Turbo (single or twin) or a supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Turbo (single or twin) or a supercharger

I been think oh what to do to my 2013 mustang gt in the near future and I just need some opinions on if I should turbo it or supercharger it Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388680012.555086.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	143515
Justinsenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinsenese View Post
I been think oh what to do to my 2013 mustang gt in the near future and I just need some opinions on if I should turbo it or supercharger it Attachment 143515

What are your plans?

DD
STRIP
TRACK
SHOW CAR

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
What are your plans?

DD
STRIP
TRACK
SHOW CAR

It's prob going to be show car and street race and highway pulls once in a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's prob going to be show car and street race and highway pulls once in a while

What is your budget?

And careful about street racing references here. Will get you banned.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
What is your budget?

And careful about street racing references here. Will get you banned.

I'm not really sure yet i just want some info I mean I don't want some **** product I want it to be good quality and have the power show from it .... So really no budget
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Turbo (single or twin) or a supercharger

Research them all and see what tailors to your wants more. I prefer a supercharger just because I find it to be easier to tune for an exact boost level that doesn't change. Turbos boost fluctuates and can be more difficult to tune for. On another note, Street racing is completely stupid and any thread about it will be closed.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well not street racing I wouldn't be doing that just like stupid pulls with some friends of mine nothing crazy but I just want that power
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think my next supercharged car will be a centrifugal style. I'd love to do a twin turbo, build the motor and go as high as I could.

Do you want the most power you can get?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm considering a paxton novi 2200. The powerband with a centri is similar to stock (meaning you wont have to relearn how to drive it), and they have the potential for big gains with a pulley - assuming you build up the internals and stuff first.

Others are very happy with their roushchargers, whipples, and etc - really, just look at the potential gains and remember, the more complex a system is, the more likely you are to have an issue with it.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've been thinking about picking up Paxton/ Vortech. Only a hand full of companies really sell them at a good price.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I personally like the aesthetics of a big PD BLOWER. Ken bell mammoth or the newer big Whipples.

All personal preference since you have no specific application.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I am one to think that you'll be happy with any type of supercharger. Of course some are better than others in different aspects, but when the foot hits the accelerator a smile will result from any FI.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Anyone rooting for turbos hasn't owned/tuned one or is using the car as a show car or track rat.

A centrifugal blower is by far the most fun. Easy installs, typically, makes great power, easy to tune, easier on the driveline than PD or turbo. It seems pretty much tailor made for the power delivery of this platform.

Ask yourself, do you want the engine to feel like a big block? if so, then PD (Roush, Edelbrock, Whipple, Magnusson, etc.) is for you.

If the power curve of the engine suits you, the centri style matches it better but still increases the area under the curve enormously.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Don't think anyone "rooted" for a turbo. I think I'm the only one that mentioned it. I'd love to have a TT setup myself though. I also said its difficult to tune in my first response.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Don't think anyone "rooted" for a turbo. I think I'm the only one that mentioned it. I'd love to have a TT setup myself though. I also said its difficult to tune in my first response.
Difficult to tune, but VERY fun, really good power, amazing power potential, easy install and you can't be a that sound!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Anyone rooting for turbos hasn't owned/tuned one or is using the car as a show car or track rat.

A centrifugal blower is by far the most fun. Easy installs, typically, makes great power, easy to tune, easier on the driveline than PD or turbo. It seems pretty much tailor made for the power delivery of this platform.

Ask yourself, do you want the engine to feel like a big block? if so, then PD (Roush, Edelbrock, Whipple, Magnusson, etc.) is for you.

If the power curve of the engine suits you, the centri style matches it better but still increases the area under the curve enormously.

These are subjective opinions and really don't hold merit. I understand your giving advice but its very one sided, Turbos aren't that hard to install, by you saying this I'm assuming you're a tuner?

I've owned and installed all these styles, first off the Centri blowers are just as difficult if not more difficult to install than a PD blower. A maggy blower and Edelbrock blower take about 5 hours to install. It normally takes me about 8 hours to install a whipple or Roush blower... and that's taking my time. With a VMP plug and play wiring harness you can cut your time down by about 2 hours.
Turbos produce the most power, are the most efficient but are the most difficult to drive and dial in..... and install.

This is opinion based but I found Centris to be boring on the street whereas this is where PD's shine.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I see the OP has a Boss intake, I have the same with 3.73s. Does anybody have any experience with Vortech V3 and the setup I just mentioned?? I really don't want to get rid of my Boss intake Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388686627.559241.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	143518
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Turbos easy install? Ever done it? Theres a whole extra side of piping to install and fiddle into fitting and x2 with twins. It's a serious undertaking.

You can get pretty serious potential out of a Centri with a afternoon length install and easy tuning. The centris big advantage is an internal step up ratio that balances off the losses to drive the blower and allows a huge head unit a/r without consequences for driveability issues.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Turbos easy install? Ever done it? Theres a whole extra side of piping to install and fiddle into fitting and x2 with twins. It's a serious undertaking.

You can get pretty serious potential out of a Centri with a afternoon length install and easy tuning. The centris big advantage is an internal step up ratio that balances off the losses to drive the blower and allows a huge head unit a/r without consequences for driveability issues.
Yeah, I found it pretty easy. I did mine myself in a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140102_142945.png
Views:	90
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	143526  
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
When looking into this myself I found the vortech v3 kit to be the most attractive to me. Its all a personal opinion really. Good luck on your search!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion