Ordered a CAI... ??? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #36
Road Trip!

Just don't try and send it back before you even try it out. All of these people telling you to not get a CAI end up buying one anyways later on.

Even no tune intakes still have plenty of gains after you tune. It's literally one of the first mods anybody does.

Mustangs don't really have massive gains from any one mod. Most bolt ons only have "minimal" gains like try said this would. But lots of "little" mods add up.

Too long;didn't read

Just keep the damn thing bro!!

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

You also get better throttle response not just a "cool whistle"

CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
@CoolHorsey:

He doesn't want to get an aftermarket tune (If he did, I'd tell him to keep it... Maybe, there's better CAI's out there than BBK's). Yes, I will agree a CAI will free up your throttle response a little, but so will a drop-in K&N filter (speaking from experience) which only costs $40.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #38
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
@CoolHorsey:

He doesn't want to get an aftermarket tune (If he did, I'd tell him to keep it... Maybe, there's better CAI's out there than BBK's). Yes, I will agree a CAI will free up your throttle response a little, but so will a drop-in K&N filter (speaking from experience) which only costs $40.

Ah that's right I forgot he posted that sorry.

Maybe he can trade for a better one at least ya know?

A mint used K&N cai>>new BBK CAI

Hell I bought my car used with a K&N intake with 0 info or paperwork from previous owner. Who knows how long it's been in there but the think looks really really clean. It's just a hollow tube at the end of the day. He can get that + a brand new filter = voila!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 02:05 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'd do, trade it or find a used JLT, Airaid, or Steeda CAI (I personally think Steeda's CAI's are the best, but the former are great too). Of course, those perform best with a tune though (the JLT and Steeda CAI's require a tune).
Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Edit: Uhm, is it just me or is the post I just answered to completely gone?...

Post too long? Just read the bold sections.

---

When I replaced the paper filter in my 2010 GT (has the new factory CAI) with a K&N filter, I got about 1-2 MPG increase city, and 3 MPG increase highway. The more responsive throttle (semi-noticeable) would be the "gain in power." Expect similar results with the BBK CAI.

"CAI 18+ HP on the dyno" etc. videos are how companies trick buyers and sell CAI's. They install the CAI, tune the car to perfectly compliment the CAI on a dynojet, and advertise it very slyly. The tune is providing most of the gains, while the CAI alone is only providing a small bump, WITH THE TUNE. For example (numbers are semi-made up for example purposes):

All Stock Mustang GT (with factory tune): 300 HP
All Stock Mustang GT + aftermarket tune: 320 HP <- aftermarket tune is 20+ HP

Mustang GT (with factory tune) + CAI: 305 HP <- CAI is 5+ HP (with factory tune)
Mustang GT + aftermarket tune + CAI: 330 HP <- CAI is 10+ HP, aftermarket tune is 20+ HP

So you see, this is how companies sell CAI's. If you read the fine print, the "18+ HP!" is only with an aftermarket tune. That's actually kind of poor, considering the JLT CAI's apparently provide ~31+ HP with a tune.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex96GT View Post
Rear gears. That's always a good mods. Give the car a better acceleration. It wont increase hp/tq but I will make your 0-60 better.

Gears do not need a tune but without a tune the mileage on the odometer will be off.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #42
Road Trip!

Ordered a CAI... ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've heard that, but I've also heard where if they see the ECU has been tuned (flashed) they void warranty, so I'm not sure.

I've also heard Steeda will prove to Ford their tune did not cause the failure and I heard the same about Bama. So from what I was told Steeda and Bama would be the tunes to purchase while still under warrantee . If I'm wrong please someone correct me so I can tell the person who told me, they are full of sh1t.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
I've also heard Steeda will prove to For their tune did not cause the failure and I think I heard the same about Bama. So from what I was told Steeda and Bsma would be the tunes to purchase while still under warrantee . If I'm incorrect please someone correct me so I can correct the others who are wrong.
Incorrect from what I can make out from your post although it's very difficult to understand.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've also heard Steeda will prove to For their tune did not cause the failure and I think I heard the same about Bama. So from what I was told Steeda and Bsma would be the tunes to purchase while still under warrantee . If I'm incorrect please someone correct me so I can correct the others who are wrong.
They claim to "back you up" if something goes wrong, but I still wouldn't risk losing my warranty for an aftermarket tune.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Edit: Uhm, is it just me or is the post I just answered to completely gone?...

Post too long? Just read the bold sections.

---

When I replaced the paper filter in my 2010 GT (has the new factory CAI) with a K&N filter, I got about 1-2 MPG increase city, and 3 MPG increase highway. The more responsive throttle (semi-noticeable) would be the "gain in power." Expect similar results with the BBK CAI.

"CAI 18+ HP on the dyno" etc. videos are how companies trick buyers and sell CAI's. They install the CAI, tune the car to perfectly compliment the CAI on a dynojet, and advertise it very slyly. The tune is providing most of the gains, while the CAI alone is only providing a small bump, WITH THE TUNE. For example (numbers are semi-made up for example purposes):

All Stock Mustang GT (with factory tune): 300 HP
All Stock Mustang GT + aftermarket tune: 320 HP <- aftermarket tune is 20+ HP

Mustang GT (with factory tune) + CAI: 305 HP <- CAI is 5+ HP (with factory tune)
Mustang GT + aftermarket tune + CAI: 330 HP <- CAI is 10+ HP, aftermarket tune is 20+ HP

So you see, this is how companies sell CAI's. If you read the fine print, the "18+ HP!" is only with an aftermarket tune. That's actually kind of poor, considering the JLT CAI's apparently provide ~31+ HP with a tune.

Completely true. 1000%

Also everybody gets a cold air Intake anyways

Unless you buy a blower and have to get rid of it

Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Incorrect from what I can make out from your post although it's very difficult to understand.

I corrected the typo's seeing how the iPhone did not help out. Maybe you can understand it now.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
I've also heard Steeda will prove to Ford their tune did not cause the failure and I heard the same about Bama. So from what I was told Steeda and Bama would be the tunes to purchase while still under warrantee . If I'm wrong please someone correct me so I can tell the person who told me, they are full of sh1t.

You are correct about Steeda, I'm not sure about Bama, haven't heard if they will or not.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:

They just "make their case" to ford to get them to be ok with it. At least that's what I read from one of that guy cj's posts. That being said..

Don't trust ANYTHING ANY company tells you about these kinds of things. At the end of the day it's all up to ford.. And well everyone knows how big company's are quick to say NO and make you pay everything out of pocket. Buyer beware!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai