V6 Mustang gas mileage - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #36

I get good gas mileage, but it's like when I have the ac/heat on. It drains quick, I'm not too sure why?
jasowell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #37

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
Wait, how are you guys doing so bad with mpg, i always average 24 with mix hwy/city, i've never done all highway, and i don't drive like grandma either, if anything i push the car too hard! Lol.

Do you have any aftermarket parts on your car? That's probably why. Lol.
ahhhitsvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
CAI is all i've got. And I tuned her up when i got her, also i only use non ethanol gas. That could be another reason. Lol
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #39

Lol. How did you tune it? Like towards better gas or?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Your tuner or company that sends you tunes can give you a performance tune for 93 or 91 octane and increase performance or can give you an 87 tune and tone down performance for fuel economy.
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
2000stanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhitsvito View Post
Lol. How did you tune it? Like towards better gas or?

Tune up, like changing plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc. Not a bama tune or anything like that
Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
If you use AM's Bama tuning for life which comes free with their tuners they send you a tune for 87, 89, and 91 octane. The 87 is more low rpm power for better mpg daily, 89 is a street tune with more high rpm power and it doesn't hurt gas mpg but I haven't noticed any gains when using it (besides the car being 100x more fun to drive), and 91 octane is the race tune which I've never personally used, but I'm sure it's amazing. Plus you can switch between each tune quickly if you want to change. If you buy a tuner from somewhere else you'll have to find a website or place to actually sell you tunes as well. With AM you get 3 free tunes when you buy the tuner and then you just have to go online and fill out another sheet (which takes 5 mins tops) to get 3 new tunes sent to you if you change something on your car.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 AM   #43

Since I want some better gas mileage because it's my daily driver, would I be pretty slow getting to speed from a stoplight or getting onto the highway if I use the 87, or would it be okay? And is the 89 what comes regular for v6 mustangs?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

You would be faster getting to speed no matter which tune you use because they each give your mustang more horsepower just at different rpm points. Mustangs come stock with their stock tune which is way worse than either 87 or 89 tune. You'll notice a difference.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Don't load the 93 race tune... You'll never see 20's mpg again Hehehe >

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post

It's always been tempting me but I haven't ever done it. Is it amazing?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post

I never get 20mpg anyways. Haha
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
How do u guys calculate your gas mileage
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Fill up you gas completely and write down your miles on your car so far. Drive then next time you fill up just take miles on your car right then minus what they were last time you filled up divided by how many gallons of gas you put in to fill up.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
Fill up you gas completely and write down your miles on your car so far. Drive then next time you fill up just take miles on your car right then minus what they were last time you filled up divided by how many gallons of gas you put in to fill up.

You forgot to say don't top the car off, it'll **** up your numbers.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
You forgot to say don't top the car off, it'll **** up your numbers.

Whoops my bad, I never top off my car because I was taught its bad to do so it didn't even occur to me!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I get about 24 miles to gallon stock.
Apas717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
When I got my Mustang, I got an app to track my fuel use. No matter what the vehicle, town driving kills gas mileage. Traffic control means impeding smooth continuous flow, and is what kills good mileage. Until the government forces communities to change outdated road designs, it is not going to get any better.

Since owning my 2013 3.7, the worse mileage I got (mostly short commutes) was 18.4 mpg. My last tank of highway driving @ 65-80, I got 30.2 mpg. My average is 22.7 mpg. My 08 Taurus did not start to get its best mileage until after 60,000 miles of use, so I expect my average to go up.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thanks I'm going to try that and I also didn't know it was bad to top of your car. Everytime the pumps stop I always hold back in for a few more cents whoops
Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

V6 Mustang gas mileage

Just did the math of an good estimate I get around 11-12.5 mpg. Now I know something is wrong with my car
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

First road trip in my 2011 V-6 last weekend.

Wife drove on the way to Charlotte, NC and averaged 79 on I-26 and I drove home did a stretch where I was running 90-95 mph and for the trip we averaged 25 mpg. the car ran great and I am happy with the MPG.

I did install a K&N drop in filter.

K

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
It's always been tempting me but I haven't ever done it. Is it amazing?
So amazing that you will most likely have your foot on it all the time

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange View Post
Just did the math of an good estimate I get around 11-12.5 mpg. Now I know something is wrong with my car

How often do you change your fuel filter on your car? What about oil and filter? Plus what year is your car and how do you drive?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How often do you change your fuel filter on your car? What about oil and filter? Plus what year is your car and how do you drive?

Well I got the car last summer and as soon a I got it did a tune up replaced coil packs air and fuel filter and oil change everything came to around 550. My car is an 04 with 120,000 miles and during my work week I cruise 60-75 mph. There is 1 thing I have a cel light on the code is large or small evap leak but the shop said it shouldn't effect anything just get it fixed before I have emission test so I dunno
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

And I highly doubt the car has gears or a tune on it. This is my 1st mustang so not sure how it would feel with or without gears only thing I know of that was done was a drop in air filter and true dual exhaust flowmaster super 40's
Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And I highly doubt the car has gears or a tune on it. This is my 1st mustang so not sure how it would feel with or without gears only thing I know of that was done was a drop in air filter and true dual exhaust flowmaster super 40's

I bet that sounds good! Even with just air intake and dual exhaust you'd fall in love with it after a tune. The gas mileage is pretty close to what you should get in an older mustang with decent miles on it. Plus unless you drive like a granny (which I find hard to do in a mustang) you won't be getting the best mileage possible. I got my tuner thinking I would use the 87 tune and get better gas mileage, BUT when you try the street tune you are like who needs a few extra mpg I get a little better gas mileage then I used to when I would drive fast with the stock tune. The power and feeling you get with a tune though makes it my favorite upgrade I've ever bought.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bet that sounds good! Even with just air intake and dual exhaust you'd fall in love with it after a tune. The gas mileage is pretty close to what you should get in an older mustang with decent miles on it. Plus unless you drive like a granny (which I find hard to do in a mustang) you won't be getting the best mileage possible. I got my tuner thinking I would use the 87 tune and get better gas mileage, BUT when you try the street tune you are like who needs a few extra mpg I get a little better gas mileage then I used to when I would drive fast with the stock tune. The power and feeling you get with a tune though makes it my favorite upgrade I've ever bought.

Yea it sounds pretty good... I dunno I just seems like something is off with the gas. Btw I run 87 and synthetic blend oil changes. I hear so many things to make our car quick or feel quicker I don't know where to start... People say get 4:10's or tloc or gt 8.8 rear end so both my wheels will spin and I hear tune it also. Where should I start ?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390514581.739113.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	145495
Here's a photo of her from last weekend . Everyone says get a gt but I love it and invested good money into it already
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea it sounds pretty good... I dunno I just seems like something is off with the gas. Btw I run 87 and synthetic blend oil changes. I hear so many things to make our car quick or feel quicker I don't know where to start... People say get 4:10's or tloc or gt 8.8 rear end so both my wheels will spin and I hear tune it also. Where should I start ?

Well I went CAI, exhaust, then tuner. I've been searching for a gt rear end for a while because they have the tloc on them already. I suggest a tuner because, if you get it from American Muscle, you get free tunes for life so you can enjoy the full benefits of your exhaust and CAI, but also you can fully enjoy any mods you add on in the future. After that gears and a rear end would be what I would do next, but maybe try and find the rear end of a GT with 3.73 or 4.10 gears already in it. If you can't I would suggest doing the rear end and then the gears so you don't have to install them in one rear end then swap them out and put them into another.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

V6 Mustang gas mileage

Quote:
Well I went CAI, exhaust, then tuner. I've been searching for a gt rear end for a while because they have the tloc on them already. I suggest a tuner because, if you get it from American Muscle, you get free tunes for life so you can enjoy the full benefits of your exhaust and CAI, but also you can fully enjoy any mods you add on in the future. After that gears and a rear end would be what I would do next, but maybe try and find the rear end of a GT with 3.73 or 4.10 gears already in it. If you can't I would suggest doing the rear end and then the gears so you don't have to install them in one rear end then swap them out and put them into another.

That's the route I'm pretty much headed in.Yea you right but rear ends I seen on eBay are like around 900. Guess you gotta pay to play tho. Tuner is 379 on AM guess I mines well stop being cheap and cough it up. I wanna set mine to the highest fastest tune possible lol... The hell with mpg if I'm having fun and enjoying it
Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I love my v6 as well, but I just hate how there aren't near as many mods for v6's as there are for GT's. Also you get lower gains from each mod you put on. If I could afford buying a GT right now I would. I stopped putting money into my car besides just in maintenance so I can use it until I finish college and can afford a GT.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

On all the other rear end threads people have said that a low mileage rear end should only cost like 300 bucks, one guy said he got lucky and found one with 4.10 gears in it for like 250. I think ebays prices aren't good for rear ends.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Yea u right there isn't. Eventually I will get a v8 may go for a cobra if prices continue to drop
Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I am now at 21,000 miles - got it with 14,000. Anyway, I live in Atlanta and my commute is only about 4 miles each way. I am a construction manager so it is not unusual to go to a few jobs a week. These are generally 10-15 miles away and I will be on the interstate at some point going 70-80 mph, depending on traffic conditions. Typically I am right around 20 mpg, lowest is just under 19 and the highest I have seen is about 28 on the road. I have yet to hit 30 mpg on a road trip - which disappoints me a bit after seeing what some others are getting. I typically use cruise control at about 74 mph. Car is totally stock with 2.73 rear end. Suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'm have to check around locally and forums

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
v6 mustang