Two Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Two Questions

Hello

New owner of a 2011 V-6 Convertible.

1. Driveshaft- Does it need to be replaced if I am just driving around town and on the interstate at maybe 80--85 max? Ok I may punch it sometimes?

2. I installed a K&N drop in filter to the stock filter box. I think the CAI kits look good but are they a must have?

First road trip in the Mustang this weekend and I am ready to hit the road.

K

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ur driveshaft is fine for DD & staying under 113mph.
An aftermarket CAI will give u minimal gains without a tune. Even with a tune it won't make too much of a difference.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Two Questions

The whole drive shaft thing kills me yes should you get a new one yes but going over 120 one time will not make your car explode. I do 125+ on a daily basis and my stock has yet to give out. Sure let the nay Sayers begin but do what you feel you and your wallet can handle . Figure I will add I live in Germany so also do what your laws allow to
armymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymustang View Post
The whole drive shaft thing kills me yes should you get a new one yes but going over 120 one time will not make your car explode. I do 125+ on a daily basis and my stock has yet to give out. Sure let the nay Sayers begin but do what you feel you and your wallet can handle

Soooooo.

You track your car every day?

Right? You wouldn't possibly admit or condone driving reckless on public roads? Riiiiiiiiggghhhhhttt?

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey my bad I live in Germany bro forgot to add
Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Two Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Soooooo.

You track your car every day?

Right? You wouldn't possibly admit or condone driving reckless on public roads? Riiiiiiiiggghhhhhttt?

I love your response btw do you play jumping to conclusions often
Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I added a caveat at the end so as to make other aware. And then replied to your statement with an answer as to why I legally go that fast. So I think we are done here
Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
From what I have read on this or another forum

2011 and 2012 and some early 2013's have a different part # then later 2013;s and later. That means Ford must have made an improvement in the newer drive shafts. They look the same but who knows what they did different?
Keith lives in Germany and can drive as fast as he wants on the AutoBohn. I live in Florida and can also go as fast as I want but will get a ticket if over the speed limit.
I asked Santa for a drive shaft for Christmas but didn't get it.
Top is one piece aluminum-Bottom is stock 2012 drive shaft

What I don't need is this !
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if they upgraded or I'm just lucky but it's my next thing to buy
Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've seen a video on YouTube of someone hitting 135 in a 2011 V6, and the driveshaft breaks. It will happen.

But no, you do not need one unless you live in Germany and/or have a tune that removes the electronic speed limiter (which will prevent the car from reaching a critical speed). Many tunes leave the limiter intact anyway. No need for it for a DD.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

armymustang, ye be warned. You're asking for a failure if you're cruising at 120+ daily.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 01-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You say it will because the video shows it ? I don't understand your thoughts?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think Ford put a speed limiter on it just for kicks? Lol
Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I love your response btw do you play jumping to conclusions often

I'm trying to keep you from getting banned in the first few conversations on this site as the rules/mods are quite
Strict.

But please... Carry on.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
2011 and 2012 and some early 2013's have a different part # then later 2013;s and later. That means Ford must have made an improvement in the newer drive shafts. They look the same but who knows what they did different?
Keith lives in Germany and can drive as fast as he wants on the AutoBohn. I live in Florida and can also go as fast as I want but will get a ticket if over the speed limit.
I asked Santa for a drive shaft for Christmas but didn't get it.
Top is one piece aluminum-Bottom is stock 2012 drive shaft

What I don't need is this !
Ronnie

I got a '14 and it still has the same "failure-prone" driveshaft. Done countless hours of searching and reading from what i can see they didnt update or upgrade it.
Although i'm disappointed im not worried.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No need to be concerned with me getting banned worry about yourself I just tend to not go with the flow and be the objector. If speaking your mind in a professional manner results in being banned then so be it.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

To add I will be replacing it there's no question about it, until then il let you guys know if and when it fails. I'm not on some path of destruction I just choose to do things my way.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I've seen a video on YouTube of someone hitting 135 in a 2011 V6, and the driveshaft breaks. It will happen.

But no, you do not need one unless you live in Germany and/or have a tune that removes the electronic speed limiter (which will prevent the car from reaching a critical speed). Many tunes leave the limiter intact anyway. No need for it for a DD.

I saw an idiot with long tube headers and just exhaust work. Sounded horrible and as far as I can tell by his videos, just stupid college kids. Anyway he took his stock shaft to 160 and pinned it for about 3 seconds. Check engine light buzzed and the car vibrated. It's one of those things that yes it can happen. But will you try it? I personally won't. I've learned to slow down due to tickets.

If you're going like alrefire, he will have Shelby numbers on his v6 and needs a one piece or the torque alone will snap the shaft.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
I got a '14 and it still has the same "failure-prone" driveshaft. Done countless hours of searching and reading from what i can see they didnt update or upgrade it.
Although i'm disappointed im not worried.

The lower picture looks like mine. Those two up top, well, look nothing like mine (2011) or my neighbors (2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The one one the top picture with the one piece

That is a late model 2013 up . The Bottom picture is a broken one off of a 2012. It is exactly what the one on my car looks like. It broke on a dyno.

I personally will buy the one piece aluminum one if I ever get enough $$$$ together.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That famous video of the exploding driveshaft had to have 3.55s (or maybe 3.73s

I've got 3.55s and a 26.5" tire (so my Rpms are slightly higher than if I had stock tire height)
Mine vibrates at 130 mph.

Before anyone starts complaining about speeding and blah blah blah
I was at "Mexico" or "Germany" (no offense intended to the other fellow from Germany!)
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Why in the flying **** would ford put a 2 piece driveshaft? What possible benefits could there be to this? And I'm sure it costs more to make than a two piece as well

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Two Questions

That pic of the driveshafts is wrong . That's a 5.0 driveshaft. The one that is mangled is a 3.7 but it is a completely different shaft. The talk about driveshaft part numbers is not correct either. They are all the same. Someone posted the change of parts and what a dealer claimed but it's false info that seems to always be brought up. I have a one piece in mine but only changed it out because of a gear upgrade and the plan for a blower very soon. I didn't change it in fear of failing but because I got a deal from a friend who removed it when returning his car to stock so he could trade in. The main reason I would swap in a one piece shaft if you had the money is because it does make the car feel much more smoother and takes a lot of clunk and slop out of the driveline. Very few failures. I have only heard of one or two and one video makes everyone paranoid. It would be a definite recall if these were failing and the majority of 11/14 mustangs on the road are 3.7's.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Why in the flying **** would ford put a 2 piece driveshaft? What possible benefits could there be to this? And I'm sure it costs more to make than a two piece as well
To cut down on NVH.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
That famous video of the exploding driveshaft had to have 3.55s (or maybe 3.73s

I've got 3.55s and a 26.5" tire (so my Rpms are slightly higher than if I had stock tire height)
Mine vibrates at 130 mph.

Before anyone starts complaining about speeding and blah blah blah
I was at "Mexico" or "Germany" (no offense intended to the other fellow from Germany!)

No offense taken I'm in the states right now I feel bad for all mustangs. On my way to the airport on Frankfurt I had the cruise control set to 110 in 6th and still got 20mpg for 189 miles gotta love the v6
Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No offense taken I'm in the states right now I feel bad for all mustangs. On my way to the airport on Frankfurt I had the cruise control set to 110 in 6th and still got 20mpg for 189 miles gotta love the v6

Heck yea!!!
I get 19 mpg @ 100 with 3.55s and 26.5" tires
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion