CAI no tune - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08shelbyguy View Post
It is a shelby

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

The tuners were impressed as much as I was.
I suppose thats why you picked up so much extra HP, or maybe your Shelby is a freak of nature!.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390522346.375516.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	145509
08shelbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno tuned several times to get all the power from the blower. Up to 16lbs of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I'll try to explain exactly what a CAI does without a tune.

[science]

Cold air is more dense than warm air. More oxygen can fit inside the same quantity of air if it is cooler. A CAI is supposed to be able to provide the engine with cooler air at a quicker rate than the stock air box. (However, modern air boxes provide cool air the the engines already). At any rate, when a CAI carries the cooler, denser air into each cylinder, more oxygen is being sucked into each cylinder on their intake stroke. If you tune the ECU to provide more fuel on the intake stroke, then the higher quantity of air and fuel will create more horsepower. However, without a tune, the engine will not get any more fuel then it was before you installed the CAI. Thus, the cooler air with more oxygen in it is being compressed and ignited with the same amount of fuel in it, creating roughly the same amount of power as before. Thus, very little if any extra horsepower will be created with a CAI and no tune.

However, a CAI could tentatively improve throttle response. By providing a shorter, wider, less restrictive passage for the air to move through, the air should get to the engine faster, and power can be created slightly faster. This is assuming, however, that the stock air box is restrictive, which it is not. It's also assuming that the throttle body isn't significantly smaller in diameter that the CAI, which it usually is. This creates pressure and slows the air, thus keeping throttle response right where it was before.

[/science]

I think there's a little more to it than that. If you were to add more air to the cylinders without adding more fuel, you'd progressively lean out the air/fuel ratio which would provide more power, although that comes with its own problems (see stoichiometry). Therefore, I believe the either fuel system has to be delivering more fuel, else you'd have a bunch of people complaining about how CAI seized their engine, or the engine isn't taking in that much more air. The AFM monitors the amount of air entering the intake manifold and the fuel amount is adjusted accordingly. Perhaps the CAI, although less restrictive, doesn't flow much better in terms of CFM than the stock box?
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08shelbyguy View Post
It is a shelby

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

The tuners were impressed as much as I was.
Damn, brain fart on the Shelby aspect! That makes more sense. I wasn't necessarily doubting you, I was just curious to see where the 67 HP increase was, but never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
I never said nothing about a Steeda drop in filter.....I was talking bout K&N. Are those dyno results with that K&N your dyno results or theirs?
You may want to re-read my post.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

It's crazy but I never beat on the car.
Started at 430 to the wheels and jumped to 580hp and 600 tq. Great bolt on build
Old 01-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuvool View Post
I think there's a little more to it than that. If you were to add more air to the cylinders without adding more fuel, you'd progressively lean out the air/fuel ratio which would provide more power, although that comes with its own problems (see stoichiometry). Therefore, I believe the either fuel system has to be delivering more fuel, else you'd have a bunch of people complaining about how CAI seized their engine, or the engine isn't taking in that much more air. The AFM monitors the amount of air entering the intake manifold and the fuel amount is adjusted accordingly. Perhaps the CAI, although less restrictive, doesn't flow much better in terms of CFM than the stock box?

Ughhh, I was typing a reply to your post and was almost done then my app crashed. Lol I'm not re-typing it all because I'm at work. But I mostly agree.

Here's an interesting video by some Aussies about CAIs. Seems pretty damning to me.

2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Wow... interesting.

Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Entertaining vid. It proves that the factory air box isn't restrictive on a Skyline, either due to its design or due to the fact that it's running forced induction and the turbo is able to provide the boost level set by the boost controller. I wonder how that translates to naturally aspirated 4.6 or 5.0 engines though. I'm still thinking the same thought that I initially had (should I tag with chemistry?) which is that if there were more air going in, there would have to be more fuel or you'd run into problems, so either there isn't more air going in or there's more power.

CAI's do look really nice though
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuvool View Post
Entertaining vid. It proves that the factory air box isn't restrictive on a Skyline, either due to its design or due to the fact that it's running forced induction and the turbo is able to provide the boost level set by the boost controller. I wonder how that translates to naturally aspirated 4.6 or 5.0 engines though. I'm still thinking the same thought that I initially had (should I tag with chemistry?) which is that if there were more air going in, there would have to be more fuel or you'd run into problems, so either there isn't more air going in or there's more power.

CAI's do look really nice though

My money says there isn't more air going in.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Ughhh, I was typing a reply to your post and was almost done then my app crashed. Lol I'm not re-typing it all because I'm at work. But I mostly agree.

Here's an interesting video by some Aussies about CAIs. Seems pretty damning to me.

I've seen this video before. It is interesting and those guys can be somewhat funny.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai