Looking for my first Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Looking for my first Mustang

I am currently in the market for something I can tinker with. I have always loved the fox body mustangs, but never owned one. I am in a position, where I can finally buy one, and I am wanting some advice. I have $10k to spend, I am looking for a fox body that will be a weekend cruiser. I am not dead set on a fox body though, I pretty much like them all. I am wanting something that I can easily modify, and upgrade. I am above average on my mechanical abilities, but still have a lot to learn. I built a 383 stroker years ago, and put it in a k5 blazer, so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. That being said, I haven't messed with fuel injection much. TBI, MAF, and tuning, are areas where I can still learn a lot.

Are there any models/years I should look for, or stay away from?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm not a big fox guy but if I had to pick one it be a 93 cobra convertible. But those might out of your budget I'm not sure. most foxes from what I've seen go for pretty cheap an I wouldn't mind having a hatchback project car
Excretionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
They never made a 93 Cobra convertible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubi351 View Post
They never made a 93 Cobra convertible.

Lol oh then just a 93 cobra would do i guess
Excretionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Don't feel bad, I didn't know they didn't make a '93 Cobra convertible either.
Just when I think I'm dead set on a fox body, I run across something like this!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1389801392.867048.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	144698
But, there is just something about a lowered fox body.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1389801364.512586.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	144697
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1389801221.019063.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	144696  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
Don't feel bad, I didn't know they didn't make a '93 Cobra convertible either.
Just when I think I'm dead set on a fox body, I run across something like this!

But, there is just something about a lowered fox body.
For the money fox body's are the best mustang heads down for modding and getting them down the track quick and cheap. things to look for when look at some check the lower torque boxes for cracks common for them to start cracking if on slicks at the strip all the time see if it's got subframe connecters saves you some money lol Check the frame rails down by the headers they like to rot floors are known for it to and just check the body lines and see how they Mach up but good lucky for 10gs you can get a really nice fox
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Buy a 89 notch back 5.0 25th year. I had one about 20 years ago. They were the fastest of the 5.0's back then lighter than the GT. It would be easy to build one up and keep it stock looking for an ultimate sleeper. Stroke the motor and FI for a nice 500whp and 2800 pounds. You will smoke ZR1 vettes and just about any stock factory car you come up against.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Gives me some knowledge on what to look for in a fox body. My wife is wanting a convertible, from what I've read, they are the heaviest? That being said, it will be a weekend cruiser. You know what they say, a happy wife is a happy life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Gives me some knowledge on what to look for in a fox body. My wife is wanting a convertible, from what I've read, they are the heaviest? That being said, it will be a weekend cruiser. You know what they say, a happy wife is a happy life!

Haha yes the convertible is the heaviest but probably the easiest one to find in really good shape and low kms most people don't drag a vert
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1389938883.752774.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	144889here's a 98 in Lubbock with only 13000 miles at 15000. Plus
deut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Not bad, a little out of my price range though. I won't have the cash in hand for another 30 days, so I'll be drooling until then.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Your punishing yourself I know lol

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You're not lying, I keep telling myself to quit looking until I have the cash in hand, but I can't stop!

Chris
Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

On an older car make sure to have a mechanic look at it I would

Old 01-18-2014, 03:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Stay away from the vert unless you buy a new one the old ones have terrible tops they leak have horrible road noise and are way more expensive go with the notch had one wish I still had it easy to fix easy to get parts for and cheap
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I hear what you're saying, but I'm in a pickle here. After finally convincing my wife to let me spend $10k on a "toy", when we have a kitchen and bath that need updating, was no small feat. She would like a vert, and I'm partial to fox bodies. One of us is going to have to sway to the other side. I did just buy her a '14 fully loaded Fusion, so I have a little leverage. Oh boy, the things us married guys do..........

Chris
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you really want a 5.0 I would seriously look at a 94/95 Cobra, doing some bolt ons and rolling with it. You get the 5.0, you get the updated body/interior, the fit/finish is much better and they are easier to find. They also don't command the prices you think. For your price range you can get a garage kept one in really nice shape if you look. Even the very nicest ones with 20-30k miles on them are not much higher than your $10k price point.

If you DO want a modular, I would find the nicest one I could and go with that. You will find New Edge 2Vs with stupid low mileage at your price point all day.

If you want a fox I'd start looking at all the online forum classifieds I could. The Corral is probably the best one for this. There is a black vert with mods you could probably get for $3k in Cali right now but it needs some work.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/must...g-gt-vert.html

That's just an example though.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ok. I'm going to be the voice of reason here Chris.
If you really want to make your wife happy, remodel the kitchen and bath.
It's a WAY better investment than buying an old convertible Mustang.
Then, later on, when you have your eye on the perfect car and she gives you any trouble at all, you can point to HER beautiful kitchen and bath, and remind her of the sacrifices that you made.

It's all about leverage...

I like that notchback Fox, by the way!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Ok. I'm going to be the voice of reason here Chris.
If you really want to make your wife happy, remodel the kitchen and bath.
It's a WAY better investment than buying an old convertible Mustang.
Then, later on, when you have your eye on the perfect car and she gives you any trouble at all, you can point to HER beautiful kitchen and bath, and remind her of the sacrifices that you made.

It's all about leverage...

I like that notchback Fox, by the way!
Honestly might be the best advice here. If you aren't a 1 car family right now why not sell what you are driving daily and pick up a nice New Edge for $8k and make it your DD?

Plus cooking in a remodeled kitchen and having a nice hot shower in a remodeled one is nice vs a tub and some tile. I need to redo my tub...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

We have two vehicles now, my wife's new Fusion and I have a 2006 Tacoma. My plan is to keep the truck as my daily driver and buy a mustang to tinker with. You guys definitely got me thinking. I don't want to give up on a mustang totally, so maybe I'll find one a little cheaper and still have some money for kitchen/bath updates. I thought about selling or trading the Tacoma, but I hate not having a truck. I like the idea of a 94/95 cobra, I've found several in the $7k range. I'm going to do some figuring on my finances, I might be able to make us both happy!
I do appreciate the voices of reason, and the advice.

Chris
Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Voice of reason and marriage
You will never understand women because they keep changing the rules
It does pay off dividends to put your family first and believe it or not the remodeling of a kitchen may or may not be a 1 wY ticket to marital bliss
While buying a car or motorcycle without your spouse being ok with it would guarantee a nite in the doghouse and years of being reminded of it but it really does seem to me that my wife appreciates the small things that I do
Like making her coffee
Going the extra me to provide doing whatever it takes to prove she's number 1
Unless she's into cars herself the car opportunity will have little appeal but you can try to excel in ways that perhaps you currently do not think is importantof the most important being more conscious of her needs than you're needs and waiting for that perfect moment to spring into action
With my recent purchase I had to believe that what I needed to happen would happen and when it finally happened I called and said hey I'm here at the dealership you know how I've been trying to get them to find me lower interest rates and thousands of dollars of rebates are included
I'll take on extra work to help pay the payments so what do you say
If it's meant to be
All will go well if not give it time don't give up .

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390112774.617311.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	145080
Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I've made it sound a little worse than it is. My wife is not against me getting a mustang, heck, she's been helping me look. That was part of the deal when she got the new car. She got the new one before this one also, so this time it was suppose to be me getting the new vehicle. I agreed to let her get the new one this time, and in turn I could get a mustang. She is into cars, and said she is looking forward to cruising with the top down.

Chris
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
Road Trip!

I have an amazing wife... 3 years ago when I bought my V6... I told her about this nice looking candy red V6. She proceeded to tell me, take me to the dealership and show me the car. I dove it home the same night. Then the MT~82 started acting up the last 6 months I owned it. She new I was not happy. About 4 months after having the ISB done I told her about the 5.0 liter in the show room and she said let's go look at it. She told me Paul you work hard for your money if you want it, get it!!! I love my wife. She likes my GT way more than the 6er. Because when I'm on American Muscle she does not say. now what are you getting. Now it is, what are you buying for the GT and she gives input on the mod I'm looking at. I love my wife!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Everybody has different priorities for instance we had to cram a baby seat in back seat a toddler and teenager to get to Our destination this morning being my second mustang and being the one to choose 4 other vehicles certainly qualifies her for a vehicle of her dreAms I'm going to make it happen for her I too love my wife with all my being and want her desires fulfilled Im blessed that she agreed me have what I've wanted not just 1nce but over and over
Ccroy
I wasn't thinking it was difficult for you just understand the challenge associated with marriage and issue of finances can be tough my first vehicle I bought without even telling her
90 something Nissan truck and I've also showed up on a Harley 1 time

Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Y'all are either very lucky or expert at choosing the perfect spouses for yourselves.

You guys are AWESOME!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Y'all are either very lucky or expert at choosing the perfect spouses for yourselves.

You guys are AWESOME!!!

My wife chose me. LOL
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #27
Road Trip!

You guys are lucky. My chick can be a real ***** sometimes

Lol

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Cool horsey I'm sure we've all had those moment or years after 18 years it gets interesting or the opposite happens
I'm glad it s. The first for us
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a mustang that I've got my eye on. Would anyone like to take a look at it, and give me some opinions? Anything jump out at you? http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4284808048.html

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

That looks like one clean Fox... NICE!!!

I suppose that the only thing that jumps out at me is the "firm" price...
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Way too much money. Its nice but not THAT nice. Then again, where can you find one this clean these days? I wouldn't pay that much but I would keep an eye on it and see if the price drops.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

He's had it on here for over a month, and has dropped the price down from $8900. The price seems to be comparable to a few others I've seen in similar condition. I really like the fact that it's all stock, a blank canvas for me to begin with. I'm going to keep watching, and maybe go take a look. Not sure how much interest he's had in it, being a convertible.

Chris
Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
He's had it on here for over a month, and has dropped the price down from $8900. The price seems to be comparable to a few others I've seen in similar condition. I really like the fact that it's all stock, a blank canvas for me to begin with. I'm going to keep watching, and maybe go take a look. Not sure how much interest he's had in it, being a convertible.

Chris

You want it? Flash 70 century notes in his face he'll bite.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah if you show up with $7k in cash I bet you can get it. Hell I'd start at the $6500 mark showing cash. I still think the best find is the rarer and rarer 4 banger stanger some old person had to go to the store/lodge/restaurant with like 80k on it and totally clean. Take that body, find a beat up donor 5.0, swap everything and boom. Or just build the 2.3L and be a somewhat unique and individual snowflake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion