Safe maximum lowering on 13 GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Safe maximum lowering on 13 GT?

Anyone with direct experience lowering their car 1 1/2" or more?

Last year I changed the stock all season 18" Pirellis to lower profile Pilot Super Sports which dropped the car 0.6 inches (went from 27.2" diameter to 26"). In the spring I'm going to change the suspension which is going to drop it another inch all around for a total drop of 1.6". I'm a bit concerned about bottoming out. This is both a daily driver and a I road course the car half dozen times over the summer. I'm hoping the stiffer setup will compensate a bit and protect the undersides. I'm not looking to change the forum to suspension suggestions, just looking for to hear from those who have experienced occasional bottoming out and how much they lowered the cars.

I plan on upgrading to 19's later in the year which will bring the diameter back to the original and the net drop to 1" (with the suspension change) and fill the gap in the wheel wells but that's for later.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Anyone with direct experience lowering their car 1 1/2" or more?

Last year I changed the stock all season 18" Pirellis to lower profile Pilot Super Sports which dropped the car 0.6 inches (went from 27.2" diameter to 26"). In the spring I'm going to change the suspension which is going to drop it another inch all around for a total drop of 1.6". I'm a bit concerned about bottoming out. This is both a daily driver and a I road course the car half dozen times over the summer. I'm hoping the stiffer setup will compensate a bit and protect the undersides. I'm not looking to change the forum to suspension suggestions, just looking for to hear from those who have experienced occasional bottoming out and how much they lowered the cars.

I plan on upgrading to 19's later in the year which will bring the diameter back to the original and the net drop to 1" (with the suspension change) and fill the gap in the wheel wells but that's for later.

There are people with 2" of static drop that don't rub or bottom out on anything. You do have to change your driving habits however. No more flying into driveways or catching air on speed bumps lol.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 2014 GT. It has been lowered 2 inches at all four corner. That leaves 4 inches of ground clearance between the chassis and the road surface. The rear bump stops have been shaved down to about half. My car has been lowered for 19 thousand daily driven street miles with out any issues (no bottoming). I do have properly tuned springs and dampers so that helps tremendously and the ride quality is very very nice. I could actually go lower but its not necessary for the street. At the track I could easily lower another .75 to 1 inch.
Picked up: 5/14/2013
55R2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My 2010 GT is lowered on eibach sportlines with 20's just gotta be little careful in driveways and stuff. However no rubbing issues.
kript2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good, just good to hear from those who have done it. Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The big thing to watch is pulling up to parking spots that have a curb in the front. You will end up trashing the lower air dam or bumper splitter.
Bodyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, even now it just clears (or scrapes over!!!) those $&@&$ things. But a good reminder...maybe I'll move the back up camera to the front...LoL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion