what's with the S197 torque? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
what's with the S197 torque?

Hey guys n gals. I just upgraded from a new edge to a s197 gt(06). I noticed right away the torque difference. It seems like my new edge threw me back in my seat more. The s197 has a smoother punch to it. Is it just me?????
99NewEdgeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NewEdgeGT View Post
Hey guys n gals. I just upgraded from a new edge to a s197 gt(06). I noticed right away the torque difference. It seems like my new edge threw me back in my seat more. The s197 has a smoother punch to it. Is it just me?????

I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Anyway.. It's because you downgraded to a 3v, man! Haha. In all reality though the torque curve on a stock 3v versus a stock 2v is different. The 3v is more even and linear through the rpm range while the 2v starts at like 3600-4000rpm and falls on it's face at like 5300.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
There are a few factors that come into play.

First I would bet there is a big difference with weight (assuming both cars have the same rear gears). The NE is going to be lighter than the 3v (body wise, the actual 3v engine is lighter due to the block).

Keep in mind the design. 2 big valves like the 4.6 2v and old pushrods have will generate more torque than say 3 mid sized valves or 4 small valves, the 3 mid sized valves of the 3v will create more midrange while the 4 small valves of the 4.6 4v and 5.0 Coyote are going to create more horsepower. You can see that in the numbers alone. The 2v creates 260HP/305TQ, the 3v creates 300HP/320TQ. Already you notice the 2v has a bigger difference between torque and horsepower where the 3v has a good amount more horsepower but the difference in torque is not so much. Now move to the 4 small valves of the 4.6 4v or the 5.0 Coyote you see 420HP/390TQ (Coyote), it moved away from more torque like the previous models and to more Horsepower.

Thats why if you want overall grunt down low you need to go with something that has 2 big valves rather than 3 or 4 smaller ones. That combined with the smaller body of the New Edge you are going to fell more of a kick.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Anyway.. It's because you downgraded to a 3v, man! Haha. In all reality though the torque curve on a stock 3v versus a stock 2v is different. The 3v is more even and linear through the rpm range while the 2v starts at like 3600-4000rpm and falls on it's face at like 5300.
Unless you have the Awesome Bullitt intake!! It will give you power past the redline, unlike most other intakes. Which is why when I upgrade cams i'm going to bump my redline up a bit.

HID end all thread
Old 01-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
@Soccerluvr4: Despite us being the same age (I've been around on these forums way longer than my registry date, I'm not a stalker haha), you know way more ab cars than I do, not fair...

OP, sounds like he answered your question spot-on.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
@Soccerluvr4: Despite us being the same age (I've been around on these forums way longer than my registry date, I'm not a stalker haha), you know way more ab cars than I do, not fair...

OP, sounds like he answered your question spot-on.

Haha thanks. A lot of that I got a while back from my friend who happens to be the Admin for the LS Nation page on Facebook. Just absorb info over time.

HID end all thread
Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Unless you have the Awesome Bullitt intake!! It will give you power past the redline, unlike most other intakes. Which is why when I upgrade cams i'm going to bump my redline up a bit.

*rolls eyes*
It's also way heavier than a GT intake
Not much more power, and if your throttle cable snaps your **** out of luck because it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to get a new one (literally!)

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
*rolls eyes*
It's also way heavier than a GT intake
Not much more power, and if your throttle cable snaps your **** out of luck because it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to get a new one (literally!)

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
Throttle cable is the same as the 96-98 Cobra so its not too hard to find. Yes it is a bit heavier, but don't just look at peak power, it has been proven to make much better power through the entire rpm band than the regular PI intake. I went to the strip against a regular GT same year, both of our cars were stock and i put multiple car lengths between us, and that was the very first time I ever raced.

HID end all thread
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Op it could have a lot to do with the gear's in the car.
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« 1st 2015 | Update! »