My Mustang story - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Taimi
Smile My Mustang story

First of all, hi

Not sure if this goes here or not, but obviously, I am a new user.

I've always loved Mustangs. When I was 5, my dad basically car-sat for one of the airmen in his unit, and I loved it when dad went out and started it, much nicer sound than the POS station wagon we had, lol.

My fiance and I have had a lot of issues with cars, first his Contour needed a fuel-filler neck that was no longer in production. Then the van we got after trading in the Contour lasted 24 days before the engine and tranny went due to a shredded headgasket. Trying to crawl 100 miles, having to stop every 5 minutes to dump water in 'nough said?

Needless to say, we finally managed to get home, and refused to make anymore payments on it, especially with all the damage to under the hood. So by March, it was 'repossessed' even though we had no IDEA where it was at that point.

My fiance spent the next 5 months walking 5 miles every day to work... On May 15th, 2013, a friend messaged me on Facebook offering her 2001 Mustang for $1500 spread over 2 months, and of course, we jumped on it.

I have always wanted a Mustang, but never thought I'd be able to afford one. Of course, having paid that low amount does have some drawbacks. For instance, we know that the SES light has been on for longer than we have had it. We took it to Orielly's, and were told it was the EGR valve, however, this morning, our local Ford dealer looked at it and said it is the DPFE... and then promptly insisted on $500 to get it fixed.

Eventually, we want to turn it into a show-car, but we need to iron out the mechanical hiccups first. I wouldn't even know WHERE to begin with souping it up(or would that even be the term) I have more ideas with the paint and body work than I do with the engine and everything else.

We have done what little maintence that we can as money allows, but from what I understand the DPFE sensor goes out all.the.time And there is no telling WHEN it went.
Taimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Well I looked it up, and you could probably find one of those sensors for around $40-$60. Not sure how much installation would be.
Regarding "souping it up", first things first; make sure it's in good working condition. That entails changing all your fluids, checking your air filter and probably changing your oil filter, and probably checking out your struts and the SES light. Now, if you take it in to a shop to do all of the labor it's going to get pretty pricey, but if you're at all mechanically inclined (We believe in you!), then you can find hundreds of guides and videos online that will walk you through those. As a poor college student with a stang, you'll save ridiculous amounts of money doing it yourself. After that, do all the cosmetics you want! They're fun.
If you want to boost performance, I suggest getting a new exhaust system first, getting a custom tune for the computer, and maybe a cold air intake. These will also help with fuel mileage, because they make your car more efficient.
Hope I could help! They're fun cars, and if you take care of them, they'll take care of you.
Jaytraeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

The Ford dealer quoted us at $430. A small performance shop quoted me at $100 plus parts. The oil filter gets changed every time we change the oil.

It would be nice if we had better gas milage. This may sound a bit odd on a Stang forum, but I am not one for noisy loud cars. After the experience with the van, I never want to hear a car I'm driving growl if I can avoid it, LOL.

What repair manual is best? I have never worked on cars before, but I grew up with a father, brother and uncle that did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My Mustang story

Don't worry too much about noise; you can still get a quiet exhaust system that's much more high flow than stock. And also, I'd definitely go with a Chilton if you want a physical manual. They instruct you on pretty much how to take apart your car and put it back together.
Also, if you want to get better mileage, try to find anything/everything that will let more air into/out of your engine. Cold Air Intakes, headers, high flow mufflers, turbos, all great. Plus they add performance, which is always nice Custom fuel saving tunes for your computer are also well worth it.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

If I was able to put the DPFE sensor on myself, how would I reset the ECU?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Real easy: just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for like 15 minutes, and then reconnect.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
The EGR valve sends recycled gas back into your intake. You can run without it for a while. Most people here eliminate the cats and have this problem because of self induced moding.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #8

We know that the valve itself is fine, but the sensor is bad.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hi Taimi. You're story sounds very similiar to mine. I had a 93 LeBaron (fell apart), 96 Ranger (kids hated it) and they always needed something done for $480 here or $800 there. Money is tight because I'm disabled. I finally saved up for a 96 GT. I love it. It's so easy to diagnose, fix and parts are reasonable. I am thankful for Mustang Evolution for helping me learn how to keep my car reliable. Congrats on your Mustang and enjoy many happy miles in the future.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #10

Got the sensor installed. Took 5 minutes and no shop required. Already noticing a HUGE difference in the way she runs. No more sputtering or popping at idle, and the hesitation while shifting and accelerating is starting to get much less noticeable. We also swapped out the chewed up terminal ends. They looked like crap. Pretty sure they didn't help matters when the battery kicked out in october. That would be less to worry about, since the annoying light is gone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion