mustang quality,reliability.

Thoughts on the 2014 model year of a Mustang. I'm in the market for one, but having heard a lot of bad about the tranny, I'm hesitant. I understand that all things mechanical can have their issues, I just want an honest opinion to help with my decision. As stated in my newbie post, I don't' own a Mustang but do own 2 other Fords. So far so good with their mechanical reliability. No major problems. I'd love to own a Mustang to toss in the stable with my Harley R/K so offer up some opinions. Thanks much and happy new year !
FreedomVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have only had my '14 for 2 months and 5k, but I have zero issues. The tranny issue is overratted I believe. Driving easy, it has a great feel. Drivin hard however, it misses gears and feels very sloppy. This is the shifter linkage, not the tranny. It is easy to upgrade to a better mount or shifter from about $150-400. The MGW ($400) that I bought is magnificant! Well worth it. There are a couple people that will mention their issues with a bad transmission, but I have never heard of anyone personally with a major issue with one. In fact, other than Chrysler in the '90s, never heard of major tranny problems from anyone.
I like the tranny itself.
The rest of the car is awesome. Best $35k around imho.
I have upgraded suspension, exhaust, and tune for better handling and times at the track. In stock form, it really is a beast.
Let us know when u pull the trigger! Don't test drive one until u r ready...u will buy it!
Troy
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I also have a stock base model v6 however. Have had. No problems at all. I also agree with an upgraded shifting aiding in the discrepancies pertaining to the tranny. Hard part is... If you search the tranny online you will mostly get people who are dissatisfied as people like me haven't posted what they thought. Goodluck on the purchases!
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have a 2014 I bought new in August with just over 5,000 miles on it.

The car has been great aside from the MT82. I am having legitimate issues with the transmission/clutch. I actually like how it shifts and haven't had issues with that.

My issues are the clutch pedal sticking to the floor during high rpm shifts and I simply cannot use 5th gear until the transmission is warmed up on colder days (below freezing).

Other than that, I enjoy the car.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've owned my 2014 V6 Base since September. No problems thus far. I have an auto, and it seemed to be doing this weird hesitation thing right after shifting into 3rd gear in Drive or Sport/Manual Shift Modes. I sent it in and am friends with the GM at my local Ford dealership. Sent it in around 2, then drove a loaner Focus home. Literally 3 hours later, I got a call saying that the phenomenon in 3rd gear was nothing to worry about. They said they had their senior tranny expert drive it around and found nothing wrong (but did notice what I was talking about). They decided to re-flash my ECU just to be sure.

Aside from that, build quality is good. Most surfaces in the interior that you come into contact with are soft-touch. The entire dashboard is soft-touch, so that's nice. My aftermarket exhaust does make things in the interior rattle. Most of the chrome bezels rattle under acceleration and so does something inside the driver's side door. It's annoying but not obnoxious. It's very slight and they don't rattle all the time (only when it's cold, it seems).
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Region: Massachusetts
Thanks for the help guys, my only concern would be about the MT82 and how its been worked on previous model years. I've heard of the the cold shift and clutch out problems. I'd love to have this as a daily driver and use my Explorer when the snow and ice get really bad. Any others care to chime in, otherwise I hope to be taking a test ride soon and request I drive one thats cold, from the lot. Take the normal warm-up time I'd use as if heading out from my driveway and put it to the test.
FreedomVet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2014 mustang