Intake manifold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Intake manifold

What's your opinion on the cobra jet Intake manifold vs. boss 302 intake manifold on the 5.0?
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You will need to ask this question on a different site as I'm sure no one here has done the testing.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Well, I see it costs more and you have to use the gt500 throttle body. I would much rather have the torque down low as compared to top end horsepower. I want to go fast quick, no need to hit 170mph. For me, it would be stupid to buy either as I would just be taking away from the low end that I want. If top speed is what you want, then I guess it would work better than stock. I really like the look of the boss intake but don't want to lose any low end.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
For me, it would be stupid to buy either as I would just be taking away from the low end that I want. If top speed is what you want, then I guess it would work better than stock. I really like the look of the boss intake but don't want to lose any low end.
It all depends on your gearing. If you are running 3:73's the Boss is a great intake. You don't lose that much torque on the low end that you will even notice. You still have to feather the clutch on launches to keep the rear end from breaking loose. The "get up and go" factor is DEFINITELY noticed though. I read so much about the Boss Intake debate prior to installing it, I was confused and worried. The Boss Intake is a great power adder if you want your car to haul *** and I am glad we went this route. If you want enough torque to do a tractor pull, or are just a dyno queen, that all you care about are numbers on the torque graph, maybe not. We added a 90mm throttle body during the install as well. With 3:73's you will have all the torque you want and will still have to work on your suspension to get that torque to the ground effectively. Don't have the any experience with the Cobra Jet, but that IM seems to be more of a 1/4mi specific TB. After 5500rpms, the Boss IM craps on the stock IM. You DEFINITELY feel this driving. You will hear all the crap about you have to run the Boss to 7500 before you get the gains, BS. Right after the install, you will laugh about peeps making those accusations. It takes off after 5500 and you feel it.

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The CJ is more expensive to install, as you will need a GT500 TB, I personally would take that IM over the Boss IM, I don't like the look of the Boss IM that much, and the CJ will have better gains, and minimal to no torque loss over the Boss IM, only thing is that the Boss IM will take Strut bars, the CJ won't, maybe a 2010 GT500 SB, but probably not.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The CJ is more expensive to install, as you will need a GT500 TB, I personally would take that IM over the Boss IM, I don't like the look of the Boss IM that much, and the CJ will have better gains, and minimal to no torque loss over the Boss IM, only thing is that the Boss IM will take Strut bars, the CJ won't, maybe a 2010 GT500 SB, but probably not.
So by your thinking, you would pay OVER a grand more to get gains of +7hp top end and +5torque!
REAL NUMBERS HERE.......

You would also need to forge your internals to effectively run the Cobra Jet. If you think spinning your Coyote at 7500 is a stretch, do it at over 8k.
Tons of people run the Boss IM, how many do the same with the CJ..............There IS a reason
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post

Another quality "tech" post without any expertise...

Love it!

Soccerlover4. Any thoughts?

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Intake manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
So by your thinking, you would pay OVER a grand more to get gains of +7hp top end and +5torque!
REAL NUMBERS HERE.......

You would also need to forge your internals to effectively run the Cobra Jet. If you think spinning your Coyote at 7500 is a stretch, do it at over 8k.
Tons of people run the Boss IM, how many do the same with the CJ..............There IS a reason

I never said that I would do it, I just said that it would be the one that I'd go with.
I also said that the CJ has better gains, I never said how much, although Ford Racing claims a 25HP increase over the Boss IM. People don't go with the CJ often because of the cost. Also, Is the dyno on the same day? Is the CJ IM tuned? FR states that for the best performance out of the CJ if it's tuned.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I am pretty sure you would have to tune with either. I don't think they would do a dyno on an intake swap if it wasn't tuned.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
I am pretty sure you would have to tune with either. I don't think they would do a dyno on an intake swap if it wasn't tuned.

That is true, and if that dyno was on the same day with roughly the same temp, etc. that's a bit surprising to me.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You guys keep talking about tongue loss on the CJ, but they are stating there is no torque loss only gains from the manifold. Also the strut bar yes you can get one for the cobra jet manifold on a gt. Has anyone on this site actually put the or uses the CJ? As well as the price is going down on the CJ just a matter of time before people just start to use it and try it out the boss 302 manifold was out first so that's why everyone is already using it and it's cheaper and people just aren't big spenders... What you pay for is what you get.
PISTONS8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS8904 View Post
You guys keep talking about tongue loss on the CJ, but they are stating there is no torque loss only gains from the manifold. Also the strut bar yes you can get one for the cobra jet manifold on a gt. Has anyone on this site actually put the or uses the CJ? As well as the price is going down on the CJ just a matter of time before people just start to use it and try it out the boss 302 manifold was out first so that's why everyone is already using it and it's cheaper and people just aren't big spenders... What you pay for is what you get.

The CJ IM is newer, but once the price goes down, which it will, people will be buying them. FR has stated no torque loss over the Boss IM, and POSSIBLE gains of 25 HP from the CJ over the boss IM. I don't know why I keep stating this, as some people here attack everything I say in attempt to have me banned for some reason.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
REAL NUMBERS HERE.......

Dyno numbers are meaning less if you ask me. Got any actual track numbers?

And you do not need to forge your motor to run the Cobra Jet intake. There are 6 people no less I know of from other forums doing it without forged motors.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion