Oil change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Oil change

Can I get a oil change anywhere and get the record in my carfax? Or do I have to do it at a dealer?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Didn't know carfax shows oil changes...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes car fax shows maint. You can take your car anywhere that pulls your lic plate or vin that way it shows up

Old 12-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Make sure every time you vacuum it out you get that on the carfax too. And air in the tires...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah. And don't forget car washes and fill ups at the gas station...

Sent by smoke signal using the Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yeah. And don't forget car washes and fill ups at the gas station... Sent by smoke signal using the Mustang Evolution mobile app
Lol this thread won't last much longer
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Tell me if I'm wrong

I really don't think you need to do anything except keep your receipt that you had the oil change done at a shop or keep the receipt that you purchased the oil & filter if you change your own oil.
The dealer just can't label you as a crummy liar and say you never had the oil / filter changed and ruined your engine. Especially if you save your receipts.
It's good to keep a journal on what you do to your car and at what mileage anyway. When you go to sell it you can show the potential buyer the maintenance records and give them peace of mind on buying your car.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

If its a car you plan on selling in 2-3 years and plan on getting a $15-$20k price and want to stand out from the others, yeah keep a file folder of all your routine stuff. Even if you do your own oil (instead of trusting yahoos and high schoolers to do it) you can keep the receipts for the oil/filter.

And don't use a FRAM orange can of death filter whatever you do.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow

And don't use a FRAM orange can of death filter whatever you do.
+1
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey, Those orange china cheapo filters work good

The thing is:" You just change them every 100 miles"

Do not skimp on buying a good oil filter.
When I had my Vette I used Delco Filters
When I had my Mini Cooper JCW I used BMW/Mini filters
Now with my Mustang I just will use Ford Motorcraft filters.

I just am a firm believer in using a good oil filter. I know none of the car company's actually manufacture the filters but I do know they are made to very strict specifications and I'm sure their are other filters sold that are just as good but who knows for a fact "WHICH BRANDS" they are.

I did use PUROLATOR filters on my KW with a commins due to that is what Cummins recommended. They are probably one of the better brands for our Mustangs.
Ronnie
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Motorcraft filters are like $3, no idea why ppl would use anything but them for a budget filter. I personally use WIX (Napa) filters because they are $5 and the best filter for the money you can get. Just picking one up your instant reaction is "whoa heavy" and that's because its all metal construction inside. No plastic or cardboard in them.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I did some Google

I found out that Purolator make the Motorcraft filters for Ford to Ford specifications, They do run down a separate line and are inspected by Ford as well as Purolator inspectors.

I'll stick with Motorcraft but that does not mean that Mobil 1, Wix, or Royal purple are bad. They all are probably just as good or maybe even better if used for more miles.I change my oil and filter at 7,500 or 10,000 miles and know the Ford Motorcraft filter will be excellent and work well for that mileage.
Ronnie
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have used hundreds of the Fram orange filters over the years without a single filter failure or an oil related engine failure.
I'm just curious if any of you have ever had a problem with them or have y'all just been reading the internet rumours?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its not rumors, cut an orange death can open and cut a WIX can open and look for yourself. For me it started as interwebs rumors so I spent the $8 to compare the two since I used to use them too (sandpaper end makes it easier to take them off). Yeah, cardboard insides, plastic clips, VERY cheap/awful construction with glued tabs and the works.

And yeah 99.9999% of the time they will be OK, you will not have one fail most likely but you are not getting anywhere close to the filtration of a good filter. And this is a KNOWN thing, not just someone bashing them, they are called "orange cans of death" for a good reason. You'd be amazed at some of the backlash too, ppl defending these things like I insulted their mother. Lol, they are proven junk filters that will most likely get you by with no issues but when you can get a Motorcraft or Purolator FOR THE SAME PRICE that are tested to be much better filters I'm not sure why anyone would not. Hell, at Wal Mart you can get a 5 quart jug of Motorcraft oil for $17.99 and a Motorcraft filter for $2.50...

Edit: Hell look at this comparison, and its what I got when I cut the orange can open too. This is not a WIX, its a Honda but still.

And hell, just looking at the WIX vs the Fram from the outside...

Isn't even close which one is far, FAR superior.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

In 45 years of car ownership and hundreds of oil changes, most of them with Fram filters, never had a problem with them and all of my cars have been kept well past 100,000 miles.

There are specific SAE tests for filter efficiency, dirt capacity, anti flow back valve and bypass valve function. Fram passes if not excels at these standard tests. I'm not sure what sawing open a filter and just looking at it cab tell you that's relevant to what a filter is designed to do.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like I already said

The Fram is great if you change it every 100 miles

Ronnie
Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That's an apple and orange comparison Scotty...

I stopped using the orange filters years ago (about the time that I heard they were having trouble) but, I have an engine in my truck that has almost 400k on it and a good many of those miles were with an orange Fram. I've "upgraded" to the Tough Guard or Extended Guard... Something like that.
Man, there is a BIG difference between those Honda and Fram filters.
Go Japan! Lol.
I've been using a Bosch filter on my Mustang. It was the heaviest one at Walmart, and the most expensive.
When I bought the car it had one of those "one size fits many" quicky oil change place filters on it. It was the size of a large thimble! Those are the ones that I'd shy away from. Id like to cut one of those babies open, they probably have a piece of window screen inside as the filtering media.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I really don't think you need to do anything except keep your receipt that you had the oil change done at a shop or keep the receipt that you purchased the oil & filter if you change your own oil.
The dealer just can't label you as a crummy liar and say you never had the oil / filter changed and ruined your engine. Especially if you save your receipts.
It's good to keep a journal on what you do to your car and at what mileage anyway. When you go to sell it you can show the potential buyer the maintenance records and give them peace of mind on buying your car.
Ronnie
Good advice. For years, I've saved all maintenance records on my vehicles. That includes receipts for mod parts and so on. When I sell/trade a car or truck, the buyer gets a folder full of paperwork, to include the original window sticker and owner's manual. Ford does all my service work, so those documents are included as well.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I found out that Purolator make the Motorcraft filters for Ford to Ford specifications, They do run down a separate line and are inspected by Ford as well as Purolator inspectors.

I'll stick with Motorcraft but that does not mean that Mobil 1, Wix, or Royal purple are bad. They all are probably just as good or maybe even better if used for more miles.I change my oil and filter at 7,500 or 10,000 miles and know the Ford Motorcraft filter will be excellent and work well for that mileage.
Ronnie
I use Motorcraft oil and filters. My '01 Grand Marquis just rolled past 140k and has never been serviced with anything other than Motorcraft oil and filters. My new GT's first oil change was last week (at 3k) and Motorcraft was used for both oil and filter.

My 21hp Briggs is serviced with Motorcraft oil and filters as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00110.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	143485  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
I use Motorcraft oil and filters. My '01 Grand Marquis just rolled past 140k and has never been serviced with anything other than Motorcraft oil and filters. My new GT's first oil change was last week (at 3k) and Motorcraft was used for both oil and filter.

My 21hp Briggs is serviced with Motorcraft oil and filters as well...
What filter are you using on the B@S?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
What filter are you using on the B@S?
I would use an Ignore filter, but ME doesn't have one that I can find.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
I would use an Ignore filter, but ME doesn't have one that I can find.
What a shame...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion