Another Cai question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Another Cai question

I just bought a 2013 mca v6 premium and had a few questions. Does anyone run a k&n Cai? It seems like airaid and jlt are the big companies not sure if one is actually better than the other or if it's all personal preference. Not a monster budget but I'm really into bracket racing just trying to see if anyone has raced and got somewhat consistent times. Any information is helpful at this point in time thanks.
CFYA2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It's definitely preference. But truthfully they are mostly under the hood eye candy. None will give you a great boost in gains. I will say that I have a Steeda and that's the only one that's tune required. More suck for your buck....lol Out side of that, it's all just preference with the main hitters being JLT which I use to have and Airaid like you said.

The question is what mods do you already have done. If you're racing, I would go tune and gears first. Then maybe some shorty headers(my preference) after that. Then I would probably lower it after that. Save the CAI for a eye candy mod down the road if you are strictly looking for performance gains
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It is just bone stock only about 1400 miles so far. I'm not looking to set any records just consistency really. It's my daily driver, are the gears worth it? Like if I went from my 2.73s to like 3.73s or even 3.55s is it that noticeable? Does gas mileage plummet as a result or is it minor?
CFYA2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have 3.55 gear on mine and it's a lot more noticeable. Better pull from start(low end). As far as the gas mileage it all depends on how you drive. After you stop putting your foot in it after the mod you can get some decent mileage. I live In the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns. I still get about 22mpg city. About 26 mpg on the hwy, but I do about 85mph. I hear people with my gear set up getting 30+ doing 65mph on cruise control
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFYA2818 View Post
I just bought a 2013 mca v6 premium and had a few questions. Does anyone run a k&n Cai? It seems like airaid and jlt are the big companies not sure if one is actually better than the other or if it's all personal preference. Not a monster budget but I'm really into bracket racing just trying to see if anyone has raced and got somewhat consistent times. Any information is helpful at this point in time thanks.
I have the Airraid CAI and completely love it. My favorite is the sound the CAI makes when WOT and the air sucking down into the intake. Its sweet music..I think a CAI works best with a tune and full exhaust system such as headers , high flow mid pipe , or off road mid pipe and a set of sweet axle backs. Well worth the money !
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
It's definitely preference. But truthfully they are mostly under the hood eye candy. None will give you a great boost in gains. I will say that I have a Steeda and that's the only one that's tune required. More suck for your buck....lol Out side of that, it's all just preference with the main hitters being JLT which I use to have and Airaid like you said.

The question is what mods do you already have done. If you're racing, I would go tune and gears first. Then maybe some shorty headers(my preference) after that. Then I would probably lower it after that. Save the CAI for a eye candy mod down the road if you are strictly looking for performance gains

I'm almost certain that JLT CAI's are tune required also, and the Airraid Race CAI is tune requires.

OP, concentrate on his suggestions, they are good ones.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm interested in the K&N CAI as well, mostly because I'm trying to avoid the standard intake honk of having an open air filter while gaining a little power over the stock airbox setup.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I'm almost certain that JLT CAI's are tune required also, and the Airraid Race CAI is tune requires. OP, concentrate on his suggestions, they are good ones.
For the 3.7 the JLT & Airaid don't require a tune!
OP. Just a CAI alone won't do much. Like kona said it'll work best with other mods but IMO if u want more consistency go with a tune that's the best bang for buck 1st mod!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai