Cupholder placement makes it unusable - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cupholder placement makes it unusable

Anyone else notice that with the manual transmission, at least on my 2010 GT, if there's a drink in the cupholder, it's in the way of your arm when you reach for the shifter? I guess I need to pick up some sort of aftermarket cup holder that I can mount near the dash or something
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Or you could just adapt to the fact that there's a cupholder on the center console and shift your arm around it. That's what I do... but I got used to it on several previous cars, mainly miata's, with the same arrangement but less space. Or carry fewer beverages.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I just make the passenger hold it...

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

No drinks or food allowed in my car.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
That is the only thing I don't like about my car. I only allow bottles with lids in mine unless I (ME) am drinking coffee.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Only type of drinks allowed are if they have a cap to them, or they are thick enough to where i know they won't spill (i.e Starbucks Frapaccinos)

HID end all thread
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
In my old new edge the cup holder closest to the shifter was useless. Even with a small cup it would hit it.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Count your blessings! Porsches don't even have cup holders! Lol
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I'm sure nobody is gonna die

Well, Maybe not too sure. While you are drinking a stupid drink you sure ain't looking where your going. When you spill it you sure as hell ain't looking where your going.
The idiot that decided to put cup holders in cars needs to be shot.
The only time I got hit in the *** is by a girl drinking coffee while driving. I was actually moving down Nova road on my way to work about 35MPH and she was also moving when she hit me. She spilled the coffee on her lap and ran off the road into the guard rail. Her air bag messed her up and all I could do is hold my temper until the police arrived.
Anybody drinking or eating or texting or playing with their GPS while driving with other cars on the road with you are taking a big chance on hurting or killing somebody. It is not necessary and just plain dumb not to wait until you get where your going to do this stupid crap instead of paying attention to your driving.
If I had more time I would tell you how I really feel about stupid cup holders.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Thats why I wear a camel pack on long hauls. No need to unscew caps or look down.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Thats why I wear a camel pack on long hauls. No need to unscew caps or look down.

And extra lumbar support too!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Only down side is when you hammer on it causing you to squeeze the pack and water to squirt out like a fire hose. Hahaha
Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
At least they got it right with the 01.5-04 consoles. The second cupholder is WELL out of the way of anything and the first one is pretty good too. I had the stupid pop out cupholder for my 95 and the one in my 98 is basically not usable. I don't know what they were thinking with the 98-01 cupholders...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Well, Maybe not too sure. While you are drinking a stupid drink you sure ain't looking where your going. When you spill it you sure as hell ain't looking where your going.
The only time I got hit in the *** is by a girl drinking coffee while driving. I was actually moving down Nova road on my way to work about 35MPH and she was also moving when she hit me. She spilled the coffee on her lap and ran off the road into the guard rail. Her air bag messed her up and all I could do is hold my temper until the police arrived.
Anybody drinking or eating or texting or playing with their GPS while driving with other cars on the road with you are taking a big chance on hurting or killing somebody. It is not necessary and just plain dumb not to wait until you get where your going to do this stupid crap instead of paying attention to your driving.

Ronnie
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel Ronnie...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
I'm not sure how my putting a can of Monster or a bottle of water in my cupholder and taking a sip at stoplights is a hazard to others, but I'm sorry to hear you were hit by a person that dropped coffee into their lap
Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Stopped ---OK---

The problem is most people don't wait until they are stopped to drink or take a nice un-needed sip of anything. They do it wile moving and cause other people problems. It's like the idiots texting while driving. What the hell is so freakin important that it can't wait until you get where your going.
Ronnie
Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
The problem is most people don't wait until they are stopped to drink or take a nice un-needed sip of anything. They do it wile moving and cause other people problems. It's like the idiots texting while driving. What the hell is so freakin important that it can't wait until you get where your going.
Ronnie
I'd just invest in a straw, then your eyes never leave the road.

HID end all thread
Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good Idea Andrew

A straw or some hose would work great.
Ronnie
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

U guys don't drive with one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4193672681.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	145619  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I bought coffee mugs with lids that perfectly match the height of the arm rest while in the holder, I don't use anything too tall or it's sealed and in passenger seat.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
This is my first vehicle with cup holders, so I can't really complain. But even the back holder on my '14 gets annoying if I have my drink cup from work, especially shifting into 2nd and 4th. I have spilled several drinks in my older vehicles, dropped cigarettes, etc. I always pull over immediately to fix it, rather than take my eyes off the road and go fishing.

The whole center console is a bit janky. The angle it takes to get my arm into the storage compartment goes against the laws of physics and the cup holders are just in the right spot that they get in the way of the shifter AND keep you from resting your arm when you have a medium sized drink in one of them.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

II guess this is the one spot where autos win. lol
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
II guess this is the one spot where autos win. lol
Yeah, iirc my mk1 mr2 had the same problem
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuvool View Post
Yeah, iirc my mk1 mr2 had the same problem
A fellow mk1 MR2 owner?! On a Mustang forum?! Forever holding drinks between our legs unless we bought an awkward aftermarket cup holder. I get free fountain drinks at work, but always had to buy capped bottles so I could toss them in the passenger seat. If I had a fountain drink, the lid would always come off when I pushed the clutch in because the interior was more of a cockpit.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
A fellow mk1 MR2 owner?! On a Mustang forum?! Forever holding drinks between our legs unless we bought an awkward aftermarket cup holder. I get free fountain drinks at work, but always had to buy capped bottles so I could toss them in the passenger seat. If I had a fountain drink, the lid would always come off when I pushed the clutch in because the interior was more of a cockpit.
Sounds about right. I'm 6ft tall so there wasn't really much room in there anyways. My passengers hated riding in it, I installed a custom 8" sub enclosure in the passenger footwell. My ex wife was the only person that could sit there comfortably. I think I drove without drinks in that thing and if it was a long drive (stationed in GA at the time) we took the explorer
Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie
I guess if I were hit by someone who was drinking coffee or something I would be pissed too but to argue that everyone must not be allowed to drink in their car is probably the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. The chick that hit him was more likely doing her damn makeup than drinking coffee or whatever. The split second it takes to grab your drink doesn't make you an unsafe driver. I drink a cup of coffee on my way to work every morning and when I think about it, I don't think I even look at my cup but ever so slightly to make sure the hole is towards my mouth.

People spend more time looking at their speedometer or radio than looking at a coffee cup. Guess I'll have to see how I feel after I get rearended by someone who "was drinking coffee" to see how I feel about it. Might be a different story then I guess, but for not that sounds quite outlandish.

Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. I bought mine in Atlanta with my buddy that's 6' riding shotgun all the way back to Kansas. He couldn't finish his 20oz because he'd tilt it back and it would hit the roof. Big bumps would give him a decent knock on the head. I had an 8" sub behind the passenger seat so you couldn't really adjust it. I don't miss how slow that thing was, but with 4 blown struts, mismatched and staggered tires that I bought used (one was even cording), and completely stock aside from a header and exhaust, I was embarrassing a 2010 Porsche Boxster S at the auto-x.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok take away the cupholders, better take away the radio, HVAC controls and turn off any/all interior adjustment features while the car is in D too. I do agree that there should be VERY harsh penalties for using a cell phone in the car without hands free and if you get caught texting and driving there should be mandatory jail time and a minimum 6 month license suspension, no questions asked. But taking away my morning 45 minute commute coffee? Thems fighting words.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the old Mk1 MR2 wasn't fast by any means, but it was nearly a go-kart that was street legal. I don't think I could safely corner like that in most cars...at least until it got wet out, at which point they spin like a top due to the lack of polar weight
Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Try it with a Super Double Big Gulp (or whatever the biggest one 7-11 sells), totally in the way.
PatinMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

My parent's corvette doesn't even have cup holders.

HID end all thread
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

IMO, the below is going to be the best interior upgrade I will do to my car.

Just need it to warm up so I can paint it in the garage and have it actually stick. Below 0 weather=no.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
IMO, the below is going to be the best interior upgrade I will do to my car.

Just need it to warm up so I can paint it in the garage and have it actually stick. Below 0 weather=no.
You'll still have to maneuver around tall drinks but you get used to it. That'll be a big improvement over your old one .
It actually feels strange if I don't have a 44oz drink in my car to get in the way.
I've even been known to autocross with my drink in the cupholder...
The guys at the track laugh at me.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd be laughing at them as they are thirsty and my super big gulp full of Mountain Dew is keeping me nice and alert and then having to pee from it making me go around the track even faster to get to the bathroom lol.

But yeah I hear you in that I'll have to get used to the drinks being there. Hell I'm going to need to get used to the drink being there PERIOD. When I did my black interior the parts were from a 95 so my 98 cupholders went away. Then I cut up the 95 console to put my 98 cupholders back in and they still suck especially with my shifter modded 1.5" further back it just slams into anything in the front and the back holder... I dunno who thought a shallow wide one was a good idea for anything unless they were like stacking cookies in it or something... This 01 console will only ever see anything in the rear cupholder, mostly coffee with lids. My carpet is ACC carpet and if I goober it up over the course of a few years I can just buy another one. Seats are vinyl and will not absorb spills.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd be laughing at them as they are thirsty and my super big gulp full of Mountain Dew is keeping me nice and alert and then having to pee from it making me go around the track even faster to get to the bathroom lol.

But yeah I hear you in that I'll have to get used to the drinks being there. Hell I'm going to need to get used to the drink being there PERIOD. When I did my black interior the parts were from a 95 so my 98 cupholders went away. Then I cut up the 95 console to put my 98 cupholders back in and they still suck especially with my shifter modded 1.5" further back it just slams into anything in the front and the back holder... I dunno who thought a shallow wide one was a good idea for anything unless they were like stacking cookies in it or something... This 01 console will only ever see anything in the rear cupholder, mostly coffee with lids. My carpet is ACC carpet and if I goober it up over the course of a few years I can just buy another one. Seats are vinyl and will not absorb spills.
Lmao.
I ***** you not Scotty, I HAVE gotten out and taken a whiz in between laps because of too much coffee and those damned 44oz Arnold Palmers that I'm always drinking...

I guess the lesson from all of this is: If we want well placed cupholders, we have to start driving bigger vehicles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion