performance vs esthetics - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
performance vs esthetics

I have a 13' GTCS, got it stock with the 3.73 gears... added some window louvers and a hood stripe decal and window tent. I've enjoyed the car over the past year and a half, now I'm thinking about putting some money into her.

I'm torn between upgrading my looks first or going straight for performance.

On the esthetics side of things, I want to lower it and put some custom wheels on her.

On the performance side of things, i want to put the BOSS 302 manifold, headers w/ x-pipe, CAI w/ tune, 4.10 gears, and short-throw shifter.

For you MOD kings out there... if you could do it all over again... what order would you spend your money???
Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Well we have different years so I can't with WHAT mods but..

My car got a couple of dings on the street within the first couple of months. So I said **** it and am doing only performance. Just deep cleans and washes

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Start with suspension. You get looks and performance gains. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, panhard bar, lcas, uca to start with. You will love the look of the drop, but will be able to hook and handle much better as well. Win win.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Well we have different years so I can't with WHAT mods but..

My car got a couple of dings on the street within the first couple of months. So I said **** it and am doing only performance. Just deep cleans and washes

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®

Funny you mention that cause I had to replace my windshield like 4 months after I got it cause a rock hit it while on the toll road. I was so pissed. I also have several little nicks here and there... nothing to bad but enought to drive you crazy. Good point on the performance piece, thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Start with suspension. You get looks and performance gains. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, panhard bar, lcas, uca to start with. You will love the look of the drop, but will be able to hook and handle much better as well. Win win.

I have to admit the more I read into it the more I really want to start working on the suspension like you said. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

^+1....Suspension, exhaust, engine performance, brakes and wheels.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
No problem man. Plus being a 13, if you start with suspension, you can keep that bumper to bumper warranty valid a while longer before you go diving into engine mods, tunes, and what not.

2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty5.0 View Post
I have a 13' GTCS, got it stock with the 3.73 gears... added some window louvers and a hood stripe decal and window tent. I've enjoyed the car over the past year and a half, now I'm thinking about putting some money into her.

I'm torn between upgrading my looks first or going straight for performance.

On the esthetics side of things, I want to lower it and put some custom wheels on her.

On the performance side of things, i want to put the BOSS 302 manifold, headers w/ x-pipe, CAI w/ tune, 4.10 gears, and short-throw shifter.

For you MOD kings out there... if you could do it all over again... what order would you spend your money???

I'm still in the process of modding the look of my car inside and out. The car is fast stock and I'm happy with it. As soon as I get the look the way I want it, then I will mod power for the look.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I am torn by the same question. Doing a couple lower priced mods for looks the tackle the suspension.
Te172r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te172r View Post
I am torn by the same question. Doing a couple lower priced mods for looks the tackle the suspension.

I know its crazy huh... I have a little cash set aside and I'm scared to spend it lol. I think I'm going to lower it and then get me some nicer wheels. I like the GTCS wheels I have but they are 19s and both 8.5in wide but I want to go up to 20s and get them staggard for the rear.

The wheels I'm looking at will cost me like $2100 with tires and rim mounted so hopefully in about 2 months I will be able to get them. I'm thinking about going ahead and lowering it since I should be able to get the springs for less than $500. Thing is, when I've saved up some cash its so hard to get me to pull the trigger and spend it cause this ish is expensive!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I understand. Lol I would make sure and get at least a pan hard bar if you lower it. Geometry will be off.
Te172r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te172r View Post
I understand. Lol I would make sure and get at least a pan hard bar if you lower it. Geometry will be off.

By about 3/8 to 1/2 to the driver side from stock with 1.5 to 2.0 drop.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd say short throw then suspension, it seems that a short throw really helps out with shifts on the newer stangs. Then go suspension which will allow you to put the hp to the ground better. Springs, adjustable pan hard bar, etc.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion