115mph doesnt cut it! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
115mph doesnt cut it!

Wanna take the gov off my car but don't know how, is it legal? And does it void warranty? I love the v6 but it tops out so fast and would love to see the speedo closer to 160 then just a simple 115, my sisters 1999 Taurus did 120! I can't even say I've went faster then that in my mustang!!!
TruTalent94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It's not illegal to remove the limiter. You will need a tune to do so. Also look at your tires and make sure they are rated to speeds above it. You don't want a tire coming apart at those speeds.

Lastly have fun on your closed road course events, most will require a roll bar as well.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
All you need is a tuner and drivshaft.

You need the tune to eliminate the rev limiter.
Then you will want a sturdy aluminum drive shaft.
You will also want "Z" or "Y" rated tires.
**( Stock two piecedrive shaft may or may not come apart at 130MPH)**
After you install the tune to get rid of the limiter and "IF" you blow the engine you probably won't have a warranty to cover the damage.
I would not worry about top speed because I'm sure your Mustang will accelerate much faster the your sisters Taurus. Her Speed-o-meter could be off by the five MPH anyway.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTalent94 View Post
Wanna take the gov off my car but don't know how, is it legal? And does it void warranty? I love the v6 but it tops out so fast and would love to see the speedo closer to 160 then just a simple 115, my sisters 1999 Taurus did 120! I can't even say I've went faster then that in my mustang!!!
Its not illegal to remove the speed gov. Its only illegal on majority of public roadways in the United States to travel at the speed gov limits. Lol. You will need a performance tuner and the company who tunes the car will remove the speed gov. You DO run the risk of voiding your warranty when your car is tuned but in order to remove the speed gov, you need the performance tune. Welcome to the world of performance mods. Lol. I tuned my stang just around 5000 miles.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Lol you're worried about the legality of the speed limiter but not the legality of driving 120+.

Anyway, removing the limiter will require an ECU tune, which does void the factory warranty.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Make sure if you do buy a tune it is a 'opened tune'. All of my tunes are opened tunes. This means i can change several things like, tire and wheel size, gear ratio and the top speed limiter. Plus a few other things.

One thing i noticed on my tunes was the 'top speed' limiter was set to 125 mph when it was sent to me, i think they do this for liability reasons. I changed my 'speed limiter' to "OFF" .
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Make sure if you do buy a tune it is a 'opened tune'. All of my tunes are opened tunes. This means i can change several things like, tire and wheel size, gear ratio and the top speed limiter. Plus a few other things.

One thing i noticed on my tunes was the 'top speed' limiter was set to 125 mph when it was sent to me, i think they do this for liability reasons. I changed my 'speed limiter' to "OFF" .
Bama removes the speed gov completely unless you ask them not too. Same with my MPT tune..Not sure about my Steeda tune
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Then you will want a sturdy aluminum drive shaft.
**( Stock two piecedrive shaft may or may not come apart at 130MPH)**
+1000000

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bama removes the speed gov completely unless you ask them not too. Same with my MPT tune..Not sure about my Steeda tune

My 3 MPT tunes came with the speed limiter set at 125mph. They knew i had an aluminum driveshaft. I checked and changed the limiter to 'off' when i would load them.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
About the warranty...maybe. The tune required to lift the speed limit can be "seen" by the dealer, even if you put the stock tune back in before you visit the dealership for any potential warranty work. No longer can you set the stock tune back into the PCM; they now can tell if/when the PCM was changed.

The one piece drive shaft is a giveaway too. Once on the lift, the mechanics will know "why" it was installed.

So, a talk with your local Ford dealerships you plan to do any potential warranty work with, asking if your warranty would be void if you changed the speed limiter would be the first thing I'd check on before making the costly changes.

If they give you a green light, no problem. If they say no, then you have a decision to make: go faster and no warranty, or do you wait until the warranty expires.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Thanks guys good info, clearing this up for you because I literally laughed when reading some of your guys posts, I don't really plan on driving over 115 but sometimes on the highway the road clears up and going 130 just makes a better talking topic when you tell people about your car. Everyone seems to call my car slow cause it's a V6 an I just wanna slap the **** outta them for saying it! I also wanted to know can't you flash your CPU so ford can't tell you ever had it tuned anyways? I've heard of people Doing it and getting away with it but wasn't sure if it's risky I do so.
TruTalent94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I stopped reading after v6 tops out so fast lol jk
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Thanks guys good info, clearing this up for you because I literally laughed when reading some of your guys posts, I don't really plan on driving over 115 but sometimes on the highway the road clears up and going 130 just makes a better talking topic when you tell people about your car. Everyone seems to call my car slow cause it's a V6 an I just wanna slap the **** outta them for saying it! I also wanted to know can't you flash your CPU so ford can't tell you ever had it tuned anyways? I've heard of people Doing it and getting away with it but wasn't sure if it's risky I do so.
Your car is slow. It will only do 113. Your new name for the forum will be "SLOW POKEY."
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
I also wanted to know can't you flash your CPU so ford can't tell you ever had it tuned anyways? I've heard of people Doing it and getting away with it but wasn't sure if it's risky I do so.
Simply put: no.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion