Noob Questions about gears/tune (v6) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Noob Questions about gears/tune (v6)

Hi all. I was looking at some possible mods for my 2014 v6 mustang (auto) and wanted to get your opinions. She's mostly stock with only an airaid intake and FRRP axle-backs. I have heard a lot of good things about the gears + tune combos, but being relatively new to modding cars I am hesitant to make any changes to the drivetrain. The package i was looking at is the 3.73 gears/BAMA tuner on americanmuscle.

So my questions are:
1) Will upgrading the gears have any negative impact on the car?
2) How safe is the BAMA tune?
3) Does the above kit come with everything I need to install and go?

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Bama tunes are very safe, they are canned and tested on cars in their shop and while they won't get the absolute max out of your car they won't get to the edge of hurting it either.

As far as gears... I know that doing gears on the 5.0 will actually LOWER your performance but it might help the v6 out a lot more. I'd google around multiple places and see what others are doing/suggest.

Gears will have to be installed btw. Many shops overcharge for this because its one of the few things that the majority of ppl who wrench on their cars can't do or are afraid to do or just don't have the tools to do. It SHOULD be a $200-$300 job but I've been quoted as high as $700 just for the install. Last time I had gears done and did not buy a car that already came with the gears installed I had to try 4 different shops before I found someone who was not going to try to rip me off.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Noob Questions about gears/tune (v6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
Hi all. I was looking at some possible mods for my 2014 v6 mustang (auto) and wanted to get your opinions. She's mostly stock with only an airaid intake and FRRP axle-backs. I have heard a lot of good things about the gears + tune combos, but being relatively new to modding cars I am hesitant to make any changes to the drivetrain. The package i was looking at is the 3.73 gears/BAMA tuner on americanmuscle.

So my questions are:

The only real negative effect will be less highway mpg. Do you know what gears you have in there now? Also some people recommend going with4.10s when they have an auto but that is up to if you wanna look into that or not. I don't have any personal experience with bama but have heard a lot of great things about them. Not exactly sure what kit you are looking at but our goig to need the gears and the install kit that AM sells and of course the hand held tuner. When you do buy the tuner you will just have to tell bama you have and air raid intake and maybe they will want to know about the exhaust. Then they will write you a tune for your car.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
The only real negative effect will be less highway mpg. Do you know what gears you have in there now? Also some people recommend going with4.10s when they have an auto but that is up to if you wanna look into that or not. I don't have any personal experience with bama but have heard a lot of great things about them. Not exactly sure what kit you are looking at but our goig to need the gears and the install kit that AM sells and of course the hand held tuner. When you do buy the tuner you will just have to tell bama you have and air raid intake and maybe they will want to know about the exhaust. Then they will write you a tune for your car.
What I was talking about with the gears is that (and this is recycled from elsewhere as I do not have a 5.0) is that the first gear on the 5.0 auto is so deep that 4.10s are pretty much useless and you'll spin like a mofo coming out of the hole. If this is the case on the V6 as well it probably won't be as bad because the V6 makes nowhere near the power the 5.0 makes but its no slouch either.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Thanks for the info guys. I forgot to mention that I believe the car came with 2.73 gears, which seem pretty small. For the money am I better at looking at another mod to improve power? I don't want anything crazy, but it would be nice to add a little 'umph. Also will BAMA tunes still keep the car within the law for emissions?
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What I was talking about with the gears is that (and this is recycled from elsewhere as I do not have a 5.0) is that the first gear on the 5.0 auto is so deep that 4.10s are pretty much useless and you'll spin like a mofo coming out of the hole. If this is the case on the V6 as well it probably won't be as bad because the V6 makes nowhere near the power the 5.0 makes but its no slouch either.

This is a good point, just another reason why doing your research about your exact car is a good idea. What might be fine on another car could be crap on yours.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I forgot to mention that I believe the car came with 2.73 gears, which seem pretty small. For the money am I better at looking at another mod to improve power? I don't want anything crazy, but it would be nice to add a little 'umph. Also will BAMA tunes still keep the car within the law for emissions?

Well the gears in combination with the bama tuner will for sure give your car some umph. I'm pretty sure your tune with your upgrades will be fine with emissions.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

So my questions are:

You'll definitely love these modifications. Intake, Tune and Gears are the first three modifications I recommend to anyone who is getting started in the modification game! You already have the intake so you're on the right track.

Gears are my personal favorite mod. If you have the factory 2.73's and jump up to 3.73's your car is going to be a completely different animal! You'll notice huge increases in acceleration and you'll be able to get off the line like a bat out of hell. Your speedometer will be off when installing the gears but we can adjust for your new ratio within the tune! That being said, let me tell you a little bit about how Bama writes their tunes.

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to the Bama team with any questions you may have or if you need some assistance. You can reach them at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Lol ford gave me a quote of almost $900 just for labour.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Lol ford gave me a quote of almost $900 just for labour.
Ya if you just go with Ford or whatever most shops quote you I'd go pick up some KY before you get it done. I asked around a bunch of places last time I had it done and found a small time speed shop that did it perfectly for $250 labor, I supplied parts. Honestly I need to learn this myself. I can fix a $250 million aircraft I think I can handle gears lol.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yea i need to shop around lol
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion