Ordered a CAI... ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ordered a CAI... ???

So i ordered the SR CAI from AM, getting it today. Only got it because it was on sale lol, $80 off

What would be the next best mod to get that Wont require a tune? I don't wan't to tune the car until after the warranty is gone.

Thanks!
AmericanBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Rear gears. That's always a good mods. Give the car a better acceleration. It wont increase hp/tq but I will make your 0-60 better.
BigTex96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. I am in the same boat.

I want to hang onto my warranty until it expires so I can't tune it yet. So, the only sensible mod I really want to do is a CAI.

So...
1) What type of gains will I see with a CAI without a tune? I don't expect any HP gains obviously, but maybe some throttle response?
2) What does a CAI do to the engine sound?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You really wnt feel much from a CAI but it really help your car take in more air witch good and you might here a slight difference in the engine but nothing that will wow you
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex96GT View Post
You really wnt feel much from a CAI but it really help your car take in more air witch good and you might here a slight difference in the engine but nothing that will wow you
Worth the money in your opinion?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

For 80 buck.. Yes I think it is, it's a good stater mod. Every other intake is the same the only reason some are more pricey than others is just cuz of the brand name.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex96GT View Post
For 80 buck.. Yes I think it is, it's a good stater mod. Every other intake is the same the only reason some are more pricey than others is just cuz of the brand name.
Lol! He said it was $80 off not 80 total. But I hear you. It's definitely on my list then!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh my bad haha
Old 01-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Gears is your next best investment. The price is high, but the gain is worth every penny.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys, i assumed the gears would be the next recommended mod, going 4.10 since i have an Auto, but i had read that they would need a tune..? so i was a little confused.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
They do need a tune for your speedometer to be accurate. I upgraded to 3.55 and mine was reading about a 20mph difference as in higher. As far as tech is concern, I don't know if it's needed, but if you want your speedometer to be accurate you will definitely need a tune
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Gears are also not under your warranty unless you get it done at a ford cert shop.... Stealerships will cost you an arm and a leg though
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've been eyeballin' those for a little while now, particularly the 450-265...which one is $80 off?
PatinMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Tunes don't void your warranty.
Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony123 View Post
Tunes don't void your warranty.

Ford has stated tampering with the ECU(which tunes do) will void warranty.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatinMich View Post
I've been eyeballin' those for a little while now, particularly the 450-265...which one is $80 off?
it's not anymore but it's

SR Performance Mustang Cold Air Intake 56184 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

it's at 250 now.

BTW i installed it, and it sounds awesome, i am driving a little harder now just to hear it lol.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

A tune is absolutely necessary when swapping gears for a couple of reasons.

1. To correct the speedometer
2. To correct shift points in an automatic transmission (if you swap gears, the ECU will continue to shift in the same spots as it did with the old gears, and this will damage your tranny)

If you're a warranty hoarder, gears aren't your next move. I see that you've already done axlebacks...Hmmm.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
A tune is absolutely necessary when swapping gears for a couple of reasons.

1. To correct the speedometer
2. To correct shift points in an automatic transmission (if you swap gears, the ECU will continue to shift in the same spots as it did with the old gears, and this will damage your tranny)

If you're a warranty hoarder, gears aren't your next move. I see that you've already done axlebacks...Hmmm.

I know what a tune does for a car, specifically what it will do for an auto. I'm not a "warranty hoarder" as I have several things I want to buy that will void warranty, so if I was a "warranty hoarder" I wouldn't even be considering a suspension package, tune, Intake, etc. I just don't have the money for them right now, or for repairs if anything should go wrong.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Ok okay. I thought ford had to prove that the tune is what caused the problem.
Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony123 View Post
Ok okay. I thought ford had to prove that the tune is what caused the problem.

I've heard that, but I've also heard where if they see the ECU has been tuned (flashed) they void warranty, so I'm not sure.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I know what a tune does for a car, specifically what it will do for an auto. I'm not a "warranty hoarder" as I have several things I want to buy that will void warranty, so if I was a "warranty hoarder" I wouldn't even be considering a suspension package, tune, Intake, etc. I just don't have the money for them right now, or for repairs if anything should go wrong.
And I wasn't talking to you. I was posting in response to the OP. I know you know what a tune does to a car, and I didn't mean to offend anyone with my "warranty hoarder" remark, it was in jest.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, honest mistake, I had mentioned something about a tune earlier, and most people know how often I bring up warranty, which I personally don't care about since most aftermarket parts come with one.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

And besides, the first step is recognizing the problem. My name is Josh, and I'm a warranty hoarder.

Just chill out man.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've heard that, but I've also heard where if they see the ECU has been tuned (flashed) they void warranty, so I'm not sure.
Ford has to prove the mod caused the issue..there had been a few cases on here that said ford did warranty work with mods on the car. It all depends on ur dealership tho!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Without a tune u can do CAI/Throttle body/full exhaust (tune is recommended but not required especially if u go with catted) but to really see the gains u would need a tune. U can also think about doing suspension work like control arms to help put the power down!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Gears + no tune = speedometer will be quite off, I'd say it "requires" a tune.

CAI + no tune = NOT worth the $200+ you're going to spend.
- Same goes with other induction/exhaust mods + no tune = your engine really won't make the most of them. The mods that require a tune are where you're going to get a lot of power (i.e. JLT or Steeda's CAI vs. Airaid's no-tune CAI).

I'd say work on the suspension. Lower your car on some springs, struts, and shocks all of the same make so they'll all work together best. Prepare your car for added power in the future with some upper and lower control arms, etc..
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Gears + no tune = speedometer will be quite off, I'd say it "requires" a tune. CAI + no tune = NOT worth the $200+ you're going to spend. - Same goes with other induction/exhaust mods + no tune = your engine really won't make the most of them. The mods that require a tune are where you're going to get a lot of power (i.e. JLT or Steeda's CAI vs. Airaid's no-tune CAI). I'd say work on the suspension. Lower your car on some springs, struts, and shocks all of the same make so they'll all work together best. Prepare your car for added power in the future with some upper and lower control arms, etc..
+1 Not only will ur speedometer be of but so will ur odometer & ur car will rack up make miles than ur actually putting on it!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys,

By the way. would a throttle body change the sound of the engine? and should i expect to get any gains without a tune?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Hey gents. I just bought the BBK CAI for my 07 GT, but I don't want to tune it either, don't want to mess with the computer. My mechanic says they don't really add HP to the car nor deliver anything the company says it does, except make the engine sound better and look cooler. I need some clarification here before I waste $289. I haven't install it, so I just have to pay to ship back to LMR. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. I installed some Pypes Violators and like the sound. Maybe I should get my money back and get some lowering springs instead. I'm not on the mission to soup it up, just a bit better performance.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBulldog View Post
thanks guys, By the way. would a throttle body change the sound of the engine? and should i expect to get any gains without a tune?
U probably won't gain much from a TB without a tune. A TB is more of a complimentary mod when u have full bolt on or mainly FI. It might add a slight umph in the lowend but not sure of it's worth $300+.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
Hey gents. I just bought the BBK CAI for my 07 GT, but I don't want to tune it either, don't want to mess with the computer. My mechanic says they don't really add HP to the car nor deliver anything the company says it does, except make the engine sound better and look cooler. I need some clarification here before I waste $289. I haven't install it, so I just have to pay to ship back to LMR. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. I installed some Pypes Violators and like the sound. Maybe I should get my money back and get some lowering springs instead. I'm not on the mission to soup it up, just a bit better performance.
Without a tune ur gonna get minimal gains that u'll probably barley feel if any! Maybe just a slight quicker responsive.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

&tonyjuan:

He's right, I'd send it back. Without a tune, you'll probably get 5 HP +/- out of a CAI, unless you just want it for looks. Spend that $300 elsewhere.

'Just springs' is another thing. I'd never swap 'just the springs' on my Mustang either. The OEM shocks and struts don't handle well with aftermarket springs, especially on higher-mileage vehicles. I've heard that Ford's strut mounts fall apart upon removal. You'll also need an adj. panhard bar and camber bolts at the very minimum.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, that gives me an idea. Thank you guys.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Oh crap. I tried sending it back and it's going to cost me $51. Maybe I should install it and see what happens. Hell, I'll only live once and won't get to do this again.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Err... I'd still send it back and walk away with $240, but since I have experience with CAI's it'd be easy for me to do so.

If I had to describe no-tune CAI's, I'd compare them to a K&N drop-in replacement filter in terms of gains (just a tiny bit noticeable). They do look nicer on the 05-09's and have a nice whistle.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai