Mustang Evolution Forum banner

MyColor Instrument Cluster Switch

13K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Mustang_2005 
#1 ·
I'm looking into upgrading my instrument cluster to one with mycolor. Anyone know if all the instrument clusters from 05-09 would be a direct fit?

I've checked the wires and all, I just want to make sure there's no subtle difference I'm missing.

Thanks!

#2 ·
This is a very talked about subject. The cluster should work (from what I've seen in other threads), but you'll also have to find the dash switch (3 switch panel with Reset, Info, Setup) and see if the connector for that is behind the blank out plate to the left of the power point at the top of the dash.

#10 ·
Not a problem. Hope it helps. I know the MyColour retrofit is a popular mod. Not gonna lie, wish I could make my gauges just cycle through random colours like my headunit can. lol

#11 · (Edited)
If you use a cluster from 05=06 you would be better off. Otherwise you will have your TMPS light on and if you don't have traction control, that light will also come on. ABS? That will also show if you don't have it. All of these can be covered up by lifting the face and putting tape over the light that is not to be used. It is easier and cheaper than reprogramming the cluster. The 07 up have all those goodies to worry about. The switch is 6r3z18578aa . The old number is 4r3z10d889aaa.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for the response. What's goodies do the 07 up have that I don't need?

I don't have anything, the car is without any options so no abs or anything.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

And do you have a part number for the instrument cluster itself?

#13 ·
What I'm saying is the 07 up have TMPS light, traction control light, ABS and Brake lights. Some are not required in 2005 and 06, but are in the 07 and up. I did this swap into my 07 and had an ABS and a traction control light on. I went to a GT cluster with full gauges and 8k tach. They all work perfectly, and the cluster is accurate for speed. I took up the corner of the face plate and installed some electrical tape to cover the light hole for the ABS and the traction control. That takes care of the lights showing. That was the only thing I ran into. Otherwise, since I had TPMS from the factory, I needed the light anyways. The cluster doesn't give you any other options, but it gives you the faux gauges, so that makes it worthwhile. (Yes they are actually not very good gauges on the Temp and

I've added every kind of option to my 07 that I wish would of came on the car originally. I put in GT leather takeoffs, ambient light console, Homelink w.dim mirror, , 2012 outside mirrors, speaker covers and lighted vanity mirrors. Also the front and rear CS/GT bumpers, power seats (both), seat heaters, 2013 Boss strg wheel (I just got the audio controls to work with the SYNC & Navi head I just installed), 2012 GT rims, Dynamax dual exhaust w/GT takeoff mufflers, 7.5 posi with 373's, all the side, hood, and window louvers & scoops. The list just keeps going on. lol

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

What I'm saying is the 07 up have TMPS light, traction control light, ABS and Brake lights. Some are not required in 2005 and 06, but are in the 07 and up. I did this swap into my 07 and had an ABS and a traction control light on. I went to a GT cluster with full gauges and 8k tach. They all work perfectly, and the cluster is accurate for speed. I took up the corner of the face plate and installed some electrical tape to cover the light hole for the ABS and the traction control. That takes care of the lights showing. That was the only thing I ran into. Otherwise, since I had TPMS from the factory, I needed the light anyways. The cluster doesn't give you any other options, but it gives you the faux gauges, so that makes it worthwhile. (Yes they are actually not very good gauges on the Temp and

I've added every kind of option to my 07 that I wish would of came on the car originally. I put in GT leather takeoffs, ambient light console, Homelink w.dim mirror, , 2012 outside mirrors, speaker covers and lighted vanity mirrors. Also the front and rear CS/GT bumpers, power seats (both), seat heaters, 2013 Boss strg wheel (I just got the audio controls to work with the SYNC & Navi head I just installed), 2012 GT rims, Dynamax dual exhaust w/GT takeoff mufflers, 7.5 posi with 373's, all the side, hood, and window louvers & scoops. The list just keeps going on. lol

#14 · (Edited)
Dude exactly! I'm doing the same thing! I didn't know the 2012 mirrors even fit ours! I'd love to get the full list (no rush!) to see what other mods I can add - this 07 has basically nothing. :)

Thanks for the info on the instrument cluster. Do all your gauges work on the GT cluster like temp and all? and are you saying those gauges are not very good?

Also, couldn't they flash the cluster so that the lights do not come on?

#15 · (Edited)
Yes all the gauges work, and sure they can flash it. It just takes finding a dealer to do the work.. Up here, we are very limited, so it is easier to make sure it work first time. lol.

Also, did your Mustang come with the Shaker head? Just wondering when it comes to updating the audio system. Cluster gone.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a set of 2010 mirrors to put on my 2005. akdoggie, can you please pm me about how you installed the center console and auto dim mirror? I really want to swap for the ambient light console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.