2000 Mustang GT Question... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Region: California
Unhappy 2000 Mustang GT Question...

Hello everybody, well, i recently bought this Ford Mustang GT from a friend, has many extras, but was stored about 2 years or so and i do not change oil yet but i will, question is, when first start car, cold start, runs great, no noises or weird things, but when let idle until gets its operating temperature starts to puts out blue smoke, could be the old oil or something else? I will change oil by tomorrow, but if someone knows what is happening i will appreciate...Friend stops the car because undercarriage, not because anythings wrong with engine, has 124k on it, thanks...
Kimberlator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I have a question, did you replace that gas that was sitting in the tank for two years? It might have been bad. But that would not cause the blue smoke, that must be something to do with the oil. I would have changed the oil and oil filter (might as well) before you even started the car for the first time.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Blue smoke indicates oil is getting burned. Does it only happen after idling or is it constant after the engine is warmed up?
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

2000 Mustang GT Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuvool View Post
Blue smoke indicates oil is getting burned. Does it only happen after idling or is it constant after the engine is warmed up?
This is correct, and I assume it's burning a little bit of oil the whole time it's running, but at idle is the only time the blue smoke is visible.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Valve seals are a likely culprit in a higher mileage engine. 124k is kind of low, but it's a thought
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

Nop, my fault, but by today its not the same gas, and smoke is clearly visible just when is at its fully operation condition, not from a cold start, even if i drive it a few blocks no smoke at all but just when the temp needle reaches just before middle way smoke is visible, i didnt change oil though but could be just the oil? old oil? Thanks for the lightning fast response...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

No smoke at cold start at all, blue smoke is completely visible when car is ready to go or warmed up at operating temp, my question is if i change the old oil will solve this issue? oil is not black or dirty look though...but 2 years sitting could degrade a bit or something...IMHO
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Car was parked 2 years because of undercarriage issue, but not because has engine problems, in fact this baby runs pretty strong, even with that ugly blue smoke, so this could be something about 2-year-park-related problem, or not? If i start the car from a cold start, or first start in the morning and let it idle for a 2 minutes or so i can go for a drive without any smoke, but when reaches its temp starts smoke, remember that is the same oil since was parked, 2 years ago...could be the oil? if i change it should the smoke go away?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Could oil degrade in anyway if not used about the time the car was in the garage?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #10

And another thing, when car is hot, meaning at operating temp, i took off the oil gauge and oil looks like water, no viscosity at all, if its mean something for the learned people...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well I'm pretty sure changing the oil will not fix your problem but you should anyways. My next suggestion would be to see if the problem will become less frequent after the car is being used. Cause the oil in the car now has been sitting still for two years straight.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

What oil type and namebrand is the best or more reliable to put it in, has 124k miles in it, and i have to put 5 or 6 oil cans?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #13

Ok, then oil viscosity at cold has nothing to do with the non-smoke condition as well as oil viscosity has nothing to do with the smoke-condition at operating temp is this correct? Many thanks for your response...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlator View Post
What oil type and namebrand is the best or more reliable to put it in, has 124k miles in it, and i have to put 5 or 6 oil cans?

I use castrol gtx high mileage, 10-30 I think. I'm not sure how much oil for the 4.6 but in my 5.0 i put on a new filter then put in 4 quarts then measure and put in the last quart.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #15

So according with what i´ve stated what´s the cause of blue smoke at operating temp and no smoke when cold? and the possible correcting measure to get rid of that awful smoke...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlator View Post
So according with what i´ve stated what´s the cause of blue smoke at operating temp and no smoke when cold? and the possible correcting measure to get rid of that awful smoke...

Like stated above man, your blue smoke is caused by burning oil. Now why it only happens at operating temp is odd. My first approach would be swap the old junk out and then put a few miles on the car and see what is up. After that.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #17

Thank you very much, that will be my starting point and see what happen
Old 01-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Not a problem man, good luck. Maybe some one else will have some more info for you
Old 01-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Not a problem man, good luck. Maybe some one else will have some more info for you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2000 mustang