2013 trunk lid rust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
2013 trunk lid rust

I noticed some minor paint bubbling on the bottom leading edge of the trunk lid right along the folded weld (I'll post pic tomorrow). Anyone else getting this problem?

This seems like a bad design or shotty paint work by ford... Guess I'll sand and paint if it gets any worse or mention to ford since I have the extended warranty.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Where do you live?
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Philadelphia suburb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388860835.330061.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	143753Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388860851.245983.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	143754Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388860866.729568.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	143755Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388860879.262969.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	143756
Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
I noticed some minor paint bubbling on the bottom leading edge of the trunk lid right along the folded weld (I'll post pic tomorrow). Anyone else getting this problem?

This seems like a bad design or shotty paint work by ford... Guess I'll sand and paint if it gets any worse or mention to ford since I have the extended warranty.
That would be at the shop getting fixed!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Are your "weep" holes plugged? I found two holes, one on each side of the inside truck lip that were taped over from the factory with clear tape. I didn't see the holes until I saw round orange rust dots on the left and right. I took the tape off and the "small amount" of flaky rust fell out into the water tray and I cleaned it up.

I think it is to allow any water inside the truck lid to weep out into the water tray that lets rain water flow out of the truck lid area. If it doesn't weep out, it will collect and could be causing rust bubbles like that?

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If it's a 2013 depending on your mileage take it into a dealer and warranty it. It should be covered in bumper to bumper, we get things like this all the time at work.
SVT_Mewbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It is a 13, I'm at 48,000 miles but have the 100,000 mi warranty. I'll ask at next oil change... Where are these weep holes, on the trunk lid itself or between the windshield weather stripping and trunk tray/drain area? I'll post my results if any, thanks guys!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
It is a 13, I'm at 48,000 miles but have the 100,000 mi warranty. I'll ask at next oil change... Where are these weep holes, on the trunk lid itself or between the windshield weather stripping and trunk tray/drain area? I'll post my results if any, thanks guys!
Best way to find them is open the lid full up and look at both the left and right side of the lid at the corner closest to the body of the car. You might find the clear tape "disk" may have some of the paint color on it. The tape disk is a tiny bit larger than size of a dime. The hole it covers is about the size of a #2 pencil.

I asked my dealer service manager if the tape should have been removed and he said yes, but who knows, I don't think he had ever even seen them before. All I know is mine had rust powder built up inside that came out when the tape disk was removed.

If you look at the lid and follow a runner up from one of these two holes, you can see an inside the lid ridge that looks like it is an internal water duct "could" direct water from inside the lid to either one of these holes.

My car is garaged in winter and I just looked at it again at it to make sure I could tell you the right spot and i noticed a "dirt line" on the same area as yours that seems to be created by the rubber seal the truck lid closes on. The dirt line looks rusty brown, not black. I rubbed with a wet finger and it seems I could remove a little some of it, so I will see in the morning if I can remove it with a cleaner. If not, this seems like an area that needs attention like using a silicone spray on the rubber seal quite often.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah if it's under warranty, they will completely sand down and replace it. Free of any charge to you.
SVT_Mewbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Yeah that's not normal! Mine isn't rusted at all

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion