Washing engine bay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Washing engine bay

I was just wondering the different ways people use to wash there engine bay.
MasonStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonStacks View Post
I was just wondering the different ways people use to wash there engine bay.
What I do is with the motor running and warmed up, not hot (like after all day of driving but like a drive to the car wash), leave it running, turn on the degreaser on the pressure washer, lightly spray the motor in a swaying motion with out squeezing the trigger, unless a nasty spot needs it (but it don't spray hard on degreaser) the with the motor running let it continue running for a couple min with the degreaser on it, then switch pressure washer to rinse, and be careful! just wave the wand over the engine rinsing it off WITHOUT pulling the trigger just do that until all the dirt/degreaser is cleaned of and take it for a little drive to let the water dry off from the fan and heat, because sitting water is bad. Then you can use armor all the shine parts up if you want after. and if you have a cai filter that is open in the engine bay, you'll have to cover it with a bag or something, just don't squeeze the trigger on rinse! you can you a cloth to wipe hard spots to! This is what I do on the stang and the truck, just no sitting water, leave motor running, and don't pull that trigger, and let it dry with a little cruise.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I would strongly discourage using a pressure washer, or any hose to wash off a modern engine. Many have done this, some with no ill effects, but others have poor running after doing this. There are electrical sensors under the hood, that if they get wet, they can cause idle problems, through codes, and make it a nightmare to troubleshoot.

I use a bottle of 409 and paper towels to wipe down any serious dirt in the engine bay. To keep it all at hand, I wipe it all down once a month with a seperate rag after the car gets a wash.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
What I do is with the motor running and warmed up, not hot (like after all day of driving but like a drive to the car wash), leave it running, turn on the degreaser on the pressure washer, lightly spray the motor in a swaying motion with out squeezing the trigger, unless a nasty spot needs it (but it don't spray hard on degreaser) the with the motor running let it continue running for a couple min with the degreaser on it, then switch pressure washer to rinse, and be careful! just wave the wand over the engine rinsing it off WITHOUT pulling the trigger just do that until all the dirt/degreaser is cleaned of and take it for a little drive to let the water dry off from the fan and heat, because sitting water is bad. Then you can use armor all the shine parts up if you want after. and if you have a cai filter that is open in the engine bay, you'll have to cover it with a bag or something, just don't squeeze the trigger on rinse! you can you a cloth to wipe hard spots to! This is what I do on the stang and the truck, just no sitting water, leave motor running, and don't pull that trigger, and let it dry with a little cruise.
and try not to continuously spray in one spot, just do the waving motion.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I would strongly discourage using a pressure washer, or any hose to wash off a modern engine. Many have done this, some with no ill effects, but others have poor running after doing this. There are electrical sensors under the hood, that if they get wet, they can cause idle problems, through codes, and make it a nightmare to troubleshoot.

I use a bottle of 409 and paper towels to wipe down any serious dirt in the engine bay. To keep it all at hand, I wipe it all down once a month with a seperate rag after the car gets a wash.
but that's the fun part jk...I understand what your saying, I was just telling him what I do/have done for years on 4-5 diff vehicles. I've done your technique too which works also
Old 01-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Washing engine bay

Thanks for the ideas guys! Anyone else have different ways they clean there engine bay?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Don't spray, just wipe... Coils, alternator, battery, fuse box. All this stuff you don't want to get wet.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I pressure wash away. Use a foam degreaser if needed also. Have done so for over 25 years on everything from Jeeps to Jaguars with no issues. Worst problem I ever encountered was getting a distributer wet on a 66 Chrysler. Had to dry it out and it was fine.
People think water will kill everything in ur engine bay. Just driving in rain on the freeway here in Florida gets more water in ur engine bay than a pressure washer.
Hell, i pressure wash my 2010 Wrangler's dash and seats!
To each is own.
Troy
Btw, I would be careful letting the soap/degreaser dry on a running engine...that will leave permanent spot stains on some plastics.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
I pressure wash away. Use a foam degreaser if needed also. Have done so for over 25 years on everything from Jeeps to Jaguars with no issues. Worst problem I ever encountered was getting a distributer wet on a 66 Chrysler. Had to dry it out and it was fine.
People think water will kill everything in ur engine bay. Just driving in rain on the freeway here in Florida gets more water in ur engine bay than a pressure washer.
Hell, i pressure wash my 2010 Wrangler's dash and seats!
To each is own.
Troy
Btw, I would be careful letting the soap/degreaser dry on a running engine...that will leave permanent spot stains on some plastics.
Does depend on the car a bit... I know with the 99-04 Mustang GTs with the COPs there have been many cases of water leaking through the COP and down to the spark plug.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I would avoid high pressure only because it can force water into areas that aren't supposed to get wet.

I've been using this method for years with no issues

Step 1. Make sure the engine is ice cold before starting.

You want it cool since there is a slight possibility that you can crack the engine block by throwing cold water on it.

Step 2. Cover fuse box, battery, distributor cap, air intake, and I cover the alternator as well. Plastic bags work well

Step 3. I spray the entire bay with simple green and then lightly brush with a soft brush or old rag.

Step 4. Lightly rinse, I hold the hose at an angle off to the side, keeping the nozzle on the lowest setting.

Step 5. Pull off plastic bags a little water might get onto those areas , but just wipe it up, and you'll be fine.

Step 6: Dry the bay with towels or forced air dryer (a leaf lower will work as long as the tube is clean)

At this point you have 2 options leave it alone, or dress it up to your liking! I like to use SprayWay instant shine it looks great, and it doesn't attract dust.

Note: I usually do the engine first when detailing a car, it's not mandatory, but I don't love the job enough to go back and clean the overspray up.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the options guys, really appreciate it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion