CAI no tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
CAI no tune

Ok guys... I've read tons of posts about whether adding a CAI actually does anything... especially without a tune. My only problem is... how can the manufacturers claim the gains. I dont want a tune due to my warranty (possibly considering the Ford Racing ProCal) but Airaid's CAI for the 5.0 has a version with or without the tune and the one without still claims hp gains. How is this possible?
Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Don't buy a CAI. Look at Jay Leno's interview about Boss 302. Ford engineer said there is no difference between stock and aftermarket. If you want a tune get the ford pro cal.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I watched that video a while back when I first joinedthis forum. I know he's the Mustang Chief Engineer but I'm sure that also meanshe's bias as well. I wish people would test it without the tune on a dyno so wecan get a real reading but I'm guessing its expensive to do multiple dyno runs.

To further add to my point about the Engineer being bias...if you download the mustang parts catalog there is several pages devoted to theProCal tune and why it’s better than all the other ones, claiming they providethe best balance between hp gains and engine conservation. This could be absolutelytrue, but then again, it could be propaganda used to get me to use the Fordtune instead of someone else’s. In my case I bought the extended warrantybecause this was my first time owning a mustang and first time owning a brandnew car. With that in mind I don't want to do anything to void my warranty andit feels almost like I'm trapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I installed the tune on my 14' gt the first two weeks I had owned it . Lol just remember that the dealerships have to prove that the tube caused the issue. Get yourself some bmr lca and Michelin pilot tires and enjoy your Stang instead.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yeah you're probably right... thanks!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'll try to explain exactly what a CAI does without a tune.

[science]

Cold air is more dense than warm air. More oxygen can fit inside the same quantity of air if it is cooler. A CAI is supposed to be able to provide the engine with cooler air at a quicker rate than the stock air box. (However, modern air boxes provide cool air the the engines already). At any rate, when a CAI carries the cooler, denser air into each cylinder, more oxygen is being sucked into each cylinder on their intake stroke. If you tune the ECU to provide more fuel on the intake stroke, then the higher quantity of air and fuel will create more horsepower. However, without a tune, the engine will not get any more fuel then it was before you installed the CAI. Thus, the cooler air with more oxygen in it is being compressed and ignited with the same amount of fuel in it, creating roughly the same amount of power as before. Thus, very little if any extra horsepower will be created with a CAI and no tune.

However, a CAI could tentatively improve throttle response. By providing a shorter, wider, less restrictive passage for the air to move through, the air should get to the engine faster, and power can be created slightly faster. This is assuming, however, that the stock air box is restrictive, which it is not. It's also assuming that the throttle body isn't significantly smaller in diameter that the CAI, which it usually is. This creates pressure and slows the air, thus keeping throttle response right where it was before.

[/science]
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That makes perfect sense. Thanks sixbanger!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Lol of course! Sorry it was a little long-winded. But it's all fairly straightforward. No idea why there's so much back and forth about CAIs sometimes.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Its all the false ads out... its hard not get excited over added hp when its dripping off every new part ad

2013 GTCS Sterling Grey 3.73 gears Elenor Louvers Roush Axlebacks

Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not all cold air intakes require a tune. The ones that do not require a tune provide a little less restriction freeing up some power. The ones that do have a much larger MAF and take in so much more air that it is absolutely necessary to have a tune or the car will run lean.
steedamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
CAI no tune

In regards to your extended warranty and being cautious about a tune...

Maybe I'm not understanding the details of TSB 11-07-07 but if I had a 2011-2012 5.0 and was concerned about my warranty, I don't think I'd consider a tune either. Steeda mentions on their website that your warranty is safe with Steeda. Maybe Steedamatt could comment on the TSB which seems to be a response to #8 issues?

Here's a PDF of the TSB stating if Ford detects a tune was installed on a 2011-2012 5.0 the warranty is at risk. Again if I'm reading it wrong please correct me.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/a...sb11-07-07.pdf
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It is an effect from the #8 issues. It makes mention on knock sensor changes. Some tuners were making them less sensitive or turning them off. We have never removed any safety features or changed them as you can see we have never had a #8 issue. The tsb was fords way of saying they would not pay for that issue.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
In regards to your extended warranty and being cautious about a tune...

Maybe I'm not understanding the details of TSB 11-07-07 but if I had a 2011-2012 5.0 and was concerned about my warranty, I don't think I'd consider a tune either. Steeda mentions on their website that your warranty is safe with Steeda. Maybe Steedamatt could comment on the TSB which seems to be a response to #8 issues?

Here's a PDF of the TSB stating if Ford detects a tune was installed on a 2011-2012 5.0 the warranty is at risk. Again if I'm reading it wrong please correct me.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/a...sb11-07-07.pdf

Wow... great information. I never even knew these TSB documents existed. Where can we find these in the future. I have a '13 but its a 5.0 so I'm sure its subject to the same concerns. Thanks for putting this info out.

Heres why I'm concerned about the warranty. I started having issues getting into 5th gear. It would grind unless I held the clutch for about a full second before sliding it into 5th (when shifting up from 4th), when I was in 6th there was nothing I could do to get it to get into 5th so I would just skip it. I posted about it and of course everyone started commenting about people who can't shift properly, but Ford Customer Service messaged me and advised me to take it in to Ford and they'd escalate the issue.

Turns out something was wrong with the spacers between my 2nd and 5th gear. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know all the details but the problem was covered 100 percent through warranty. So this could have turned out extremely expensive for me if Ford had associated a freakin tune as the reason for the failing gears so to me its almost not worth it.

The Airaid CAI offers a tunable and no tune version and I was looking at that but several people on the forums feel its a waste of time without a tune. I was also considering getting the Ford's ProCal tune to save my warranty. Probably the route I'm going to go but I have 420 engine hp so I'm going to save up and get my wheels I want before playing with the engine... seems like a never ending story if I decide to start with the engine.

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedamatt View Post
It is an effect from the #8 issues. It makes mention on knock sensor changes. Some tuners were making them less sensitive or turning them off. We have never removed any safety features or changed them as you can see we have never had a #8 issue. The tsb was fords way of saying they would not pay for that issue.

Thanks for the info Matt...
Which tuners will you recommend?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

We only do SCT. They provide excellent support and with the new x4 coming out you cant go wrong!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty5.0 View Post
Ok guys... I've read tons of posts about whether adding a CAI actually does anything... especially without a tune. My only problem is... how can the manufacturers claim the gains. I dont want a tune due to my warranty (possibly considering the Ford Racing ProCal) but Airaid's CAI for the 5.0 has a version with or without the tune and the one without still claims hp gains. How is this possible?
Here is one that doesnt require a tune. Ive been thinking of getting this myself and it does offer 8hp increase over stock. Ive included a link to their website and a PDF showing their results over stock. At $308.00 its kinda pricey but Im sure you could find it cheaper on Amazon or eBay.

21-8122DC - AEM , AEM Cold Air Intake System direct from AEM

http://www.aemintakes.com/dynocharts...-8122_dyno.pdf
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Not sure if a user or users have covered this type of information yet, but here's my post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

Post too long? Just read the bold sections.

---

When I replaced the paper filter in my 2010 GT (has the new factory CAI) with a K&N filter, I got about 1-2 MPG increase city, and 3 MPG increase highway. The more responsive throttle (semi-noticeable) would be the "gain in power." Expect similar results with the BBK CAI.

"CAI 18+ HP on the dyno" etc. videos are how companies trick buyers and sell CAI's. They install the CAI, tune the car to perfectly compliment the CAI on a dynojet, and advertise it very slyly. The tune is providing most of the gains, while the CAI alone is only providing a small bump, WITH THE TUNE. For example (numbers are semi-made up for example purposes):

All Stock Mustang GT (with factory tune): 300 HP
All Stock Mustang GT + aftermarket tune: 320 HP <- aftermarket tune is 20+ HP

Mustang GT (with factory tune) + CAI: 305 HP <- CAI is 5+ HP (with factory tune)
Mustang GT + aftermarket tune + CAI: 330 HP <- CAI is 10+ HP, aftermarket tune is 20+ HP

So you see, this is how companies sell CAI's. If you read the fine print, the "18+ HP!" is only with an aftermarket tune. That's actually kind of poor, considering the JLT CAI's apparently provide ~31+ HP with a tune.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure if a user or users have covered this type of information yet, but here's my post from another thread:
If you look at the PDF on my last post the AEM Brand CAI doesnt include a tune for the extra 8hp, so I think 8 more HP for $300 is reasonable but im not sure you would feel a difference at all and I like the appearance of the AEM over the other brands...

I also wouldnt buy anything thats K&N because they fooled people for years making us think we were gaining 15hp just by installing one of their oiled air filters.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
I also wouldnt buy anything thats K&N because they fooled people for years making us think we were gaining 15hp just by installing one of their oiled air filters.

I have a friend that has a Toyota matrix, he swears that the K&N air filter gave his car 20HP, and 5 more MPG. Hah, ok.
Then he tried persuading several people how changing coils and MOVING(not changing) the CAI would result in more FUEL into the engine.(makes no sense even he he had said changing it). I've never laughed so hard.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I have a friend that has a Toyota matrix, he swears that the K&N air filter gave his car 20HP, and 5 more MPG. Hah, ok.
Then he tried persuading several people how changing coils and MOVING(not changing) the CAI would result in more FUEL into the engine.(makes no sense even he he had said changing it). I've never laughed so hard.
Dont quote me but ive heard those K&N Filters since they are oiled that the oil from them can be sucked into the intake and that causes problems.

I think your buddy with the Toyota is smoking something but K&N had people including myself for years that their air filters added 15hp...We got fooled.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

He is the typical ricer, most people in our senior class don't know a lot about cars, they know stuff like lift kits, lowering, exhaust, etc, the basics. A few of us actually know a decent or good amount about cars.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He is the typical ricer, most people in our senior class don't know a lot about cars, they know stuff like lift kits, lowering, exhaust, etc, the basics. A few of us actually know a decent or good amount about cars.
You need to get him out of that Toyota and into a Ford!...

I had some teenagers messing with me the other day at a stoplight, they had one of those Subaru WRX or something like that, there were 3 of them in the car and just me in my 5.0. I asked them if some eggrolls came with that Subaru....They didnt take that very well...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You need to get him out of that Toyota and into a Ford!...

I had some teenagers messing with me the other day at a stoplight, they had one of those Subaru WRX or something like that, there were 3 of them in the car and just me in my 5.0. I asked them if some eggrolls came with that Subaru....They didnt take that very well...

Hahaha. He's too far gone, that wouldn't happen. What's funny is that he wants to race me... I think I could fall asleep, then go, and still beat him on a drag strip.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha. He's too far gone, that wouldn't happen. What's funny is that he wants to race me... I think I could fall asleep, then go, and still beat him on a drag strip.
You got that right....
Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I don't buy K&N drop-in replacement filters for performance, I buy them to replace the paper filter that needs replacing every few months. The 5+ HP and 1-2+ MPG's are just "icing on the cake."

Apparently, if you oil a K&N filter too much, it can clog your MAF. Although, I haven't seen or read about any K&N filters coming out of the box so oiled that they started to clog the MAF.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't buy K&N drop-in replacement filters for performance, I buy them to replace the paper filter that need replacing every few months. The 5+ HP and 1-2+ MPG's are just "icing on the cake."

Apparently, if you oil a K&N filter too much, it can clog your MAF. Although, I haven't seen or read about any K&N filters coming out of the box so oiled that they started to clog the MAF.
I dont buy them at all anymore. And I very seriously doubt they even get an extra 5hp from anything including my riding mower....
Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dont buy them at all anymore. And I very seriously doubt they even get an extra 5hp from anything including my riding mower....
You may want to do more research next time bud...

This isn't a K&N filter, it's a Steeda drop-in filter, but essentially they are the same product (both oiled filters). The dyno results: 5.9+ HP and 5.5 TQ. Nothing to write home to mom about, but it's something and it's proven.

I also noticed a 1-2+ in MPG's city and just at 3.0 MPG's on the highway with my K&N filter. Plus the million-mile warranty, for $50, I'd say they're worth it.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I can't figure out how to paste the damn Thing with my phone but go to google an search: Tim Skelton- Ford Lightning "cold air kits haha". It's a fantastic read with dyno proven results on these things from where they plain suck to when and where they are actually beneficial. Of course these are on ford lightnings but nonetheless it's damn good info. Hope it helps!
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
A custom tune is always suggested. Call American muscle and order a bama tuner and they can email you a new tune as you do bolt ons. Just a tune and jlt carbon fiber intake gave me 67 hp. American muscle has sick tunes.
08shelbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08shelbyguy View Post
A custom tune is always suggested. Call American muscle and order a bama tuner and they can email you a new tune as you do bolt ons. Just a tune and jlt carbon fiber intake gave me 67 hp. American muscle has sick tunes.
67+ HP? I'd like to see your dyno sheet.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I will try to take a pic. If you subscribe to American muscle on you tube you will see my ride featured. They did a full bolt on and got a boat load of power. If you subscribe you will see. It went from 430 or so to the wheel to 580 hp and 600 ft lbs of tq. I happen to be the first car done. Just subscribe and stay tuned buddy

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

The sheets are still in my trunk. When the snow clears I'll grab em
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dont quote me but ive heard those K&N Filters since they are oiled that the oil from them can be sucked into the intake and that causes problems.

I think your buddy with the Toyota is smoking something but K&N had people including myself for years that their air filters added 15hp...We got fooled.

+1 I causes carbon deposits. Happened to me on a Denali SUV; had to pay to get it cleaned up .
Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You may want to do more research next time bud...

This isn't a K&N filter, it's a Steeda drop-in filter, but essentially they are the same product (both oiled filters). The dyno results: 5.9+ HP and 5.5 TQ. Nothing to write home to mom about, but it's something and it's proven.

I also noticed a 1-2+ in MPG's city and just at 3.0 MPG's on the highway with my K&N filter. Plus the million-mile warranty, for $50, I'd say they're worth it.

I never said nothing about a Steeda drop in filter.....I was talking bout K&N. Are those dyno results with that K&N your dyno results or theirs?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
67+ HP? I'd like to see your dyno sheet.
Yea 67hp gain would be outstanding but I think that dude has a Shelby, maybe they pickup more HP with a tune and CAI?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

It is a shelby

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

The tuners were impressed as much as I was.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai