Exhaust installation today! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Want to hear that video too! How you like em now?
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Exhaust installation today!

Way different then stock, it's great. Much deeper, and loudish when you step on the gas, and a deep rumble while cruising.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
I'd normally agree with that kind of statement, but let's be honest here; it's an axle back. If you can count the number of bolts needed to be removed and re tightened on your fingers,you probably don't need to see a professional. I'd wager that even an axle back isn't above the limits on an inexperienced wrench hand. You just need to take your time and follow the instructions. You can't make any huge mistakes with an axle back install.
^
Very true I just did mine. 1st exhaust install....very simple
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You need buy yourself a tool set and start doing installs by yourself. have your dad help you. It's great bonding time and helps you to get to know your car. Axle back install is a easy it's only two bolts and some hangers took me about 20 mins without instructions
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
He claims his dad wouldn't let him do it. Said his dad was afraid they'd scrape or something like that

Sent from my mobile device.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
He claims his dad wouldn't let him do it. Said his dad was afraid they'd scrape or something like that

I'm being serious, I wanted to do the install, but dad wanted the dealer to do it, he was slightly concerned that if we did it, the intermediate pipe would scrape the ground, but he mainly wanted the dealer to do it so that If anything happened, he could say they installed it...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I'm being serious, I wanted to do the install, but dad wanted the dealer to do it, he was slightly concerned that if we did it, the intermediate pipe would scrape the ground, but he mainly wanted the dealer to do it so that If anything happened, he could say they installed it...
Intermediate pipe? What the hell is that

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

That's what the video I watched said was the pipe right before the the muffler.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what the video I watched said was the pipe right before the the muffler.
How would that scrape the ground? It goes over the axle... Who cares if you scratch the pipe. Its not a show car and even if it was the don't get up under the car

3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post
How would that scrape the ground? It goes over the axle... Who cares if you scratch the pipe. Its not a show car and even if it was the don't get up under the car

That's exactly what I said, he said said that because he wanted the dealer to do it, well, 2 1/2 hours and $180 later, for something that could be done on 10-20 minutes at home.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly what I said, he said said that because he wanted the dealer to do it, well, 2 1/2 hours and $180 later, for something that could be done on 10-20 minutes at home.
Yeah my car is pretty low and I can still get back there and change them out. Now if you are doing a mid pipe I would probably pay someone now. I put my whole exhaust on on my old car and the mid pipe was a pain

3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #47
Road Trip!

Region: California
Who cares if he paid someone to install his exhaust it's his money not yours .... Just cause you own a Mustang doesn't make you a DIY 'ER or mechanically inclined ...to each his own ...
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #48

I installed my Full exhaust system with me and my buddy. BBK longtube headers, BBK off road midpipe, flowmaster catback. About to switch to Borla S types, and having an exhaust shop do that, but only because the piping is off and needs to be expanded to 3". The car is frickin loud with the outlaws, hence why I'm switching to Borla
5 pt ohGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing wrong with what you paid. If it installed correctly and you like it, enjoy it. Normal price for this area. Cheap maybe. Rates here are $90/hr. or more. Two guys working on it & it is what it is.
ENJOY!!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Exhaust installation today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
Nothing wrong with what you paid. If it installed correctly and you like it, enjoy it. Normal price for this area. Cheap maybe. Rates here are $90/hr. or more. Two guys working on it & it is what it is.
ENJOY!!

$90 an hour? Dang. Then I got it for less, 2 1/2 hours should have been about $245 then. I still think it should have been at most $90 though, it shouldn't have taken more than an hour. Either way, it's on, and I like it, sounds like a real muscle car now.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #51
Road Trip!

Removing the stock axle back is harder than installing most after markets....due to the heavy *** brick of a muffler and that one bolt on each side mounting bracket that is hard to get to because the stock bricks leave no room...this is all assuming you have no lift laying on your back in the driveway
Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
$90 an hour? Dang. Then I got it for less, 2 1/2 hours should have been about $245 then. I still think it should have been at most $90 though, it shouldn't have taken more than an hour. Either way, it's on, and I like it, sounds like a real muscle car now.
Flat rate is very different from actual work time. It probably took 2 1/2 hours cause the tech was busy with other cars. Once he got it in it probably took 10 minutes and he gets paid for an hour flat rate
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
removing the stock axle back doesn't require you to remove the bracket. One just needs to viualize how it went in there and move it the opposite way to take it out. All in all, it was under an hour on Jackstands and I was installing GT500s, which are every bit as big and bulky as the outgoing stockers. I trimmed about an inch off one of the hangers to make it a little easier to get in. One was ridiculously longer than needed.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #54
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
removing the stock axle back doesn't require you to remove the bracket. One just needs to viualize how it went in there and move it the opposite way to take it out. All in all, it was under an hour on Jackstands and I was installing GT500s, which are every bit as big and bulky as the outgoing stockers. I trimmed about an inch off one of the hangers to make it a little easier to get in. One was ridiculously longer than needed.

I couldn't manage to get em back on the hangers without removing the bracket closer to the intermediate pipe...
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

It's just a bit of mildly tricky 3d reasoning....and some silicone brake grease, hehe.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Good luck finding a a CAI for 180 bucks but....OMG, that's outrageous to install two axle backs. That's a maximum 1 hour job on a lift.

More reasons I teach kids to do it themselves.
Already done lol... $150 still in packaging. It was an Injen cai. I have an Arraid now...worst mistake. No difference in power that I can tell between that and the Injen intake...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Already done lol... $150 still in packaging. It was an Injen cai. I have an Arraid now...worst mistake. No difference in power that I can tell between that and the Injen intake... Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
For a new edge 4.6 I assume? A lot cheaper than a CAI for a new 5.0 litre
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Flag time is flag time. They shouldn't have flagged more than an hour on that kind of job. If the flag time is an hour and they take 2 days, you only pay for an hour. The dealer suggested I get the Roush axle-back before I left their lot and they said it would be about $550 for parts and labor. The exhaust is $460, so that's exactly one hour of labor, less if you go by stealership labor prices. I personally think the dealer screwed you out of $90. It took my uncle and I about 1 hour of not knowing wtf we were doing, and 45 mins of actual work to get it installed.

At least your dad is better than mine. Let me spend $750 on a 355 for my/his Camaro, then when it showed up at the door I wasn't allowed to keep the block "in his garage" or put it in "his car". When it broke, it was my car. When I wanted to change something on/in the car or go somewhere, it was his car.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

I'd normally agree with that kind of statement, but let's be honest here; it's an axle back. If you can count the number of bolts needed to be removed and re tightened on your fingers,you probably don't need to see a professional. I'd wager that even an axle back isn't above the limits on an inexperienced wrench hand. You just need to take your time and follow the instructions. You can't make any huge mistakes with an axle back install.
You realize who your talking about right?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I know how to do the install, but my parents wanted the dealer to do it.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Okay, okay, okay, he should have done it himself.

But, back to the matter at hand, you need to post a recording!
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Still no recording? Meh. Maybe it's a big...LIE. Haha.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
Still no recording? Meh. Maybe it's a big...LIE. Haha.

I haven't had time, I WILL have it tomorrow
Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Damn bro, really?

They temporarily closed it while deleting some posts.

We are all happy and friends now.
Carry on!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Come find some of us who are on other places too, its a big world out there

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Can't get the exhaust video to upload from my 4s
Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Can't get the exhaust video to upload from my 4s
Good. That gives you plenty of time to get a real sound clip with an actual camera.

I kid.

Kind of.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I did mine on my 5 and it didn't sound bad...ha.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I would have no problem paying if the fee wasn't ridiculous, and if I had a job, and I didn't want the dealer installation to begin with.
Bro u got nothing to complain about you drive a 2013 Gt. premium and you don't have a job. I would kill someone to have it as easy as you. Who are you billy Madison lol
Excretionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excretionx View Post
Bro u got nothing to complain about you drive a 2013 Gt. premium and you don't have a job. I would kill someone to have it as easy as you. Who are you billy Madison lol
Ha,

btw, i paid someone to install mine, $50 bucks and i thought that was a lot, i feel dumb for complaining after seeing $180 lol.
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust