Ford Racing Hot rod cams - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd204 View Post
Oh man. Counting down the days till spring. Usually winter I'll buy and stock up on new stuff for the car. So once spring comes I have all this cool new stuff to install. Are u planning on installing cams yourself?
I bet that's exiting and well I have a buddy that knows how to do it I hardly know about veichles but I know a lil I learn as I go you know and I'm still in high school so i gotta be patient when I want parts
32GT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey,
I have the hotrod cams in my 07 gt 5 speed and love them. I have installed these and comp mutha thumpers, and the hot rods are the better for a street stang if you drive normal at times. Whatever someone "heard" bad about hotrod cams, is just hear say. I have the cams, I have installed 6 sets, and EVERYONE LOVES THEM that I know. Currently I have the 93r bama tune, ford racing intake, jlt series 3 cai, sr underdrives, jba cat4ward equal length shorty headers, pypes catless x-pipe, pypes mid muffler bomb catback, 410 rear gear. Idle is mean as hell, absolutely nobody really wants to race cause your car will sound just dirty whore mean....

The ford racing intake I bought mainly because I am going forced induction. I have a non intercooled vortech v3 brenspeed kit that I plan on installing in the next couple of weeks. The intake looks great, I did not lose any low end at all, but my guess would be 25hp gain on the topend. I plan on doing the air to air cooler kit, most likely this summer....

so basically, I say yes to the hotrod cams, yes to the ford racing intake manifold.
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gsxr1000nos View Post
Hey,
I have the hotrod cams in my 07 gt 5 speed and love them. I have installed these and comp mutha thumpers, and the hot rods are the better for a street stang if you drive normal at times. Whatever someone "heard" bad about hotrod cams, is just hear say. I have the cams, I have installed 6 sets, and EVERYONE LOVES THEM that I know. Currently I have the 93r bama tune, ford racing intake, jlt series 3 cai, sr underdrives, jba cat4ward equal length shorty headers, pypes catless x-pipe, pypes mid muffler bomb catback, 410 rear gear. Idle is mean as hell, absolutely nobody really wants to race cause your car will sound just dirty whore mean....

The ford racing intake I bought mainly because I am going forced induction. I have a non intercooled vortech v3 brenspeed kit that I plan on installing in the next couple of weeks. The intake looks great, I did not lose any low end at all, but my guess would be 25hp gain on the topend. I plan on doing the air to air cooler kit, most likely this summer....

so basically, I say yes to the hotrod cams, yes to the ford racing intake manifold.
I agree with you!!
Vistablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Once you hear ford's hot rod cams you will love them
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I have FRPP hot rod cams and I'd suggest brenspeed, little harder lope, little more power.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gsxr1000nos View Post
Hey,

That's what I like to hear man you almost have the same mods I want thanks for your input I appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Once you hear ford's hot rod cams you will love them
Sounds great man I've been listening to vids all day I'm starting to get impatient now lol
Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32GT32 View Post
I have an auto and now Im thinking of doing what your telling me about how much would I spend on the gears and stall do you know?
I am looking into the Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing TB, Ford Racing Intake, Ford Racing Headers, and converter for my spring project.

I have a 2007 Shelby GT, 17000 miles, with 4:10 Gears, Ford Racing CAI, x-pipe, and Ford Racing exhaust. The car made 330 rwhp last fall with Shebly adders and a BAMA Tune. I am hoping for 360 rwhp adding the cams, TB, intake, and converter. Not sure what converter as TCI may be too much at 3K. Need some help on this!

I want to go FI but 5K to replace a bottom end with only 17000 miles does not make any sense at this time.

Just my 2 cents........
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
I am looking into the Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing TB, Ford Racing Intake, Ford Racing Headers, and converter for my spring project.

I have a 2007 Shelby GT, 17000 miles, with 4:10 Gears, Ford Racing CAI, x-pipe, and Ford Racing exhaust. The car made 330 rwhp last fall with Shebly adders and a BAMA Tune. I am hoping for 360 rwhp adding the cams, TB, intake, and converter. Not sure what converter as TCI may be too much at 3K. Need some help on this!

I want to go FI but 5K to replace a bottom end with only 17000 miles does not make any sense at this time.

Just my 2 cents........
that torque convertor is 518 bucks at American mucscle you may get some 10 or so hp out of some under pulleys 15 or so with some shorty headers
gt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
You guys with the cams < do your car's PASS Emmisions / state inspection ??
Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
You guys with the cams < do your car's PASS Emmisions / state inspection ??
Don't have cams on yet but where I'm from they don't check that stuff
Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
Few days late to this but here ya go.

The throttle body is a waste of cash unless you're boosted. The factory manifold provides enough flow until you get into a boosted application so save the cash. Also, I would skip the TCI tq converter as it's just a rebuilt stock converter. If you want a good tq converter, try looking at PI (performance industries). They stamp their own shells and provide internals, they're a more stout converter.

I haven't had any issues driving mine and it's still on the stock gears (3:31) and tq converter. I've got a Steeda CAI, ARH long tubes with a catted X, and the hot rods. The thing is fun as hell to drive. I don't have an email tune though, I took it to one of the best tune shops in the south and had them dyno it so she runs like a scalded dog.

These were not wide open pulls.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post

The throttle body is a waste of cash unless you're boosted. The factory manifold provides enough flow until you get into a boosted application so save the cash. Also, I would skip the TCI tq converter as it's just a rebuilt stock converter. If you want a good tq converter, try looking at PI (performance industries). They stamp their own shells and provide internals, they're a more stout converter.

I haven't had any issues driving mine and it's still on the stock gears (3:31) and tq converter. I've got a Steeda CAI, ARH long tubes with a catted X, and the hot rods. The thing is fun as hell to drive. I don't have an email tune though, I took it to one of the best tune shops in the south and had them dyno it so she runs like a scalded dog.

Ahh man yeah my friend told me why I wanted a throttle body and manifold intake if I wasn't boosted a few people said they could feel a difference but I just ordered my cams today what do you think I should get next? I have pypes bomb x pipe pypes bomb axle back Obama custom tunes jlt series 3 cold air I'm gonna switch out the exhaust and go jba h pipe and jba long tube headers. And still have 3.31 gears like you I wanted to cut down my 1/4 time so I wanted to go 4.10 that's when people mentioned about the stall and all the other stuff that could help me out
Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

sounds bad a$$ how is the 0 to 60 with those 3.31s
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Destination S19;1937168]Few days late to this but here ya go.

Your car sounds great! Long tubes the only way to go!

What stall are you running? Do you still have the OEM driveshaft?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahh man yeah my friend told me why I wanted a throttle body and manifold intake if I wasn't boosted a few people said they could feel a difference but I just ordered my cams today what do you think I should get next? I have pypes bomb x pipe pypes bomb axle back Obama custom tunes jlt series 3 cold air I'm gonna switch out the exhaust and go jba h pipe and jba long tube headers. And still have 3.31 gears like you I wanted to cut down my 1/4 time so I wanted to go 4.10 that's when people mentioned about the stall and all the other stuff that could help me out
I would grab a set of 3:73s unless you plan on going with a full blown tubed race slick. I've seen some guys get 4:10s because it makes them feel faster on the road and then they end up spinning too much at the track and then blame the tires. 4:10s can be problematic IMO with the 5R55 because the first and second gears are already short enough.

If I planned on being at the track a lot, I would spend some money on the mishimoto trans cooler with the electric fan and run a switch under the dash so you can run the fan and cool the trans between runs. Heat is a killer in automatics. The 5R55 also needs to have the second and third gear bands replaced with tougher ones if you really plan on making a track car, and even is street cars with power they're the weak points in our transmissions.

As far as exhaust goes, I'm running ARH long tubes with a catted X and corsa extreme mufflers but exhaust is highly preferential so the sound that you enjoy is totally up to you. I do recommend a dyno tune with cams and long tubes though, email tunes won't be nearly as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt07 View Post
sounds bad a$$ how is the 0 to 60 with those 3.31s
I haven't been back to the track since I installed the cams, long tubes, and had the car dyno tuned. Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:

Your car sounds great! Long tubes the only way to go!

What stall are you running? Do you still have the OEM driveshaft?
Thanks! Stock stall for now, I do plan on getting a 3200 or 3600 stall in the future. Still a stock driveshaft.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

are you sure you have 3.31s check your door or vin look for cd or cv. cd means it came with 3.55s alot of the gt pemiums with the hood scoop have them
Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I installed 4:10 gears late summer and I don't regret it yet. Will have to see if the converter changes my mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt07 View Post
are you sure you have 3.31s check your door or vin look for cd or cv. cd means it came with 3.55s alot of the gt pemiums with the hood scoop have them
All of the automatics came with 3:31 rear gears and I'm not even sure Ford offered anything different. The diff cover says 3:31 from Ford.

I put the hood scoop on as well

She's gone through a lot of changes.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
All of the automatics came with 3:31 rear gears and I'm not even sure Ford offered anything different. The diff cover says 3:31 from Ford.

She's gone through a lot of changes.

Nice front end I was going to get the roush front end but decided just to keep it stock an add hid fog lights Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1391201301.538596.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	146653
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

What was your synonymous numbers Destination S19?? If you don't mind me asking

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Sorry meant DYNO #
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistablue View Post
What was your synonymous numbers Destination S19?? If you don't mind me asking

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Sorry meant DYNO #
The highest it showed before he had to cut the final run short was 324rwhp. He stopped it around 5500rpms because the head temps were getting high. It was near 100 degrees that day with high humidity. He made an educated guess that if he had kept into and ran it to 6500 it would have put down 340 at the wheels. The torque table was just that, a table, you could have set a plate on it. Tq was 313.

You can see where he had to cut the run short in the graph and how flat the torque is on it, thats impressive if you ask me. Nice amount of torque through the whole power band.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

She's gone through a lot of changes. ford offered 3 rear gearing in 2005 to 2009 bg=3.31 without limited slip cg=3.31 with limited slip and cd=3.55 with limited slip and was available in an auto

Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The highest it showed before he had to cut the final run short was 324rwhp. He stopped it around 5500rpms because the head temps were getting high. It was near 100 degrees that day with high humidity. He made an educated guess that if he had kept into and ran it to 6500 it would have put down 340 at the wheels. The torque table was just that, a table, you could have set a plate on it. Tq was 313.

You can see where he had to cut the run short in the graph and how flat the torque is on it, thats impressive if you ask me. Nice amount of torque through the whole power band.

That's pretty good man!! I'd be happy with that!!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would grab a set of 3:73s unless you plan on going with a full blown tubed race slick. I've seen some guys get 4:10s because it makes them feel faster on the road and then they end up spinning too much at the track and then blame the tires. 4:10s can be problematic IMO with the 5R55 because the first and second gears are already short enough.

If I planned on being at the track a lot, I would spend some money on the mishimoto trans cooler with the electric fan and run a switch under the dash so you can run the fan and cool the trans between runs. Heat is a killer in automatics. The 5R55 also needs to have the second and third gear bands replaced with tougher ones if you really plan on making a track car, and even is street cars with power they're the weak points in our transmissions.

As far as exhaust goes, I'm running ARH long tubes with a catted X and corsa extreme mufflers but exhaust is highly preferential so the sound that you enjoy is totally up to you. I do recommend a dyno tune with cams and long tubes though, email tunes won't be nearly as good.

I haven't been back to the track since I installed the cams, long tubes, and had the car dyno tuned. Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks! Stock stall for now, I do plan on getting a 3200 or 3600 stall in the future. Still a stock driveshaft.
I see what your what your saying and I do go to the track but I don't want to make it an all out track car it is my daily driver and I'll be going through tires like its nothing with the 4.10s correct? I'll probably do what you told me and go with 3.73
Old 02-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the hot rod cams. I love them and with pypes mid muffler pipes it's pretty loud even with cats. Once I installed them, later that week I was installing 3.73 gears. Top end is awesome, but with 3.31 gears, the bottom end was horrible. Does sounds good and makes good power. I always have ppl asking me about them. I have also had 0 issues with them.
Vista blue since we both know how bad the 3.31 are top end how are the 3.73? Do you have any vids of pulls by chance and if I get gears will they affect HP TQ on the dyno?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Vista blue since we both know how bad the 3.31 are top end how are the 3.73? Do you have any vids of pulls by chance and if I get gears will they affect HP TQ on the dyno?
The 3.73's are good. I like them. I have a 5-speed so second gear pulls from 45 mph are awesome!! With stock 245 tires if I launch anything higher than 2,500 rpm at the track, it spins and doesn't hook. If I launch anything under that it boggs down off the line. So I'm going to get some drag radials and hopefully it hooks pretty well. I don't really care about gas mileage so if I could turn back time I would have went with 4.10's. but if you do a lot of driving on the street if go with 3.73. I live in ohio so my cars only drivable for 7-8 months anyway. I don't have any videos on the pulls. I've heard they affect the numbers on the DYNO and I've heard they don't. Never had mine on a DYNO yet so idk. Is your car a Manuel?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The 3.73's are good. I like them. I have a 5-speed so second gear pulls from 45 mph are awesome!! With stock 245 tires if I launch anything higher than 2,500 rpm at the track, it spins and doesn't hook. If I launch anything under that it boggs down off the line. So I'm going to get some drag radials and hopefully it hooks pretty well. I don't really care about gas mileage so if I could turn back time I would have went with 4.10's. but if you do a lot of driving on the street if go with 3.73. I live in ohio so my cars only drivable for 7-8 months anyway. I don't have any videos on the pulls. I've heard they affect the numbers on the DYNO and I've heard they don't. Never had mine on a DYNO yet so idk. Is your car a Manuel?
That's good man i need a better top end and I don't really care about gas mileage either I mean its part of having a v8 in my opinion but I don't want to sit there and spin either I also don't know how 4.10 are top end and unfortunately no my car is auto
Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's good man i need a better top end and I don't really care about gas mileage either I mean its part of having a v8 in my opinion but I don't want to sit there and spin either I also don't know how 4.10 are top end and unfortunately no my car is auto
Yeah. I'm mean I have 3.73 and I can still go 140++. Sooooo no problem there
Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah. I'm mean I have 3.73 and I can still go 140++. Sooooo no problem there
What rpm do you shift on?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Had my stock Shelby GT auto on the Dyno last October and with 4:10 gears and a 91 tune from BAMA she put down 336 HP at 6500 RMP with 320 lbs of Torque at 5100 RPM. I had issues getting the car to hook up under 3000 RPMs on the dyno. I would spin the tires. I have a video but it is a pull that the tires broke loose. It was a perfect day for the Dyno 70 and no humidity.

The car is a monster out of the hole. It is shifting at 6200 RPMs. Will smoke the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears on street tires.

Purchased Kooks Long Tubes with Cats and Hot Rod Cams. Still need a stall convertor but I am still researching the RPM. I think around 2800 to 3000 should work but I can't get an answer from anyone. Hoping for 360-365 HP with my new setup.

Good luck with yours.... Don't fear the gear!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Had my stock Shelby GT auto on the Dyno last October and with 4:10 gears and a 91 tune from BAMA she put down 336 HP at 6500 RMP with 320 lbs of Torque at 5100 RPM. I had issues getting the car to hook up under 3000 RPMs on the dyno. I would spin the tires. I have a video but it is a pull that the tires broke loose. It was a perfect day for the Dyno 70 and no humidity.

The car is a monster out of the hole. It is shifting at 6200 RPMs. Will smoke the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears on street tires.

Purchased Kooks Long Tubes with Cats and Hot Rod Cams. Still need a stall convertor but I am still researching the RPM. I think around 2800 to 3000 should work but I can't get an answer from anyone. Hoping for 360-365 HP with my new setup.

Good luck with yours.... Don't fear the gear!
That's not RWHP though. Running the numbers it saw between 270 and 280 at the wheels.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's not RWHP though. Running the numbers it saw between 270 and 280 at the wheels.

That is RWHP! How would YOU know what the RWHP was on the DYNO? 270 is a STOCK GT! Everyone is an expert!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is RWHP! How would YOU know what the RWHP was on the DYNO? 270 is a STOCK GT! Everyone is an expert!
:facepalm

Because a Shelby GT is just a GT with suspension and body modifications. Unless you mean't to say Shelby GT 500, but then you're way underpowered for some reason.

Stock rwhp for a 3V is 260 ish btw.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What rpm do you shift on?
Ummmm right before red line I think. Lol I haven't drove the car in 3 1/2- 4 months. Tend to forget. Hahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion